• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR TREK II: Wrath of Khan Redux - Fan VFX Replacement Showcase - Director’s Cut

UPDATE

This continues to grow…now coz I’m extended in a few portions and thus adding more shots…the sound rebuilding though is torture.

I will post a clip of an extension which I completed as a proof of concept, and a bit of fun…the shot broke ship positioning continuity. However, that shot has been now inserted elsewhere….

Clip of rejected, but completed version of that shot, to follow.

Despite locking this, I have added a further two shots. ONe is an FX replacement and the other is a further scene extenstion of 7secs requireing a full audio and music rebuild to insert an additional VFX shot.

This is now in final QC and will be submitted in 7 days time.

The wait is almost over folks!

UPDATE:

Well folks, despite locking this edit a couple of weeks back, I went and found a bunch more new vfx shots.

These are all one-offs, again by very talented people who just love trek

In total, 9 new vfx shots have been sourced.

3 of these will replace a handful of the remaining original vfx.

1 shot will be an addition overlay to an existing sequence, showing the Enterprise’s thrusters firing.

The other 5 shots drop into the Mutara nebula battle. 1 will be a further additional (not replacing) vfx of the Enterprise near the battle’s end.

The remaining 4 shots will be a scene extension to the battle’s climax, with a full audio rebuild required since the source material was completely silent. This required over 50 audio elements and a bespoke scoring extension mix for just 11 secs of new material in order to seamlessly blend in… 8 hours work!

I think it’s worth it.

Apart from these additions, overall adding another 34 sec to the edit, the QC fixes have all been made as have several hundred audio tweaks to levels of newly added sound FX or tweaks to remixed or resequenced existing audio.

Additional changes have been made to opening and closing credits to reflect the artists whose work this edit compiles.

I’d ask everyone to kindly watch the full closing credit roll so that the many people whose work has been used, have your attention for a few precious seconds… in fact, make a note of who they are. Check out their channels. It may just inspire you to make an edit.

I'd ask everyone to kindly watch the full closing credit roll so that the many people whose work has been used, have your attention for a few precious seconds… in fact, make a note of who they are. Check out their channels. It may just inspire you to make an edit.
So this is completed then?

UPDATE.

QC completed and so has final render. The change list runs 5 pages of A4/Letter!

Change highlights.

Khan contained about 110 VFX shots. It now contains 158 vfx shots, of which 11 are original shots. Half of those old original vfx come from the final Genesis device detonation.

There are 10 new extensions or establishing shots. One extension contains 6 new vfx and 49 audio elements in 9 secs of material in order to deliver the inserted material ( which had no audio in the original).

15 new scoring enhancements, half using music by James Horner not from ST II.

A significant re-resequencing of the Mutara Nebula battle for pacing and facilitating of new VFX material.

New color grade throughout, including VFX.

All new VFX had a 35mm grain overlay applied.

More than half were in the wrong aspect ratio and/or frame rate. All corrected now.

Some compromises remain, but are very few, including retaining full length NEW VFX where a frame or two was missing rather than truncate or try to finesse audio which would be dissonant.

The biggest challenge using the new vfx was maintaining a visually consistent continuity, which hopefully has been achieved.

Once again, an astonishingly detailed QQ from @ParanoidAndroid. We have lost count how many versions we got through…but we did and we are DONE!

Submission this weekend.

UPDATE:
  • Quality control completed
  • Rendered
  • Submitted

Final designation v 6.04.
Uber size and hi bit rate mp4 files will be available.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to @ParanoidAndroid who has over the past two months diligently flagged many micro issues in the pursuit of perfection. His suggestions, eye for detail and apparently bottomless patience has frankly been astonishing!

Thanks bro.

Our work is done.

Next year
STAR TREK - THE MOTION PICTURE
  • Ultimate Edition
  • VFX Replacement Edition
and
  • The Conformed Theatrical Cut

Happy holidays
W

Last edited:
I'm pleased to note that the UBER size files (M2TS, BD ready 24.5GB) and hi bit rate MP4 (6.5GB) are available.

There will also be a small mobile device file, of 2 GB made available.

M2TS, BD ready 24.5GB

Awww, damn... Was hoping for one that I won't need to re-encode myself...
(BD-50 are expensive and my 11 years old BD Drive can't burn them properly anyway).

The M2TS is rendered at a higher bit rate than the BD rip...it doesnt come bigger...

odd thing though...without changing the settings, it renders a file sometimes as small as 23.5 GB....

Happy to put it through the pipes again...let me know...or message me...

I edit from the source M2TS files rather than make any changes...my system has no issue with them so I rarely put the material into a different container for editing. more steps yield more glitches...

M2TS is perfectly fine, I prefer it over any other container.
It's just that only 23GB can fit on BD-25 discs, so I need to re-encode it for smaller size..

btw, I am seriously considering doing my "Goldsmithed audio" for Khan to fit your edit instead the official Dir Cut. I just need to watch it first to decide.
If I won't get your blessing for that, then the track will remain in my private archive (or I will just do it for official release).

Last edited:
(M2TS, BD ready 24.5GB)

It seems the file is 23.1 GB after all so it may fit.

Last edited:
GENERAL POST for newcomers.

Please make sure that when you request this edit, or any other edit I have made, to confirm upfront the format that you own if the official release.

I do ask this of all new members and it will save time for us all by reducing the back and forth messaging.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
W

I have rebranded this thread and the Edit Title and re-rendered the edit to reflect the changes, to ensure clarity of purpose when it is viewed...as noted in the sixth post in this thread "i thought it would be fun" ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom