• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Scream 4 Recut

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit Film Name: Scream 4 Recut
Fanedit Type: TrueFan Edit
Tagline: Someone has taken the trend of reboots one step too far.

Original Film Name: Scream 4
Original Running Time: 110 minutes
Original Release Date: April 2011
Fanedit Running Time: 107 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: March 2012
Amount of time cut: 10 minutes cut/7 minutes added

Brief Synopsis:
Sidney Prescott returns home to Woodsboro for the last stop on her book tour. But everything turns sour as Ghostface returns to create a new chapter in the Woodsboro Killings. Sidney needs to figure out who's reinventing the deadly game before it’s too late.

Intention:
Scream 4 had the potential to really reboot the franchise and create a new trilogy with a new lead, but they muffed it all up. My main purpose was to completely change the tone of the film by fixing the ending. Instead of having everything wrapped up neatly, it ends with a cliffhanger. Sadly, this sets it up for a whole new trilogy that will never happen the way I want it.

Edit Details:
The biggest change is the ending. When I first saw Scream 4 I was so upset with how it ended. It went on too long and resolved itself too easily. I thought to myself “If they had cut to black at [blank moment] it would have been perfect.” So I wanted to see how it would play out with a new ending. And along the way I made a few minor nips & tucks to the film here and there without going too overboard.

Sources:
Scream 4 R1 DVD
Scream 4 R2 DVD (“The PPV Cut”)

The differences between the editions are all in the audio and most are very minor. I primarily used the audio from the R2 DVD. (Video was from R1.)

Some of the cuts were made to try and match certain beats in the original screenplay, which had a lot of great ideas that were wholly original for the series. (Unfortunately that original script also had a terrible red-herring subplot that thankfully was cut.)

Cut-List:
- Added “Fanedit.org” video logo at the beginning.
- For the Stab 7 opening scene I switched to R1 audio.
- Added “Recut” to the opening title.
- For the scene with Kirby, Jill & Olivia in the car I used the R1 audio.
- Added deleted scene “Crime Scene” after Gail’s scene at her computer. The deleted scene was trimmed to cut out showing Jenny Randall’s body and to cut out Dewey and Deputy Judy’s conversation.
- Added deleted scene “Discussing the Murders” after Gail’s scene with Rebecca.
- Cut out Deputy Judy’s creepy red-herring conversation with Sidney outside Jill’s room.
- Added deleted scene “Trevor Visits Jill In The Hospital” after Gail’s scene with Robbie and Charlie outside the hospital. - Added music from Scream 1. Also trimmed Trevor’s dumb lines at the end.
- Cut Rebecca’s death scene in half. (See what I did there?) After Ghostface jumps on her car and she screams it cuts to Dewey’s press conference. This was to match the way it was written originally.
- Added deleted scene “Kirby and the Boys” after the Cinema Club scene.
- Cut Perkins’ over-the-top death scene. This was to match the way it was written originally.
- For Dewey and Jill in the hospital scene at the end I used the R1 audio for Dewey’s line “And that’s all that matters.”
- After Dewey tells Jill that Sidney’s in ICU and Jill says “What?” the screen smashcuts to black. This was done to match (as best as possible) the original ending.
- Added “Recut by Neglify” before the end credits.
- Replaced all end credits music to include the greatest song ever in a Scream movie, RED RIGHT HAND. The fact that this song wasn’t in Scream 4 was a huge beef for me.

Special Notes:
Thanks to TMBTM for reviewing my workprint and giving great feedback.

Release Information:
Single Layer DVD; AVI

Special Features:
DVD only: Drinking Game subtitle track; Easter Egg

Cover Art:

scream4cover1display.jpg

scream4cover2display.jpg

I have made my peace with Scream 4.

Looking forward to this! And thank you so much for adding RED RIGHT HAND!!!

It'll be interesting to see the results of it. Kinda sad that it won't have the entire ending. But it's okay.

I read the cut-list and here is my thought on two things:

When the black cop is stabbed in the head and he walks outside the car, first time I say that I felt that it was so realistic. I mean people don't always die or fade out right away. They go into shock and does behaves "strange" for awhile before fading out and dying. What movie was that when a guy was stabbed and he just walked away and started doing something weird and then collapsed? I could be wrong though. Anyway, what I want to say is that everything before the "fuck Bruce Willis" should be kept. He opens the door and falls out. CUT. next scene.

The end should be right before the hospital, when Jill is taken outside to the ambulance and all the reporters are surrounding her and taking her picture. The camera is above, looking down on Jill and the shot is in slow-motion. Here is where I would like to see it end. Just cut to credits. This way the ending really plays on the social-commentary part so much heavier. I just felt it gave the Anti-Hero that we see everywhere today, the finger. Also the fame so many are after. So it was perfect, until....the hospital....(but that part could be used after the credits. Think about what Sidney said: consider this to be an alternative ending. Now that part would play so much better if done that way...oh man I guess I also want to edit this madness.) see this clip someone made on youtube

steFANedit, the two things you describe is how I cut those scenes originally. But I eventually read the original script and used that as a guide for some of my cuts.

In regards to Perkins, the original script said something like "Perkins is stabbed in the head. It's a quick death." No coming out of the car, no falling down, no Fuck Bruce Willis. I cut it the way I did to match the script.

Again, I followed the script for the ending.

Side note: In my first attempt to cut this movie I tried to make Gale die. That was a big fail. The last 20 minutes were so messy in my first cut.

So I do agree with what you say, I just wanted to see how it would go the way it was written.

Neglify said:
...In my first attempt to cut this movie I tried to make Gale die. That was a big fail. The last 20 minutes were so messy in my first cut.

So editing the movie in that way doesn't work? That was a big letdown. I watched this in cinemas and then at home on dvd. When I watched it on dvd I took notes in my head (yeah see what this site had done to me) on how "that might be cut" or maybe "change that" or "how about if one did this." before I watched it on dvd I had this idea of editing out the whole "stabaton" at the barn but that just didn't seem to work. which I think is a shame because there was a lot of bad stuff happening there. Like why even be at the barn to begin with? there is a killer on the loose and they have all seen what happened in stab 1 (based on the "real life events") when someone through a party in the middle of nowhere.
I guess there is a lot of stuff that can't be change that I would have liked to have seen changed. But your edit sounds interesting and I will check it out.

(on a side note I read the screenplay for scre4m) and I'm of the belief that this should have ended with scream2

I think we're pretty much on the same page. The movie starts to fall apart at the barn (no spoilers).In my eyes Scream 1 gets a 10/10. Scream 2 is a 9/10. Scream 3 is like a 2/10. Scream 4 I'd give a 7/10, but the way I recut it (if it were the actual movie) I'd give an 8/10.

For all 3 of you interested in this edit, the links on .info are all correctly listed now. Go check it out. Or don't. Your choice.

Neglify said:
For all 3 of you interested in this edit, the links on .info are all correctly listed now. Go check it out. Or don't. Your choice.
You, Yourself and Sean?

g1orkatsos said:
You, Yourself and Sean?

Hmmm... if memory serves me correctly, a certain zombie TV show edit was languishing in the Unapproved section with nobody interested in seeing it until a certain someone came along and approved it.

gkatsos, you just got neglified! :p

i'll give it a spin. hope you don't mind PMing the lynx, neg. [insert screeching feline audio]

ssj said:
gkatsos, you just got neglified! :p

What? No pic?

neglifiedd.jpg

ssj said:
i'll give it a spin. hope you don't mind PMing the lynx, neg. [insert screeching feline audio]

Cool, PM sent (you lazy fool).

:flypig::yell::yell::yell:!THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS!:yell::yell::yell::flypig:

Watched this last night and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was a much improved film, and I already thought it was great to begin with!

I'll start of by saying that I loved the way you blended R1 and R2 audio, I have both versions and I like some added lines that the R2 audio has that the R1 does not.

Also, the deleted scenes are added in beautifully and look as though they have always been there.

I was also really excited to see that you cut Rebecca's death scene like how it was supposed to be in the script. I always thought hers was a little overkill.

Speaking of overkill, I also liked the way you cut Perkin's death scene. His was just too over dramatic and was not realistic at all. And that disappointed me because the Scream series has always striven to be REALLY REALISTIC! No over the top gore, story lines (at least when Kevin's writing), or anything that couldn't happen in real life.

I also was waiting for this ending that Neg created. I wasn't sure how it would work with no 'resolution' like the original Scream had. But I can honestly say that it works amazingly! It is something that Kevin would have approved of.

Oh and...
The alternate ending was very creative too, lol. That really is something I could see Kevin write :). He's always trying to surprise you.

It really feels, to me anyway, more like the original in this version. I feel this is the way Kevin would have wanted it. He always loves to keep you on the edge of your seat. If there happens to be a Scream 5, I would love to see it recut by Neglify.

Well done, Neg! :rockon:

Wow, thanks for the review TM! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Especially coming from another big Scream fan. And I'm glad you liked the alternate ending. I was toying with making that the official ending but it would have been way too difficult to make it flow properly. ;)

Frantic Canadian said:
I'll be watching this tonight.

Nice. I will say though that I remember you hated the original Scream 4 so it may still suck to you. The edit is mainly for people who liked the movie as is or felt that the movie was good until the last 10 minutes. But I hope you enjoy it for what it is. :)

I got all four Scream movies on Blu-Ray for Christmas and gave it Scre4m another shot. I surprisingly loved it upon a second viewing. I now consider it the second best film in the series.

I love the new ending. I wish that was the version in theaters because that really would have made my jaw drop, lol!

Frantic Canadian said:
I got all four Scream movies on Blu-Ray for Christmas and gave it Scre4m another shot. I surprisingly loved it upon a second viewing. I now consider it the second best film in the series.

Whoa. That is surprising. Well then I hope you love the shit of this edit.

TM Productions said:
I love the new ending. I wish that was the version in theaters because that really would have made my jaw drop, lol!

Do you mean the ending in the actual edit itself or the joke alternate ending?

Neglify said:
Whoa. That is surprising. Well then I hope you love the shit of this edit.

Do you mean the ending in the actual edit itself or the joke alternate ending?

I liked both, but the actual edit ending was what I was talking about ;-)

TM Productions said:
I liked both, but the actual edit ending was what I was talking about ;-)

Oh good. Yeah, if that was the real ending to the movie it would have been a way better movie. But, as my previewer said, they would have had to have shot Scream 5 back to back. And I'm sure The Weinstein Company wouldn't have allowed something as brilliant as that.

Back
Top Bottom