• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Picard

Driver

Reaction score
Trophy Points

It's been said many times before but I think the producers of this stuff really do hate Star Trek. Only someone who hated everything about the franchise could write a line like "You're answers are not in the stars... and they never have been." (at 0.55 in the above trailer). They might as well of made the line "It's never been about exploring strange new worlds, or seeking out new life and new civilizations, about boldly going where no one has gone before... and it never has been." just to make it really clear that's what they think.

Sorry to grumble about a show which I already bailed on after the first few episodes and have zero intention of watching but this particular line irked me.
As someone that got into looking at older Star Trek material last year and looking up trivia here and there, hearing the "blank really hates Star Trek" line, is rather weird and just feels like a same person different skin version of all the cyclical hyperbolic drama with Star Wars.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone that got into looking at older Star Trek material last year and looking up trivia here and there, hearing the "blank really hates Star Trek" line, is rather weird and just feels like a same person different skin version of all the cyclical hyperbolic drama with Star Wars.

Yeah the "They hate Star Trek" is a bit hyperbolic but it's just so difficult to believe that "they like Star Trek". e.g the writers pitch "We absolutely love that old show about a vision of future science, diplomacy, exploration, limitless resources, peace and hope but our new reboot is going to be about the past, arguing, extreme violence, prejudice, war, poverty and misery. So it's just a minor twist on the old formula". Is it a minor twist though? or the opposite of what it was before, are you sure you like this property guys?

The core message of the 'Star Trek: First Contact' movie is that humanity's "answers are in the stars". It's the most action oriented, angry and violent of all the original ten ST movies (One of the main characters is even a shambolic hard drinker, which the new writers love) but it's still about that defining hopeful characteristic of the show winning out. So you can do a grittier take on ST but it needs to be about the vision of "trekking to the stars" on some level.

Quote from ST9 about going to the stars:

dah164l-2c994f02-9bfd-41dc-ba7f-ab1dfb3f8cd7.jpg

New writers "Poverty, disease, war and division. They're back baby!" ;)

The Star Wars thing is a completely different argument. From what I can see, it's fans bickering about which is the best, or worst written/directed/conceived continuation of the same basic idea. I don't hear people saying "Hey this doesn't have space battles, blasters, space cowboys and lightsabers in it. This isn't Star Wars!", they're just arguing about which is the worst written off-shoot of the original trilogy, in their opinion.

By the way, if you like the new ST stuff, I don't mind. (y)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Obviously you felt compelled to edit Season 1. Looking forward to your thoughts on Season 2 (and 3)!
I can't see myself caring that much going forward....but who knows...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a new audio drama just came out that takes place between the first two seasons.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Is that a Babylon 5 Whitestar ship in the middle of that cover???

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a new audio drama just came out that takes place between the first two seasons.
WOW! While I knew this was coming, it is still sort of unbelievable!

I think the last official Star Trek full cast, original audio adventure was a Captain Sulu... which was decades ago.
Let's hope it sells really well, then we could get other original audio adventures featuring past Trek actors in the Big Finish model. 🤞🖖 😁

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PICARD (season two premiere)
"The Star Gazer"

...spoiler free musings....

An exceptionally strong start, much tighter and more focused than the first season opener. There has been a time jump (2 years ?? ) and we find most of our heroes in new, happier, healthier roles. Even Jean-Luc seems happier in the beginning, though it soon becomes apparent he is haunted by a childhood trauma that has shaped his entire life. Some fans might call foul, as we have never seen side of Picard before, but one thing I have learned, as one becomes older, things we keep buried in our prime, often surface with a vengeance in our later years.

Anyway, a mysterious cosmic rift appears in space and soon all our heroes are conveniently assembled to investigate and then a BIG TWIST occurs and Picard finds things are no longer as he knew them.... CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, lots of nice character beats and some nice call backs to Trek Lore. The writers came up with a simple solution to explain the aging of Guinan and Q which works... though the de-aged Q CGI looked a bit off. There looks to be a bit more money on the screen this time around both in terms of practical sets and CGI.

A very ENGAGING opening salvo!

Last edited:

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the ep. Thoroughly enjoyed it and the reinstatement of post-Nemesis Starfleet. Felt like watching TNG The Movie #5 at times.
Favourite scene was Admiral Picard, back on the Stargazer, giving orders, surrounded by officers in those gorgeous uniforms!
Also Guinan and Q are still wonderful. i hope this sets the tone for the next 19 episodes #nopressure

Driver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah the "They hate Star Trek" is a bit hyperbolic but it's just so difficult to believe that "they like Star Trek". e.g the writers pitch "We absolutely love that old show about a vision of future science, diplomacy, exploration, limitless resources, peace and hope but our new reboot is going to be about the past, arguing, extreme violence, prejudice, war, poverty and misery. So it's just a minor twist on the old formula". Is it a minor twist though? or the opposite of what it was before, are you sure you like this property guys?

