• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Picard

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is no question that S2 is an improvement on S1. YET, the writers are missing the point and ethos of Star Trek, PERIOD!

OKAY, they are making social comment....yippy...but it is ham-fisted and NOT plot related.

Dropping in references to global warming, illegal immigrants, hard handed ICE officers or health care provision is not how TREK did this . These references are lazy land mines dropped in randomly and have no bearing on the plot or situation being resolved.

When TNG, TOS, VOYAGER and DS9 dragged in 20th century issues in their TREK allegory they were almost always central to either the plot. the outcome of the drivers of the aliens or civilisations they had encountered. In PICARD, these references are lazily introduced "social bombs" with no bearing on anything other than being either obstacles to the plot, the characters or the narrative and really just scream "ooo look how socially conscious we writers are". MEH!

The whole thing feels as if writers have dipped into TREK cannon, dropped in ingredients, and fashioned a plot round that recipe. I just don't feel any vision.

YES, it's better than S1...but I remain UNINSPIRED and UNMOVED (just less annoyed)...and those STRANGE NEW WORLD teasers are beginning to fill me with dread that allegory and story telling may be subsumed by an avalanche of excessive action.

WHERE IS THE HUMAN CONDITION BEING ANALYSED?

I shall not be looking to fix this smorgasbord....coz I no longer care...
That is VERY sad indeed.

(ROLL ON the 4K STTMP DIRECTORS EDITION)

Last edited:

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is no question that S2 is an improvement on S1. YET, the writers are missing the point and ethos of Star Trek, PERIOD!

OKAY, they are making social comment....yippy...but it is ham-fisted and NOT plot related.

Dropping in references to global warming, illegal immigrants, hard handed ICE officers or health care provision is not how TREK did this . These references are lazy land mines dropped in randomly and have no bearing on the plot or situation being resolved.

When TNG, TOS, VOYAGER and DS9 dragged in 20th century issues in their TREK allegory they were almost always central to either the plot. the outcome of the drivers of the aliens or civilisations they had encountered. In PICARD, these references are lazily introduced "social bombs" with no bearing on anything other than being either obstacles to the plot, the characters or the narrative and really just scream "ooo look how socially conscious we writers are". MEH!

The whole thing feels as if writers have dipped into TREK cannon, dropped in ingredients, and fashioned a plot round that recipe. I just don't feel any vision.

YES, it's better than S1...but I remain UNINSPIRED and UNMOVED (just less annoyed)...and those STRANGE NEW WORLD teasers are beginning to fill me with dread that allegory and story telling may be subsumed by an avalanche of excessive action.

WHERE IS THE HUMAN CONDITION BEING ANALYSED?

I shall not be looking to fix this smorgasbord....coz I no longer care...
That is VERY sad indeed.

(ROLL ON the 4K STTMP DIRECTORS EDITION)
Are you considering a cutdown edit again or are you waiting for the endgame first?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way season 2 is panning out, I think there is a single 2hr 15 min movie hiding in there, or 3 x 50 mins....but my heart just is not in it as far as the source material is concerned...e.g. MOSTERS can nearly be completely excised...as can 70% of the preceding episode...(don't get me started)... :)

Last edited:

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way season 2 is panning out, I think there is a single 2hr 15 min moivie hiding in there, or 3 x 50 mins....but my heart just is not in it as far as the source material is concerned...e.g. MOSTERS can nearly be completely excised...as can 70% of the preceding episode...(don't get me started)... :)
might give it a go when the time comes but it wont be in HD, not technically advanced. Don't want to lose ep1 though...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
might give it a go when the time comes but it wont be in HD, not technically advanced. Don't want to lose ep1 though...
There are about 10 mins that can go from ep 1 and some tightening up IMHO....(can't help myself....)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode Eight.... I love all Star Trek but this show is testing my endurance. Episodes 6 and 7 were... dare I even say it... AWFUL.
Some good ideas, but very poorly executed. Some very slight forward plot movement with today's episode, but mostly it was just people sitting or standing around repeating things we already know. I want to believe there is a plan that I am not seeing, but so far, it honestly feels like the writers are not even watching the previous episode before writing the next one. Two episodes to go. They better be spectacular... LOL.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode Eight.... I love all Star Trek but this show is testing my endurance. Episodes 6 and 7 were... dare I even say it... AWFUL.
Some good ideas, but very poorly executed. Some very slight forward plot movement with today's episode, but mostly it was just people sitting or standing around repeating things we already know. I want to believe there is a plan that I am not seeing, but so far, it honestly feels like the writers are not even watching the previous episode before writing the next one. Two episodes to go. They better be spectacular... LOL.
...and with two to go...this risks feeling rushed and contrived....

So ...what did we learn about the human condition OR...did we find the plot compelling, exciting and brimming with intrigue....?

EDIT
N O P E ! (WELL...the first two eps were pretty good mind you)
EDIT

I saw THE BATMAN in a cinema last night...I know it is not to everyones liking but I was rivited, challenged, compelled and drawn right in...not a wasted word, nor any padding bar the slow pace, which was marvelously executed IMO... I'm surprised they let Reeve have a 3hr cut...

PICARD...MEH!

