• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rogues Alternate/Retro Cover/Poster thread/thread

I feel privileged to share a world with birds known as great tits.

nice artverk, rogue.

ThrowgnCpr said:
nice job on the proportions!

I knew it was a tit right away, and that it looked similar to a Great Tit so it didn't take too long to figure it out.

If I recall correctly, you should see this closely related bird where you live:

Black-capped-chickadee.jpg

The Black-capped Chickadee is one of my favorites.

Thanks man!
I think I saw a couple of them last week actually, could be wrong tho
bird%20drawing%20watercolor2_zpszw3luq6s.jpg~original

ssj said:
nice artverk, rogue.

Thanks essessjay :)

Another big cat, I may start doing these in bigger dimensions later, this is only 6.75x4":
lion%20drawing%20watercolor_zpsogmegm1o.jpg~original

My scanner may be crushing the whites (clipping?) a slight tad.

Instead of scanning why not try digital painting with a Wacom (or similar) tablet?

Tried it, didn't like it. I'd need one of those crazy expensive ones with the screen built in so you draw on the screen, but maybe you can do that with a regular tablet now?

Rogue-theX said:
Tried it, didn't like it. I'd need one of those crazy expensive ones with the screen built in so you draw on the screen, but maybe you can do that with a regular tablet now?

Ah, you mean the Cintiq.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-27-qhd-touch

Yeah those go for crazy monies, the really big one needs a table mount and costs thousands.
I use a standard desktop Wacom tablet but have also found that the recent iPad Pro ("pencil" stylus sold seperately of course, this is Apple we're talking about) does a pretty fine job with the Paintstorm Studio app. You may want to try that if you happen to have a spare wad of cash lying about?

Like you, when I started with a desktop tablet I didn't like it at first but after a while I got to prefer it.
Now I get angry at the fact that my hand gets in the way of what I'm drawing when I use pen and paper! Still, each to their own, keep up the good work whatever tools you find best suited to you.

Yeah the Cintiq looks badass! Too rich for my blood, same with ipadpro, maybe in a few years this stuff will be more common/cheaper. Thanks for posting :)

Here's another bird, used a brush marker and a pen too this time:
bird%20drawing%20watercolor3_zps4uoytm8y.jpg~original

Was given some archival black ink pens for my birthday, super fun to work with, used 'em here along with a graphite pencil for shading the background (bg shading doesn't show up as much in the scanned image tho):
gort_zpsuazdrsei.jpg~original

Also bought myself a few different bottles of black indian ink to mess with, and to just try and get used to using the stuff, again its super fun to work with, here's a couple ufo pictures I did last night, would have done the skies with washes but that has been buckling the paper something fierce so I dry brushed in the skies in these instead and it seemed to work okay:
mountain%20ufo3_zpspnwj9rwd.jpg~original

mountain%20ufo1_zps4jdorrwx.jpg~original

Hadn't drawn anything in a week. Whoops.

nosferatu%20rogue_zpst792xzx5.jpg~original

alien%20kane%20retro%20rogue_zpsw872oo7w.jpg~original

the%20lodger%20rogue_zpsz3wfddrq.jpg~original

Alien if it was an old adventure serial I take it? Nice.

Something like that, I wanted to do a german expressionism silent film poster for it but I think I'd have to do it with gouache and do a more abstract background to pull it off, I more or less threw out the anatomy book with that one trying for something like this:
Oil-painting-font-b-Scream-b-font-by-font-b-Edvard-b-font-font-b-Munch.jpg

Das-Cabinet-des-Dr-Caligari-poster.jpg

kubrick%20photo%20rogue%20drawing_zpslwqu6azo.jpg~original

Sorta based on this photograph by Stanley Kubrick
s-a29e02cbb12fafb251d094003542581e47fe9d9f.jpg

Wanted to try a before/after for this one; Slit from Fury Road, had to adjust the levels after scanning to even see the lines since there on there pretty light:
fury%20road%20slit%20rogue%20pencils_zpsnpxgiujy.jpg~original

(I am now convinced that my scanner has a beef with my pencils, making my before/after idea less worth while but anyway)

what I'm using for reference:
latest

1440262450-348977302.jpg

I will post the inked drawing laterish. Do or do not.

A fantasy map sorta based around the canadian landscape and a bunch of medieval maps:
fantasy%20map%20rogue_zpsjhzqassy.jpg~original

Tolkien would be proud.

Back
Top Bottom