• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

JCDragonBall

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're creating a lot of threads. Try to check there aren't already existing relevant threads you can add to before creating a new one - there's definitely a few covering this topic already, and we even have one dedicated to "random thoughts".

Edit: in fact, threads merged.
Apologies! Thank you :)

Try Spleeter, linked above.
I will try this out! Thank you!

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is a new plug-in from Waves named Clarity VX. I watched a review and then tried it by myself, and I have to say that it is a great tool for removing background music, FXs and isolating the voices or dialogues. I do recommend it.

Check it out:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm getting pretty excellent results on isolating vocals/dialogue using https://mvsep.com/ and the MDX 2 setting (see the chart on the page for quality scores to identify what settings are recommended). It does have a 10 minute track length limitation, but it's easy enough to break a surround file up into 10min portions using audacity.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have found this site useful for just separating dialog:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have found this site useful for just separating dialog:

Wow just did a test on an 8-second clip of movie audio with music and FX all over it and it instantly came back with pretty clean, and minimally distorted vocals. The removed sound FX and music is separated onto other tracks, that while not clean of vocals, could certainly be useful to adding back sound FX if mixed correctly.

I'll be investigating this some more. Are their upload limits, or limits on length of audio tracks, which you've encountered?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow just did a test on an 8-second clip of movie audio with music and FX all over it and it instantly came back with pretty clean, and minimally distorted vocals. The removed sound FX and music is separated onto other tracks, that while not clean of vocals, could certainly be useful to adding back sound FX if mixed correctly.

I'll be investigating this some more. Are their upload limits, or limits on length of audio tracks, which you've encountered?
I haven't come across anything limiting me as of yet, but the scenes I've used are short. About a minute and a half was the longest one. I see where they say something about credits remaining but every time I go back to the site I always have the same 2 credits. I don't know if that is the site or my browser being one of the "safe browsers"? I have even uploaded movie clips instead of sound files and it worked.

GelflingHand

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The FAQ says max size 100Mb. It's based on Spleeter, which I didn't have much luck with because I was trying to separate singing from dialogue, not just music. If they start enforcing the two song limit, there are other Spleeter-based web services, or you can install Spleeter on your own computer (it can be a little tricky to get working, but not too bad). I'd be curious whether you get noticeably different results from the various Spleeter web services.

If you just want the vocals, not preserving sound FX and music, I've had some good results with https://audo.ai/noise-removal

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Getting some really clean vocal only tracks using Ultimate Vocal Remover 5. https://github.com/Anjok07/ultimatevocalremovergui
Pretty impressive isolation. I believe you have to prune down your audio files to 10 minutes per pop, but the conversion process is pretty fast. I drop the mkv into audacity, grab the center channel and export as a wav (full for a base) and then 10 minute increments and load them one by one into UVR5. Shoots out a wav file that I load into Vegas.

Update, I was able to do a vocal isolation on a 2 hour wav file! No need to create smaller files :)

Last edited:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may give this a shot for some stuff on my Picard edit. The dialogue bleeds into the front left and right channels almost 100% of the time, which is making some audio transitions tricky.

ScottCrane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m using Ultimate Vocal Remover to remove most of the ‘electronic tonalities’ in the backhround of Forbidden Planet. As long as the tonalities are in the lower regions, this software works perfectly. High pitched tonalities however remain. Their frequency is probably too similar to that of the voices…

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys this is a bit off topic. I’m looking to use a vocal isolator to separate my guitar from vocals. I mic my guitar and vocals separately but they obviously bleed. And I want the two tracks to be as clean as possible and was looking at LALAL.ai. But I wondered if you all had an opinion on whether this is my best bet or if you’d recommend something else. Free is always good but I’m willing to pay if it works well.

korach1921

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to chime into this thread and add that I recently found out that Davinci Resolve has a REALLY good voice isolation tool. I think it's only in the paid version though

