• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rogue One: Where Rebels Dare (TM2YC Fanfix) - Restructure/Less fanservice

dkerin said:
I watched before reading the changes you listed, and loved that I had to ask myself if that Star Destroyer was there in the original or not.

excellent.jpg

After hearing the feedback, I've tweaked a few things about the opening but it's mostly the same, except:

- Added animated clouds to the fake Fox/Disney titlecard, so it looks even more OT style. I cut up a photo of clouds and arranged them in a similar formation to the classic Fox title.
- Faded the SW logo out slightly later to time with the TN1 reference.
- Reconfigured the justification of the crawl text. In blender there is the option of "Justified" and "Flush". IMO neither is perfect to recreate the way the words and letters are spaced in a classic SW crawl but I decided that "Flush" was closer to the correct look. "Flush" was what DigMod's crawl guide suggested in the first place, silly me :D .
- Adjusted the way the crawl disappears when it reaches the top of the screen. I had it hitting the invisible line where it starts fading too early and the fade line was too soft. The final dissolve has been re-timed too.

(Password: fanedit.org

Just so there is something different to see, I've let the video play on over the "Blue Milk fanservice" shot. I've altered it so the camera pans "hand held" style following Lyra's movement across the kitchen. I think this eliminates the distraction caused by the slow zoom in on the cup of blue milk... at least I found it distracting? ;)

By the way @"DigModiFicaTion" , I employed a technique I've used many times in fanedits to make digital things look less digital. So on the crawl, I used the "Quick Blur" filter (set to 0.001), followed by the "Sharpen" filter (set to 0.200). I find this gives FX elements a more imprecise/organic feel and softens harsh digital edges, when one is trying to get that 70s FX feel. A similar thing can probably be done in blender I imagine but then again, it's handy to have the crawl sharp so the background can be matted out accurately in Vegas (or other NLE).

Canon Editor said:
I still can’t get over “fearing this” though.  It really feels kind of shallow phrasing, somewhat… it does not detract in the least, though!

I have to second this. My wife and I both found that phrasing awkward. We read silently and it came up when talking about it afterward.

I was really surprised at how seamless the sequence is, great work!

Could go "A rebellion stirs across the galaxy.  In response,  the evil..."

Here's my take on the cover:
artboard-copy-144.png

What do you think?

^ Very nice indeed!

addiesin said:
Could go "A rebellion stirs across the galaxy.  In response,  the evil..."

Kinda sounds like a press release to me :D . Thanks for all the suggestions everybody but the crawl text is "locked" now. I'm very happy with it.

I decided to rework the 13-year transition again by replacing the title theme and imperial theme:

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Score replaced with a different arrangement by Giacchino (on a theme by JW)
- Replaced soundFX
- Re-timed and shortened some FX shots and altered some camera moves
- Made the 13-years text smaller again and re-timed it to the new music
- Recut last shots of young Jyn
- Adjusted camera move on the SD closeup shot, so it now stays fixed on the SD and doesn't track the tie so much

TM2YC said:
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody but the crawl text is "locked" now. I'm very happy with it.

Could you please remove the comma between 'Galen Erso' and 'has fled'? The sentence doesn't need it.

(A nitpick, I know, but it unsettles me...)

Edit: Alternatively, you could add another comma after 'Scientist'. That would work too.

TM2YC said:
jswert123456 said:
where rebels dare- cover version 3

Thanks for the covers :) . I like V3 the best as it's got a nice space on the back cover to add text (when I get round to writing some).

DigModiFicaTion said:
What was the magic Old # to New #? Also, did you want the text to fade early or all together?

I'll answer in your crawl thread but I'm unsure what you mean about "fade early or all together"?

sadly the site where i was hosting my images, sudenly shut down
tried imgur and tinypic and neither of those work for me.

