• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Spider-Man 4 - Will it suck?

Galen_Marek_True_Jedi said:
And at least this film will finally explain what happened to Parker's parents. The other three never even touched that side.
In all fairness though, neither did decades worth of comics. It's something barely touched on in Spidey's entire history.

Uncanny Antman said:
In all fairness though, neither did decades worth of comics. It's something barely touched on in Spidey's entire history.

as a casual spidey viewer - do we really need to?
spidey is cool because he is an everyday character in everyday situations that happens to become a superhero, that's the awesome part, that's why raimi's movies resonated so well with the audience, peter's parents sounds just like another of those shield-like backstories that make everything feel convoluted... i mean is there any superhero whose parents/relatives weren't somehow involved in everything?

Sunarep said:
as a casual spidey viewer - do we really need to?
In my opinion? Nope. There's a reason they don't get mentioned often...no one cares. :)

i mean is there any superhero whose parents/relatives weren't somehow involved in everything?
You don't really want a list do you? ;)

Galen_Marek_True_Jedi said:
I kind of liked the trailer. The Mirror's Edge first person rip-off looks idiotic, but that's nothing we can't fix ;)
Still, the new Parker looks far better than Maguire. This guy I can actually buy. Maguire wasn't fit for it in my opinion.

^ This. It looks better to me than any of the Raimi/Tobey movies.

I thought Maguire worked just fine, and I'm not buying that anyone had a bad feeling about SpiderMan 3 before it came out. The previous 2 were winners, and the trailer had the same effect as The Phantom Menace trailer, showing us exactly what we wanted to see while hiding the true crap that it actually was.

I will give this as much of a chance as any new movie, but I don't have high hopes. Mopey Twilight Spiderman does nothing for me, and if I have to sit through yet another orgin story, improved or not I will lose my mind.

reave said:
and if I have to sit through yet another orgin story, improved or not I will lose my mind.

So must I understand you won't be there for Transformers 4: The Beginning, then? ;-)

reave said:
if I have to sit through yet another orgin story, improved or not I will lose my mind.
Meh, I only care if it's a good movie or not.

How do you feel about romcoms? Aren't 90% of those, even the good ones (probably even disproportionately so), "origin stories" as far as the central relationships are concerned? ;-)

reave said:
I thought Maguire worked just fine, and I'm not buying that anyone had a bad feeling about SpiderMan 3 before it came out. The previous 2 were winners, and the trailer had the same effect as The Phantom Menace trailer, showing us exactly what we wanted to see while hiding the true crap that it actually was.

I will give this as much of a chance as any new movie, but I don't have high hopes. Mopey Twilight Spiderman does nothing for me, and if I have to sit through yet another orgin story, improved or not I will lose my mind.

Then I guess you will not be buying how I felt as a Spider-man comic book reader, as I hated Tobey and I hated the costume for the Green Goblin in the first movie.

The second movie had a great plot with a great villain, too bad Tobey and Kirsten both do not fit the part.

revel911 said:
Then I guess you will not be buying how I felt as a Spider-man comic book reade

Not really sure how you can pull out the comic book card on this one. I have read all the original spiderman comics and I thought Sam Rami did a great job being pretty true to that origins story and the characters. Certainly this argument breaks down in comparing these two movies, considering that the new movie will be far less comics based.

geminigod said:
Not really sure how you can pull out the comic book card on this one. I have read all the original spiderman comics and I thought Sam Rami did a great job being pretty true to that origins story and the characters. Certainly this argument breaks down in comparing these two movies, considering that the new movie will be far less comics based.

I guess it depends on what series you read. They are def. going for Ultimate Spider-man here.

I think Raimi had the right look (minus the Green Goblin Outfit, which a tattered cloak over it all would have helped) and in the first two the right stories, my problem was with the casting. Tobey just makes a horrible Peter Parker.

My understanding is Marvel has rebooted many of the comics due to some funky change to the universe and now the characters have different origins stories and timelines? Not sure how this correlates with your ultimate spider-man reference. It all sounds a little bit suspiciously lame to me, but I haven't followed the comics for a number of years now. I am not fond of the notion of erasing 60 years of good stories in an attempt to do something original. More likely they will just do something lamer like make Peter Parker's parents secret agents.

geminigod said:
My understanding is Marvel has rebooted many of the comics due to some funky change to the universe and now the characters have different origins stories and timelines? Not sure how this correlates with your ultimate spider-man reference. It all sounds a little bit suspiciously lame to me, but I haven't followed the comics for a number of years now. I am not fond of the notion of erasing 60 years of good stories in an attempt to do something original. More likely they will just do something lamer like make Peter Parker's parents secret agents.

Just want to clarify here, Marvel never did such a reboot (DC is doing it soon tho). What they did was launch an "alternate reality" line of comics with the word "Ultimate" slapped in front of their most popular titles starting with number 1s, in order to make things more accessible for new readers; of course it happened around a decade ago and now those titles new carry quite the baggage so the accessibility thing is a chicken and egg situation.

All of the films produced directly by Marvel are heavily influenced by the Ultimate line, while the ones produced by other Fox/Sony usually tend to keep more in line with the common continuity.

I've never really followed Spiderman on the comics, but I did quite enjoy the first two Raimi movies and generally dislike reboots so my hopes are not too high either.

Oh and about Peter's parents turning out to being operatives, no idea when or in which comic that happened, but I have to agree: lame!

Ironically, hasn't marvel just killed off the 'Ultimate' spider-man?

Thanks for that clarification Havok. I knew there was something with that but was confused myself.

Omaru1982 said:
Ironically, hasn't marvel just killed off the 'Ultimate' spider-man?

They actually brought it back as it was one of Marvel's biggest sellers

revel911 said:
They actually brought it back as it was one of Marvel's biggest sellers

Yeah but like a month ago or so, Peter Parker died in the Ultimate Spiderman comic.

Let's see how long that lasts....

79634_gal.jpg

Not sold on anything in this movie... this is going to have a hard time against avengers and dark knight rises

How about you reserve judgment until the movie is actually out?

na i tried it with green lantern and cars and it was not worth it :D
also with current marketing we can always count on the fact that (minus trailers for chris nolan movies) they are showing us the best things in the trailer and if the trailer is lackluster then boy prepare for the things taht are really bad (once again see green lantern)

Sunarep said:
na i tried it with green lantern and cars and it was not worth it :D
also with current marketing we can always count on the fact that (minus trailers for chris nolan movies) they are showing us the best things in the trailer and if the trailer is lackluster then boy prepare for the things taht are really bad (once again see green lantern)

So, the best part of the Dark Knight will be Gordon talking in the hospital?

I think a trailer this far away is just showing us filming that is finished, so I disagree. Now, if this was a trailer, a month before the film, I would probably agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom