• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Fan Edit Of The Year (FEOTY) 2021: and the WINNERS are...! here Congratulations!

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

JCDragonBall

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're creating a lot of threads. Try to check there aren't already existing relevant threads you can add to before creating a new one - there's definitely a few covering this topic already, and we even have one dedicated to "random thoughts".

Edit: in fact, threads merged.
Apologies! Thank you :)

Try Spleeter, linked above.
I will try this out! Thank you!

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is a new plug-in from Waves named Clarity VX. I watched a review and then tried it by myself, and I have to say that it is a great tool for removing background music, FXs and isolating the voices or dialogues. I do recommend it.

Check it out:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm getting pretty excellent results on isolating vocals/dialogue using https://mvsep.com/ and the MDX 2 setting (see the chart on the page for quality scores to identify what settings are recommended). It does have a 10 minute track length limitation, but it's easy enough to break a surround file up into 10min portions using audacity.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have found this site useful for just separating dialog:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have found this site useful for just separating dialog:

Wow just did a test on an 8-second clip of movie audio with music and FX all over it and it instantly came back with pretty clean, and minimally distorted vocals. The removed sound FX and music is separated onto other tracks, that while not clean of vocals, could certainly be useful to adding back sound FX if mixed correctly.

I'll be investigating this some more. Are their upload limits, or limits on length of audio tracks, which you've encountered?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow just did a test on an 8-second clip of movie audio with music and FX all over it and it instantly came back with pretty clean, and minimally distorted vocals. The removed sound FX and music is separated onto other tracks, that while not clean of vocals, could certainly be useful to adding back sound FX if mixed correctly.

I'll be investigating this some more. Are their upload limits, or limits on length of audio tracks, which you've encountered?
I haven't come across anything limiting me as of yet, but the scenes I've used are short. About a minute and a half was the longest one. I see where they say something about credits remaining but every time I go back to the site I always have the same 2 credits. I don't know if that is the site or my browser being one of the "safe browsers"? I have even uploaded movie clips instead of sound files and it worked.

GelflingHand

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The FAQ says max size 100Mb. It's based on Spleeter, which I didn't have much luck with because I was trying to separate singing from dialogue, not just music. If they start enforcing the two song limit, there are other Spleeter-based web services, or you can install Spleeter on your own computer (it can be a little tricky to get working, but not too bad). I'd be curious whether you get noticeably different results from the various Spleeter web services.

If you just want the vocals, not preserving sound FX and music, I've had some good results with https://audo.ai/noise-removal

Top Bottom