• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Rogue One: Where Rebels Dare (TM2YC Fanfix) - Restructure/Less fanservice

Where did you get the audio of the alien snoring? For some reason it reminds me of the snarl of the "Massiff" dog creatures at the Tusken Raider camp in Attack of the Clones. I also think the voice filtering on the Stormtroopers needs to be adjusted, it just sounds a little off to me. 

Personally, I think I was a fan of your earlier ideas for the opening: it seems a little weird to me to cut to Adult Jyn doing essentially nothing only to cut away so quickly and not return to her for a while (also a problem with the theatrical release).

I'm also anti-crawl and pro-planet title card, only because I don't think a crawl really adds any needed exposition and because no other Star Wars film jumps around so frequently in its first 20 minutes, necessitating the title cards imo.

Do you have any plans for Bor Gullet? I'm personally not a huge fan of that scene and wouldn't mind seeing it go, if you can reduce Bodhi's disorientation a bit later.

octoroxx said:
Where did you get the audio of the alien snoring? For some reason it reminds me of the snarl of the "Massiff" dog creatures at the Tusken Raider camp in Attack of the Clones. I also think the voice filtering on the Stormtroopers needs to be adjusted, it just sounds a little off to me. 

Well listened! It's a mixture of those Tusken dog things and the "all powerful" Sarlacc. The Stormtrooper voices are from ANH and from a 101st-legion free ambience track.

octoroxx said:
Personally, I think I was a fan of your earlier ideas for the opening: it seems a little weird to me to cut to Adult Jyn doing essentially nothing only to cut away so quickly and not return to her for a while (also a problem with the theatrical release).

I'm also anti-crawl and pro-planet title card, only because I don't think a crawl really adds any needed exposition and because no other Star Wars film jumps around so frequently in its first 20 minutes, necessitating the title cards imo.

I agree, to my mind 'No crawl+No premature cut to Jyn' is undoubtedly the best way to tell this story and to structure this film but the opportunity to make this film feel more Star-Warsy is strong. Perhaps I'll do two versions of this edit since I will never be 100% happy with either version. After the first act, they will be the same of course.

octoroxx said:
Do you have any plans for Bor Gullet? I'm personally not a huge fan of that scene and wouldn't mind seeing it go, if you can reduce Bodhi's disorientation a bit later.

I never had any problem with it and I can't see how it can be removed effectively if I wanted to remove it. I have restructured some of those scenes though.

You could always just cut the prologue and open with the Death Star. Now that would be where editors dare ;)

You could also salvage some of the prologue scenes via flashbacks ala TLJ. Since that is star warsy now.....

If I could make a suggestion, during the Vader bacta scene, I would have Vaneé (Vader's assistant) say "My Lord." when he's kneeling. When it cuts to the shot of it face, it kind of looks like he just finished saying something.

DigModiFicaTion said:
You could always just cut the prologue and open with the Death Star. Now that would be where editors dare ;)

You could also salvage some of the prologue scenes via flashbacks ala TLJ. Since that is star warsy now.....

Somebody could and should try those ideas but they're not for me.

Nerdman3000 said:
If I could make a suggestion, during the Vader bacta scene, I would have Vaneé (Vader's assistant) say "My Lord." when he's kneeling. When it cuts to the shot of it face, it kind of looks like he just finished saying something.

That just might work.

Here is the new version of the 'young Jyn/13 years later..../Death Star' transition:

(Password: fanedit.org)

Changes include:
- Remixed music
- Swapped Stardestroyer shots so we go naturally from far-away, to close-up. Also I realised this makes it clearer, from the first frame, that the Tarkin scene is on a SD and not the DS.
- Reworked the soundFX
- Made text smaller and aded the missing fourth "." I forgot about.

Eh, the new transition to the Death Star doesn't really work as well to me. I think the young to old Jyn you had earlier worked a lot better.

I just can’t get past that theme that was used for the titles in the theatrical that you use as the transition. I like a lot of what Giacchino did with this score but that cue reminds me of a bad latter day Star Trek cue. wpuld you consider rescoring that transition?

Nerdman3000 said:
Eh, the new transition to the Death Star doesn't really work as well to me. I think the young to old Jyn you had earlier worked a lot better.

Agreed. I don't mind jumping to adult Jyn in prison not doing anything, because... she's in prison, man. It hints, through silent storytelling, at the later confirmed revelation that she's lost her way, and with the Death Star coming together, there's the thematic implication that, had she been more focused and proactive in the intervening years, maybe her courage might have inspired two others to be courageous, which might have inspired four more, etc., and then maybe things wouldn't have gotten this bad to begin with. As the saying goes, ""All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." We soon learn that Jyn has, apparently, been doing more or less nothing all these years; hence evil's looming triumph - and when she does act, later on, evil fails. Her arc ties the movie together, man!