TM2YC said:
I decided to rework the 13-year transition again by replacing the title theme and imperial theme:

- Score replaced with a different arrangement by Giacchino (on a theme by JW)
- Replaced soundFX
- Re-timed and shortened some FX shots and altered some camera moves
- Made the 13-years text smaller again and re-timed it to the new music
- Recut last shots of young Jyn
- Adjusted camera move on the SD closeup shot, so it now stays fixed on the SD and doesn't track the tie so much

This works extremely well. I definitely prefer it to the version that transitions to adult Jyn in the prison, but that leaves the question of where to put the title card in the non-crawl cut.

Thanks for the feedback on that clip. I'm finally happy with it.

Garp said:
Could you please remove the comma between 'Galen Erso' and 'has fled'? The sentence doesn't need it.

Hmmm, I jeep looking at it and reading it back in my head. Maybe you are right about that comma. Here is the the crawl as it appears now:

When confronted by the
destructive potential of these
ideas, the chief Imperial
Scientist Galen Erso, has fled
with the help of the Rebel
extremist Saw Gerrera.

When confronted by the destructive potential of these ideas, the chief Imperial Scientist Galen Erso, has fled with the help of the Rebel extremist Saw Gerrera.

Should that comma go?

TM2YC said:
Should that comma go?

Yes, I think so.

Also, I think the reason you're confused is you jeep looking at it.

As I recall from school, commas in a sentence bracket a phrase or sentence that would still allow the sentence to make sense if the phrase was removed.

Therefore: 

"When confronted by the destructive potential of these ideas, the chief Imperial Scientist, Galen Erso, has fled with the help of the Rebel extremist Saw Gerrera."

The comma after "ideas" is a pause, but also denotes a new idea. You should be able to change this comma to a full stop (period) and add it to the end of sentence, and it would still make sense:

"The chief Imperial Scientist, Galen Erso, has fled with the help of the Rebel extremist Saw Gerrera when confronted by the destructive potential of these ideas, "

The commas after "Scientist" and "Erso" are the phrase that could be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence. Thus it could become:

"When confronted by the destructive potential of these ideas, the chief Imperial Scientist has fled with the help of the Rebel extremist Saw Gerrera."

Alternatively, both commas around his name could be removed, and the meaning would be unchanged:

"When confronted by the destructive potential of these ideas, the chief Imperial Scientist Galen Erso has fled with the help of the Rebel extremist Saw Gerrera."

NB: I am not an English teacher and I don't play one on TV.

Unrelated, but @"Garp", may I ask why you have a thing that says "Fan Edit Fan" and not "Registed User"? 
It mildly annoys me beacuse it's supposted to be fanedit, not fan edit.

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Unrelated, but @"Garp", may I ask why you have a thing that says "Fan Edit Fan" and not "Registed User"? 

That was back when I was new and uninitiated. If someone can tell me how to change it, I will.

Garp said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

That was back when I was new and uninitiated. If someone can tell me how to change it, I will.

I've altered it back to what it used to be... pray I don't alter it further ;) .

The crawl has also been altered to delete that comma. Thanks for the feedback.

Back in January I uploaded this clip of the transition from Cassian to Jyn using an establishing shot from 'Dredd' (shot is 24 seconds in)...

...but I could never get it to a point where I was 100% happy with it and it wasn't a very close match for the prison interior we see out of Jyn's cell door anyway.

So I've reworked that sequence using a really nice shot I found in 'Prometheus'. It's a very close match for the Wobani terrain we see as Jyn is later being driven to the labour camp and the right-to-left cloud movement matches up with the look of the preceding Wobani planet shot.

- Restored Wobani planet shot back to it's original speed (no slowmo extension)
- Used a minor FX tweak to remove the Wobani onscreen title, rather than the heavy cropping method I'd used before. Much better
- Replaced soundFX again to match the new shot
- Graded shots

The new shot is 35 seconds in but I've uploaded a couple of minutes to show how the new re-introduction to Jyn plays out in full. I don't think I've uploaded all of it together before. The sequence combines three scenes 1. 'Jyn in prison' 2. 'Jyn's dream about her father' and 3. 'Jyn in the crawler about to be rescued' into one sequence. This is designed to give Jyn a more solid/sustained re-intro and also serves to remove some of the choppiness that having these 3 scenes spread throughout the first act created IMO.

Back
Top Bottom