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys this is a bit off topic. I’m looking to use a vocal isolator to separate my guitar from vocals. I mic my guitar and vocals separately but they obviously bleed. And I want the two tracks to be as clean as possible and was looking at LALAL.ai. But I wondered if you all had an opinion on whether this is my best bet or if you’d recommend something else. Free is always good but I’m willing to pay if it works well.
I haven't tried this and gotten good results for the instrument, unfortunately, but I've only tried with final mixes on full bands, with minimal instrumentation you may have better luck, but be careful because it can destroy your tone.
What will help more is if you get some mics that only pick up from one direction, called unidirectional microphones, and get some kind of shield to put between your voice and the guitar mic. OR do what the pros do, consider the two you recorded together to be "a scratch track" even if it's multiple tracks, then while listening to that, record each separately for the final tracks, and delete the scratch.

Edit to add, a lot of people don't like recording everything separately because they feel shy, and I agree to an extent, there is a level of personal, self-stage fright that you have to work past if you haven't already, but if that's uncomfortable, the alternative is tracks that bleed. I think keeping the goal in mind is a good motivator to accept the bad of either choice.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't tried this and gotten good results for the instrument, unfortunately, but I've only tried with final mixes on full bands, with minimal instrumentation you may have better luck, but be careful because it can destroy your tone.
What will help more is if you get some mics that only pick up from one direction, called unidirectional microphones, and get some kind of shield to put between your voice and the guitar mic. OR do what the pros do, consider the two you recorded together to be "a scratch track" even if it's multiple tracks, then while listening to that, record each separately for the final tracks, and delete the scratch.

Edit to add, a lot of people don't like recording everything separately because they feel shy, and I agree to an extent, there is a level of personal, self-stage fright that you have to work past if you haven't already, but if that's uncomfortable, the alternative is tracks that bleed. I think keeping the goal in mind is a good motivator to accept the bad of either choice.
Thanks. I’ve recorded separately many times and indeed I do get better results. I’ve got good mics for both vocals and nice matched pair for the guitar. I can position them to get pretty good isolation, but there’s still bleed. I’m hoping the AI will simply improve things. Do you have a recommendation for a particular AI package?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks. I’ve recorded separately many times and indeed I do get better results. I’ve got good mics for both vocals and nice matched pair for the guitar. I can position them to get pretty good isolation, but there’s still bleed. I’m hoping the AI will simply improve things. Do you have a recommendation for a particular AI package?
The best I've tried is mvsep.com but I still wouldn't recommend it for music.

Sorry I think I was unclear. I don't mean record voice and guitar as separate tracks. I knew you were already doing that. I mean you should record each in separate takes. Listen to the scratch track that has both using headphones, while you record your guitar-only track. Then mute that and listen to your scratch track while you record vocals as its own tack, in another take. Then unmute solo guitar and mute or delete the scratch track. What you're left with is isolated guitar and isolated vocals. No bleed.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The best I've tried is mvsep.com but I still wouldn't recommend it for music.

Sorry I think I was unclear. I don't mean record voice and guitar as separate tracks. I knew you were already doing that. I mean you should record each in separate takes. Listen to the scratch track that has both using headphones, while you record your guitar-only track. Then mute that and listen to your scratch track while you record vocals as its own tack, in another take. Then unmute solo guitar and mute or delete the scratch track. What you're left with is isolated guitar and isolated vocals. No bleed.
No I understood you. I’m saying I’ve done that and I do have good results. But I’m also wanting to record live. For that purpose, I’m hoping to improve the isolation through these tools. Thanks for your help. I’ll try it out and see what happens.

LieutenantDan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had pretty good success using online AI tools (such as vocal remover.org)! Just use Audacity to create a short clip, save to .wav and then upload!

MightyAttackTribble

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MVSEP.com has just locked the best AI models behind a paywall and wav and FLAC exports behind a registration system which seems to not actually be working, which sucks.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MVSEP.com has just locked the best AI models behind a paywall and wav and FLAC exports behind a registration system which seems to not actually be working, which sucks.
Has most of the same options and is free.

Top Bottom