The core message of the 'Star Trek: First Contact' movie is that humanity's "answers are in the stars". It's the most action oriented, angry and violent of all the original ten ST movies (One of the main characters is even a shambolic hard drinker, which the new writers love) but it's still about that defining hopeful characteristic of the show winning out. So you can do a grittier take on ST but it needs to be about the vision of "trekking to the stars" on some level.

Quote from ST9 about going to the stars:

dah164l-2c994f02-9bfd-41dc-ba7f-ab1dfb3f8cd7.jpg

New writers "Poverty, disease, war and division. They're back baby!" ;)

The Star Wars thing is a completely different argument. From what I can see, it's fans bickering about which is the best, or worst written/directed/conceived continuation of the same basic idea. I don't hear people saying "Hey this doesn't have space battles, blasters, space cowboys and lightsabers in it. This isn't Star Wars!", they're just arguing about which is the worst written off-shoot of the original trilogy, in their opinion.

By the way, if you like the new ST stuff, I don't mind. (y)
I don't mind you not liking the newer stuff (only saw the Abrams movies myself), but even ignoring that TOS delved into both visions, I just find the criticism of the new writers wanting to focus more on the worse sides of humanity odd, considering that, to my knowledge, many of those involved with ST wanted to get away from Gene's vision of the franchise since the 80s at the latest, with Nicholas Meyer being pretty public about it.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I really loved the season opener, and the bridge of the new Stargazer is fantastic.
FNWI6oCUcAY07VZ-1024x316.jpeg

I really only had two quibbles with the episode:
  1. I don't really like starting in action, jumping back in time to set it up, and then catching up to the opening scene again. Not only in this episode, that trope annoys me in general.
  2. Guinan's line about "deciding" to age like a human was lame, but Q showing up looking like he did in TNG and then snapping himself to look older was much better handled. And Q's makeup/CGI was a million times better than Data's awful prosthetics last season.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d be a lot more excited if Spiner weren’t returning. No offense to the person, but Data and the Soongs already got more of their fair share of attention in S1. Here’s hoping it’s just a low-key old hologram appearance, or something.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping Wil Wheaton is back too and just not credited for some reason.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PICARD.... 6 episodes in, 4 more to go....

This season has been a head scratcher for me. I have become convinced I will not know if this season is brilliant or a hot mess until the end credits roll on the final episode... lol.

For every interesting, cool thing there seems to be an equally frustrating eye rolling moment. Is it bad writing or is there an actual plan? Again, it is a wait and see.

Pacing continues to be a very serious issue. The first four episodes in particular felt exceptionally padded. The series is definitely structured more like novel chapters than normal serial television. Which I suppose makes sense since co-creator/producer Kristen Beyer is an acclaimed Trek novelist. (Her Voyager novels are fantastic) And because I highly respect Beyer as a smart, clever writer, I continue to hold out hope this season will deliver on all of its promises.

Temporal mechanics give me a headache, but from what I can glean, this story takes place not in our near present or even our own timeline (unlike say Voyager's Future's End 2 parter). This clearly takes place where space travel is more advanced, with a planned Europa mission in 2024. And there was a throw away mention on a ban of Sentience Genetics... perhaps a result/reference to the Eugenics Wars??? So does this story take place in the Star Trek historical timeline as described in TOS? Or is it entirely a construct of Q's creation? Or something else entirely?

Again, we must wait and see....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree the pacing is awful. At the end of tonight's episode my wife and I were talking about everything that has happened so far and we agreed it could have been compressed down to two or three no problem. Maybe some stuff in the last two will mean some of the things that seemed superfluous actually matter, but at this point I'm actually hoping not so that we can get a good season-to-movie edit that comes in under 3 hours.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can say this on fanedit - this could be easily cut down to 2 hours. Not 2 and a half, not 2x2. Just two. (depending on the ending) we've had at least 3 episodes of filler. Also I hate to admit but I agree with this article. https://fanfilmfactor.com/2022/03/2...he-same-general-plot-picard-editorial-review/ It's a pity because 201 was a step towards Classic TNG, and of course it's fab having Q and Guinan once more.

I'm gonna admit that even since Terry Matalas (EP/showrunner) started teasing the Starfleet interiors on twitter that has had me more interested in s3 than s2 (which is possibly a story that can be told in half the time?!) and the cast announcement overshadowed e206 for me.

Fro me Star Trek is a crew of Starfleet officers on a Federation ship, in uniform. I was skeptical about spending most of the season in 21st Century LA. I've been obsessed with Star Trek: Picard however since Day 1 and I thank Season 1 for challenging my perceptions and not doing the 'bleeding obvious same-old, same-old'

I'm a TNG boy, I have wanted another go at a new finale since Nemesis, and now it's finally happening.

Top Bottom