• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Picard

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was an excellent review. I agree with everything he said, and he said it much better than I could have.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So… a question…
Why didn’t those armed SWAT/FBI (Whoever they are) shoot Queen Jurati to bits when she assimilated them first soldier…? Huh? Or at least try?

And why didn’t she go to a BDSM Emporium for her new outfit? I’m sure there are some in LA!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The finale almost made up for what was a pretty terrible season. I did like how it cycled back to the first episode and stayed true to Picard and Q’s relationship. Just really disappointed in the journey to get there.

That said, it certainly left some messy plot holes.

Last edited:

Revan100

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Rich."

"What?"

"Do... do you remember when Elnor was an... uh... Emergency Combat Hologram?"

"I do remember when they did that because he got to cut all the people with the sword."

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PICARD season two....

Watched the final episode "Farewell", it was better than the last few episodes, but I am not sure that is saying much.

The highlight and most powerful moment in the episode for me is between Picard and Q.
It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I definitely got emotional during it.

However, within the context of the preceding 9 episodes, it is completely and utterly unearned. It is 100% dependent on the viewer have a relationship with these characters from the original TNG series. Season one did a very similar scene in its season one final with Picard and Data, but that at least was the driving force of the entire season narrative.

Thematically, in season two, there is much to like. Unfortunately, the overall execution was mostly sloppy and lazy.
For a Ticking Clock plot, there was no tension or urgency.
Most episodes spin their wheels with pointless busy work.
It is at best a 4 or 5 episode painfully spread out over 10.
And because the narrative is so mismanaged, when a BIG Moment does occur, it lacks any true impact.
So frustrating.

Many other have commented, and I have to agree, this is the weakest written season of Star Trek I have ever struggled to watch.

Hopefully, lessons have been learned, and we will go out on a high with season three.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went into the finale with super low expectations, and luckily I was pleasantly surprised with a mediocre-to-good episode. Certainly the best episode since the second. The problems with it were mostly that it was tying up the lackluster story arc, and it hinged on a couple of moments that just didn't land for me. It was nice to see Wil Wheaton, but I was so disinterested in Kore and so used to seeing actors playing different roles this season that I didn't really care when he showed up, and I wasn't even sure who he was supposed to be at first. Q's motivations were still a bit opaque, but I did like his line that "even gods have favorites". I was also disappointed by Rios' decision to stay in the 21st Century. And I'm not 100% sure the causality loop of Jurati being the Borg Queen in the future works since that should have been the unaltered timeline, but I'll have to rewatch to be sure.

Now that it's over, I'm trying to mentally construct a season-to-movie edit, and I think my previous statements about what can be cut still work. A rough outline is
  1. Move the Elnor backstory we finally got in episode 8(?) to the beginning as a prologue
  2. Season 2 credits
  3. Cut Elnor from episode 2 and all of Raffi's visions of him
  4. Cut the entire ICE arrest and chase
  5. Cut everything about Guinan, jump straight to Talinn being the Watcher when Picard goes looking for her
  6. Cut the entire story of Picard's mother
  7. Cut the entire Kore storyline
  8. Cut the long, unnecessary Jurati singing scene
  9. Cut the entire FBI storyline
  10. Try to minimize the more outrageous parts of the storming of the vineyard, like Borg beamed into the walls (how could that be explained?!)
  11. Maybe cut the drone from Soong's final plan to streamline it for time

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...so, now that we had our little two season experiment to train the writers, lets trash the original cast as well (hope not mind you)...
apart from the dissonant key change at the end (do they not realise this can be pitch corrected), looks hopeful.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The bit at the end of that trailer where it says "Patrick Stewart + Jonathan Frakes + Marina Sirtis + Brent Spiner => Joining the cast for Season 3" makes me think it wasn't really them in S1&2, just some kind of deep-fake simulacrum perhaps? That would explain a lot.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"PROJECT: KHAN" -- a bit too on the nose perhaps? lol

Though it aligns nicely with what we saw of Soong's descendant in ENTERPRISE.

But honestly, I would LOVE to see a prequel series about the Eugenics War!
GARY SEVEN VS KHAN!!!!

I love this idea so much, I made this bonus feature ages ago ....

😁

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went into the finale with super low expectations, and luckily I was pleasantly surprised with a mediocre-to-good episode. Certainly the best episode since the second. The problems with it were mostly that it was tying up the lackluster story arc, and it hinged on a couple of moments that just didn't land for me. It was nice to see Wil Wheaton, but I was so disinterested in Kore and so used to seeing actors playing different roles this season that I didn't really care when he showed up, and I wasn't even sure who he was supposed to be at first. Q's motivations were still a bit opaque, but I did like his line that "even gods have favorites". I was also disappointed by Rios' decision to stay in the 21st Century. And I'm not 100% sure the causality loop of Jurati being the Borg Queen in the future works since that should have been the unaltered timeline, but I'll have to rewatch to be sure.

Now that it's over, I'm trying to mentally construct a season-to-movie edit, and I think my previous statements about what can be cut still work. A rough outline is
  1. Move the Elnor backstory we finally got in episode 8(?) to the beginning as a prologue
  2. Season 2 credits
  3. Cut Elnor from episode 2 and all of Raffi's visions of him
  4. Cut the entire ICE arrest and chase
  5. Cut everything about Guinan, jump straight to Talinn being the Watcher when Picard goes looking for her
  6. Cut the entire story of Picard's mother
  7. Cut the entire Kore storyline
  8. Cut the long, unnecessary Jurati singing scene
  9. Cut the entire FBI storyline
  10. Try to minimize the more outrageous parts of the storming of the vineyard, like Borg beamed into the walls (how could that be explained?!)
  11. Maybe cut the drone from Soong's final plan to streamline it for time
Can't wait for this ;)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...there were too many contivances or sloppy plotting and MAGIC...such as,
when RIOS crashes HIS drone into another, his is ok, the other blows up?
FFS!

Picard repeating Q's
"what was it he said, a surprise"
....are viewers attention spans and ability to recall what Q sais 3 mins ago that short? NOPE... I think it shows the insecurity of the makers./writers...

The whole anomoly / threat resolution was just poo!...I had forgotten there was even a threat

It was not terrible, but it was not good IMO.
4/10

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, long time IGN Trek critic Scott Collura does not hold back: "the worst season of Trek ever?"

Edit: I see Bob already said much the same thing above. But, when the writing is so bad even the performances can't make up for it even a little...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STAR TREK: PICARD Season 2 beams down on Blu-ray, DVD, and in Steelbook packaging for collectors to bring home this October

I for one won’t be doing an edit since I don’t think there is a decent or credible narrative to extract this time round….

Wasted opportunity imho

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Our first look at the reunion crew....

...and we see Worf, and breath a sigh of relief! No Disco Klingon redesign!!!

Also mentioned at Comic Con, two more Trek series in development... perhaps a Captain Seven show to replace Picard?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And, for those who, like me, watched the RLM reviews of Picard S2 but still only got an impression of what actually happened, here's a definite autopsy: :p

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Our first look at the reunion crew....

...and we see Worf, and breath a sigh of relief! No Disco Klingon redesign!!!

Also mentioned at Comic Con, two more Trek series in development... perhaps a Captain Seven show to replace Picard?
....so it's taken 3 years to finally determine that what they should have done at the start, is actually going to happen...except that now it fees tainted as a last ditch "money/fan grab"...so here is hoping it does not end up like a Star Wars sequel trilogy fanservice collage of mediocity and obviousness strung together with plotholes and poor writing with overblown FX.

I'll be satified with it not being awful!

Top Bottom