Last edited:

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Borgy fun...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RAFFI: "Let's use the Corbomite Manoeuvre Admiral"
SEVEN: "Have you been smoking Frisco weed Raffi"?
RIOS: "Mierda, I read we can use the slingshot effect"
PICARD: "We need to use Queen Jurati's Interface to uplink to the cosmic Fungal network and have Michael Burnham overact impressively to convince Q we are worthy"
Q: Have any of you ACTUALLY watched any episode of TNG.#?....Where is Thanos when you need him"?

CUE SEASON 3 PICARD-AVENGERS CROSSOVER

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode nine "Hide & Seek"...

...so that happened.

I am trying so hard to remain optimistic and positive, but this penultimate episode did little to encourage me.

Without going into spoilers, we essentially repeat the previous episode with Picard's childhood flashback, except finally get the end reveal, which honestly lacked any real punch since it was so poorly drawn out and seemed obvious by this point.
We also get a resolution to the Borg Queen storyline..... uh... what happened to preventing temporal butterflies? This seems to be a full on Mothra sized timeline change? Isn't that what they are supposed to prevent?

One episode to go. Maybe it will all make sense. Maybe they will go the Dallas route, and it is all a bad dream. You might think I am joking, but based on what has preceded, I wouldn't put anything past the writers at this point.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode nine "Hide & Seek"...

...so that happened.

I am trying so hard to remain optimistic and positive, but this penultimate episode did little to encourage me.

Without going into spoilers, we essentially repeat the previous episode with Picard's childhood flashback, except finally get the end reveal, which honestly lacked any real punch since it was so poorly drawn out and seemed obvious by this point.
We also get a resolution to the Borg Queen storyline..... uh... what happened to preventing temporal butterflies? This seems to be a full on Mothra sized timeline change? Isn't that what they are supposed to prevent?

One episode to go. Maybe it will all make sense. Maybe they will go the Dallas route, and it is all a bad dream. You might think I am joking, but based on what has preceded, I wouldn't put anything past the writers at this point.
...cue the Slingshot effect calibrated by some technobabble to get them back...
OR
no solution and it just sets up S03 which was shot back to back....

One thing appears certain...it won't be an elegant ending and (oops two things), it will be rushed and (three things) contrived.
I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong,

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems a lot of shows that went into production during the pandemic has suffered greatly. Picard, Discovery, and non-ST titles like Russian Dolls, Upload, etc. just have not been very good. Really disappointing to say the least.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems a lot of shows that went into production during the pandemic has suffered greatly. Picard, Discovery, and non-ST titles like Russian Dolls, Upload, etc. just have not been very good. Really disappointing to say the least.
I have to disagree...as in not the fault of the pandemic...OZARK was shot during the pandemic, and so were many other shows that are airing now...
Bad writing, people not doing their homework and a lack of a cohesive visionary driving force are the issues with this and many shows....

You can't create the Sistine Chapel by Committee.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I just caught up on the last 15min of Ep 8… and here we go.
Q has no powers but can give “Soji” her cure?!!!?@&!?&@

Queen Jurati does not kill Raffi coz Borg don’t exhibit mercy…”it’s a Jurati quality”?!&@??@

It’s a “human” quality you incompetent hacks…. Plus she murdered her ex!!!!

Nothing to do with the Pandemic!

Just lazy everything ….
I dread Ep 9….

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We know what an alien society built around emulating Star Trek would look like:

EecUfZtWAA8aEMq.jpg

But what would an alien society look like that thought Picard was a historical document?

FYI, if you type...

Code:
ST:Picard

It comes out like this... ST:picard

Has @MCP watched the show?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Actually, for me, DISCOVERY was a very entertaining fourth season. Yes, it had some pacing issues, but nothing to the degree that PICARD season two suffers from.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, for me, DISCOVERY was a very entertaining fourth season. Yes, it had some pacing issues, but nothing to the degree that PICARD season two suffers from.
Agreed, and I should have been more clear. Discovery should have been about three episodes shorter.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Without knowing what happens in the season finale, I still feel pretty confident that Season 2 can be cut down to a single movie. Obviously without any approved edits on IFDb you should take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt, but I think you could cut the entire Picard's mom backstory, all of Guinan, the FBI arrest, and most of Kore's story. A lot of partial cuts like the heavy-handed ICE commentary, maybe Rios' girlfriend (or at least anything with the kid), and Jurati singing. I haven't kept a running clock, but I would bet there's about 2 hours of actual plot so far this season.

I'm still not sure this would make the story better, but at least it would be shorter.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Without knowing what happens in the season finale, I still feel pretty confident that Season 2 can be cut down to a single movie. Obviously without any approved edits on IFDb you should take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt, but I think you could cut the entire Picard's mom backstory, all of Guinan, the FBI arrest, and most of Kore's story. A lot of partial cuts like the heavy-handed ICE commentary, maybe Rios' girlfriend (or at least anything with the kid), and Jurati singing. I haven't kept a running clock, but I would bet there's about 2 hours of actual plot so far this season.

I'm still not sure this would make the story better, but at least it would be shorter.
I can't wait for the shiny disc releases so it can be done! :p

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Top Bottom