• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spider-Man 4 - Will it suck?

Actually, I didn't even like Green Goblin in the comics as I always thought Hobgoblin looked way cooler and was more of a bad ass.

Wow, hard to believe it's been a year since the last comments on this thread - and there's still no 'Net consensus on whether or not it'll suck! :)

Anyway, I'm sure you've all seen it, but here's the suit...

garfieldspiderman%281%29-thumb-550x755.jpg

Notice how artfully the shot minimizes Garfield's neck, which is amongst the longest known to man. Seriously - if that shot were 3D, his head would be in a different time zone from his tookus.

Honestly, I thought the Raimi suit was perfect, but what the heck, I'll reserve judgment on this 'til I see the movie.

I doubt the new movie will be good. I didn't like they choose to reboot it.

I was never a big fan of the recent Spidey flicks but even I think it's too soon for a reboot. Surely the Tobey Maguire/Sam Raimi versions are too fresh in people's memory for them to accept an all new version?

Whether it's any good or not, who knows. I remember people slagging off Heath Ledger being the Joker and people scoffing Daniel Craig as James Bond and they both did excellent jobs.

I think we know my thoughts and feelings on the third spider-man film.

I don't like the costume design though, it's a bit too flashly for my tastes, I don't read the comics but is it based on anything Parker has wore in the comics?

Anyway it has the saving grace of Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, she can do the geeky-but-hot thing very well, if this turns out to be nothing but Spectacular Spider-man (which was also visually as unappealing as spidey's attire above) in a live action film, I'll be a happy camper.

FatherMerrin said:
I was never a big fan of the recent Spidey flicks but even I think it's too soon for a reboot. Surely the Tobey Maguire/Sam Raimi versions are too fresh in people's memory for them to accept an all new version?

On the nose there FM. It is FAR too soon to be rebooting Spiderman. This really does show how pathetic/desperate Hollywood is getting.

FatherMerrin said:
Whether it's any good or not, who knows. I remember people slagging off Heath Ledger being the Joker and people scoffing Daniel Craig as James Bond and they both did excellent jobs.

I never thought much of Tobey Maguire. Can't see Garfield being any worse. Although I did mucho enjoy Dunst.

I don't like the costume design though, it's a bit too flashly for my tastes, I don't read the comics but is it based on anything Parker has wore in the comics?

Flash? The suit looks totally hand-made, totally unlike the slick suit worn in the last 3 films. There's an element of realism in this suit that looks like it could have been made by some geek.

I won't hate on the film until I've seen it, we could be in for a new ride - something grittier/more realistic. Or it could be shit. :p

FatherMerrin said:
If by "too soon" you mean you doubt it'll make money... I'd bet that it will.

Nah I wasn't thinking about the money aspect, more the emotional one. I think your average person who doesn't follow these sorts of things will find it quite weird to see a new actor playing Spiderman so soon after the last film. I mean the Batman franchise was dead before Nolan came along so people were happy to accept a new look at the character and I think people were happy for a reboot of Superman after so many years. But Spiderman 3 was barely 4 years ago.

But you're right, if it's handle and recieved well..... Kerching!!!

Is it really that different than recasting Bonds, or Anakins, or trading football players from one team to another? Dallas retconned a whole season out of existence back in the '80s. If people want to say that they consider the reboot to be premature, fine; but I frankly think it a bit condescending to suggest that once the lights dim and Garfield appears on screen, the average moviegoer will get dazed and confused. This is hardly rocket science. ;)

I was thinking more in terms of people's initial reactions to the trailers and stuff like that. Most people don't follow the ins and outs of movies, they just go about their daily lives, work, friends etc. So I think when you're average person sees the new Spiderman trailer without Toby Miguire they might think that's a bit odd as he'll still be fresh in their memory. Obviously once the trailers, the interviews and the hype have done their job by the time the moviegoer is in the cinema they will be aware of the changes and probably (if the studios PR have done a good job) more than happy to accept them.

