• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR TREK II: Wrath of Khan Redux - Fan VFX Replacement Showcase - Director’s Cut

Wow, I’d love to see this, but I’ll be taking a break from the forums come November 9th. I’m doing a Mormon mission in the Philippines for a little while, not sure how long. Been having doubts. Long story short, I may be back in about 4-6 months. I’ll check this out then!

Newb question: In order for one to see this, would we need to own all of the various sources (11?) or just The Wrath of Khan?

Any video examples of the changes?
I think a big reveal on viewing is preferable...HOWEVER, the below is the kind of thing to expect but these are NOT shots I've used for a variety of reasons which I will go in to once I submit the edit.

I will say however that spacedock DOES feature prominently in the edit.

I trust that helps set the mood...

I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!
"CRY HAVOC!"

yeah I know that's ST6 by way of Shakespear

ONe other thing this edit has a new color grade throughout.

The Directors Cut was a little to bright an saturated for my taste yet the Theatrical Cut, was a tad muted and dark. This edit sits about halfway between the two.

Director Cut was too bright and saturated where exactly? Because my Blu-ray (remastered one) seems to have both included by seamless branching which means they're the same transfer.

And from what I know, the "bright and saturated one" was the first blu-ray that didn't included DC at all, in the comparison below, that's the UK Blu-ray:

Director Cut was too bright and saturated where exactly? Because my Blu-ray (remastered one) seems to have both included by seamless branching which means they're the same transfer.

And from what I know, the "bright and saturated one" was the first blu-ray that didn't included DC at all, in the comparison below, that's the UK Blu-ray:

My Khan DC source

I also have the 2009 set which only restored Khan as a new transfer for the TC

But TC in 2009 doesn't look "desaturated", at least according to available comparisons. But in new Blu-ray (which I just bought), both versions are.
Frankly, I prefer that more saturated look for this movie, but that's something that I can fix myself.

Anyway, just started watching original TV show for a first time on Netflix (and it seems it has replaced effect shots too) and looking forward to check out your version. I am also still tempted by the idea of adding some Goldsmith themes to original crew movies that were scored by other composers.

One question: Will there be non-cropped, proper 1080p release with black bars in place?

But TC in 2009 doesn't look "desaturated", at least according to available comparisons. But in new Blu-ray (which I just bought), both versions are.
Frankly, I prefer that more saturated look for this movie, but that's something that I can fix myself.

Anyway, just started watching original TV show for a first time on Netflix (and it seems it has replaced effect shots too) and looking forward to check out your version. I am also still tempted by the idea of adding some Goldsmith themes to original crew movies that were scored by other composers.

One question: Will there be non-cropped, proper 1080p release with black bars in place?
All my edits are non cropped...to hell with extra GBs I say...full 1080p.
The grade will still be more saturated than the TC for sure...just a slight dialing back..from the DC

"...and let slip the dogs of war"

Last edited:
I think a big reveal on viewing is preferable...HOWEVER, the below is the kind of thing to expect but these are NOT shots I've used for a variety of reasons which I will go in to once I submit the edit.

I will say however that spacedock DOES feature prominently in the edit.

I trust that helps set the mood...

Is there something off about the frame rate on the vfx shots in that video? Seems way too smooth, almost like the anti-jittering effect on tv's. Is a similar smoothing of movement in the shots of the edit? I'd like to watch your edit, but that level of smoothness would be offsetting.

Is there something off about the frame rate on the vfx shots in that video? Seems way too smooth,
The frame rate on most if the new vfx is 23.976fps. A few are 24fps.
The shots in that link are not used in this edit, that being one of the reasons… there are other issues with those shots too.

The frame rate on most if the new vfx is 23.976fps. A few are 24fps.
The shots in that link are not used in this edit, that being one of the reasons… there are other issues with those shots too.
Why not just show a few clips of your work?

Back
Top Bottom