There may not be enough material in the movie to make her a detailed character, but I think the stronger the thematic interplay between her and the DS plot, the better. ;)

^ Interesting argument but I was suggesting doing two cuts of this project, one with a transition to Jyn in prison as you suggest. The other will hold older-Jyn's reveal back until she is broken out of prison, so I'm just wanting to know if that clip worked technically.

Yes, I don’t know if that works either.  It feels kind of jumping with as many shots… why not keep it simpler?

Oooh, nice! Not going to watch any clips to not ruin the fun upon first viewing. Can't wait!

The new opening is complete :) . Big thanks to @"DigModiFicaTion" for his help and for his Custom Crawl Guide, plus the help from various people in writing the crawl text. Here it is:

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Beautiful Fox style Disney titlecard by a youtube user called "Timon Berkowitz a.k.a Chris Ruiz". I've cropped it, added grain and adjusted the colours using the DE as a reference to give it a more vintage feel. Audio from DE. Timing and fades matched to DE.
- Remade green Lucasfilm title using TN1 as a reference. I wanted it to look like the old logo but clean and new.
- Remade "A long time ago..." title using TN1 as a reference. Again I wanted it to look classic but clean and fresh too.
- Remade Star Wars logo, animated frame-by-frame to copy the way the SW77 logo recedes. Again I wanted to act like the classic logo but neat and clean.
- New crawl created using @"DigModiFicaTion" 's blender guide, timed to be as close to the SW77 crawl as I could get it.
- Crawl music taken from AOTC as I think it melts very nicely into the Giacchino opening score for Lah' Mu.
- Pan down timed frame-by-frame to the SW77 pan down.
- Created new wide shot of Lah' Mu.
- Added Stardestroyer to shuttle shot behind Lah' Mu rings to match my new shot.
- Lah' Mu shots are the final regrade. More contrasty and more depth of colour.

It's awesome to see your favorite editor use a tool you've created in one of their edits :D  
Doesn't Krennic's shuttle have hyperdrive capabilities?  :p Still, that SD looks great!

TM2YC said:
- New crawl created using @"DigModiFicaTion" 's blender guide, timed to be as close to the SW77 crawl as I could get it.

What was the magic Old # to New #? Also, did you want the text to fade early or all together?

where rebels dare- cover version 1
where_rebels_dare-__version_1.jpg

where rebels dare- cover version 2
where_rebels_dare-_version_2.jpg

where rebels dare- cover version 3
where_rebels_dare-_version_3.jpg

jswert123456 said:
where rebels dare- cover version 3

Thanks for the covers :) . I like V3 the best as it's got a nice space on the back cover to add text (when I get round to writing some).

DigModiFicaTion said:
What was the magic Old # to New #? Also, did you want the text to fade early or all together?

I'll answer in your crawl thread but I'm unsure what you mean about "fade early or all together"?

TM2YC said:
I'll answer in your crawl thread but I'm unsure what you mean about "fade early or all together"?

I'm excited to get those digits ;)
In terms of the fade, I'm referring to when the fade occurs. This video shows different versions of the crawl and how early text fades out. Your crawl is very reminiscent of Harmy's where it fades out early at the beginning text lines in comparison to the other crawls. This starts to be most noticeable around 1:40 in the comparison video below.

After watching this video, I'd say the angle, text color and speed of the custom crawl creator is a result of my producing it against the SE crawl as a reference. Now I need to go make Silverscreen and DE editions of the custom crawl creator  :rolleyes: Even my faux "Walt Disney Pictures" 20th century Fox screen is SE....

DigModiFicaTion said:
In terms of the fade, I'm referring to when the fade occurs. This video shows different versions of the crawl and how early text fades out. Your crawl is very reminiscent of Harmy's where it fades out early at the beginning text lines in comparison to the other crawls. This starts to be most noticeable around 1:40 in the comparison video below.

I think my crawl fades out a little after the DE. I did this to compensate for it arriving slightly too late at the top of the screen, so it probably times closer to the TN1 crawl. I did notice on those comparisons that the Star Wars logo fades out as line two of the crawl reaches the screen in the DE but on line three for the TN1 crawl. I might alter that.

By the way, seeing all those Fox logos together made me realise the custom Disney/Fox logo I've used doesn't have clouds. I'll see if I can add some.

Nicely done!!!   I watched before reading the changes you listed, and loved that I had to ask myself if that Star Destroyer was there in the original or not.

That was wonderful.  Absolutely.  Amazing.  Well done.  I still can’t get over “fearing this” though.  It really feels kind of shallow phrasing, somewhat… it does not detract in the least, though!  

And version 3 of the cover is BEAUTIFUL.

Back
Top Bottom