I'm not sure I see the connection with Anakin as he was shown at different ages so different actors were needed. The James Bond comparison is interesting though. Comic book movies have been around since the 70's, but I wouldn't say they've been subject to the same kind of actor turnover like Bond. With Bond you have a new one every 2 years or so, so inevitably actors get older and need replacing. But I don't think it's been until the 90's that comic book movies as a whole settled down as a franchise. So where as before they might have done a few movies and then left it for a while now the high demand is there maybe an actor turnover similar to Bond will become the norm.

I'll be interesting to see how this film works out.

For most people, the re-casting won't even matter. They'll just go along to 'that new Spider-Man film' eat their popcorn, chat during the movie, walk out and talk about how cool that bit with the explosion was.

Kilmer took over only three years after Keaton. Clooney only two after that. This Spidey may be a reboot (Ugh, loathesome word!) rather than sequel, but for most people it won't matter a jot.

Gaith said:
Dallas retconned a whole season out of existence back in the '80s.
And it went from being a once-good soap opera to being a laughing stock as a result. Just sayin'. :)

Uncanny Antman said:
For most people, the re-casting won't even matter. They'll just go along to 'that new Spider-Man film' eat their popcorn, chat during the movie, walk out and talk about how cool that bit with the explosion was.

lol.

Uncanny Antman said:
Kilmer took over only three years after Keaton. Clooney only two after that. This Spidey may be a reboot (Ugh, loathesome word!) rather than sequel, but for most people it won't matter a jot.

That's thing. It was after Burton & Kilmer left that I felt the Batman films went down the drain. They just kept on flogging a dead horse. That's what I mean about it being interesting seeing how this film goes. If it sucks things could get a lot worse before they get better, like the Batman films.

I am really hopeful for this new Spidey. I absolutely hated these recent Spiderman flicks, as pieces of cinema they were adequate, but as Spiderman stories I felt they were severely lacking. Judging from what I've read, this film is shaping up to be pretty good, whilst I agree that for most people, the Raimi trilogy will still be fresh in the memories, this is an opportunity to finally do Spidey some big screen justice.

The only way for comic book movies to survive without being dead for a few years then returning is if they make a James Bond type of story.
Meaning after a few films it is basically a "reboot" but not in terms of getting a new origin story but instead new actors and new situations
You expect the audience to know the concept of James Bond even if now it is Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig (although that was partially an origin story)

If you expect: we're doing spidey, people know his origin story, now let's cast new actors hire a writer to write a new story

then it could really work over a few years. Adhering to continuity will make a series last max. 4 movies

zeppelinrox said:
I also read somewhere that Marvel will start moving away from dark and gritty superhero movies

Moving away from dark and gritty superhero movies? The only Marvel movies that I can think of that are dark and/or gritty are Daredevil and The Punisher movies. If anything we need more dark and gritty superhero movies.

BTW I know this post is almost a year old but I didn't start reading this thread until today when I saw the new Spidey suit on another forum. I don't like the new suit, there's just something about it that doesn't look right to me. Never heard of the actor playing Peter Parker/Spider-Man though so that might not be a problem for me, other than having somebody else in the role. Happy to hear that Green Goblin is out because I never liked him in the movies and I wish they hadn't included him in the sequels. And wth does somebody have to do to get Electro as the, or one of the, villain(s) in a Spider-Man movie? Ever since I first heard that they were making the first Spider-Man movie I was hoping that they'd get Electro in there but no we get the Green Goblin. Then Spider-Man 2 comes along and my hopes are dashed again as we get Dr. Octopus and the Green Goblin again. Don't get me wrong I love Dr. Octopus but Electro's always been my favorite Spidey villain. Then Spider-Man 3 came along and with so many villains you'd think that one of them could be Electro but I guess nobody loves Electro. And now it looks like I'm shit out of luck again. :(

they would have to do something with Electro's ridiculous suit he wears in the comics. maybe the reason not many people like him is because he looks like such a dweeb in his costume.

Why cast an actor that will cost you millions in digitaly making his neck shorter?

Andrew%20Garfield.jpg

that kind of creeps me out.

Back
Top Bottom