• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random TV Show Thoughts

DSM2337 said:
Buffy still remains in my top 3 shows, maybe even number 1 for rewatchability (I wish that was a word). Happy birthday Buffy!

Agreed.  20 years later, and still gloriously entertaining. :)

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
Agreed that the season long big bad trope has gotten stale, but still preferable to a cliff hanger that never gets resolved because of cancellation.
[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I don't even know why tv producers even risk it anymore in this age of cable and streaming.  I am still furious that the SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES ended on cliffhanger.  :mad: [/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]The only unresolved cliffhanger ending that felt "perfect" to me, and I understand it was done partly by design, was ANGEL.  As the theme of that show (along with redemption) was never about winning or defeating evil, it was about standing up and never giving up the good fight.[/font]

More Buffy....  :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgH7ZvKodg8[/video]

Anyone like Master of None?  I've watched the first few episodes, and in some ways it's a fairly formulaic sitcom (for a present day non-laugh-track sitcom).  But Aziz has a great spark, and his Indian background gives him some new ground to mine. His parents are great, for instance.

(And yeah I know I'm way behind the times on it)

Aye, I quite like it, and the character interactions and stories get notably, though not wildly, more complex and mature in the season's second half. Definitely feels like a more upbeat cousin to Louie in terms of auteurist half-hour comedic storytelling.

I need help finding the german region 2 DVD of the original 21 jump street series
i read on some blogs that the german DVDs have the original music and there are no cut scenes
and there's an English audio track option.
not sure if this is for the whole series or just certain seasons.

TVs Frink said:
Anyone like Master of None?  I've watched the first few episodes, and in some ways it's a fairly formulaic sitcom (for a present day non-laugh-track sitcom).  But Aziz has a great spark, and his Indian background gives him some new ground to mine. His parents are great, for instance.

It's good and pretty realistic

addiesin said:
TVs Frink said:

It's good and pretty realistic
I enjoyed the show.

Bloodline Season Three (Final) - Netflix

"I'm here to confess."

bloodline-season-3-kyle-chandler.jpg

Season One Thoughts
Season Two Thoughts

With high production costs and tax subsidies drying up, Bloodline came to a somewhat premature end - the producers got their post-S2 renewal, but for one final season, rather than the third of 5-6 they'd hoped for. As a result, this season feels a bit awkward, sometimes rushing through plot developments, but sometimes taking its sweet-ass time. Reviews have been mixed, with the last few episodes proving especially divisive. It definitely feels a bit ragged and cobbled-together, but with acting this uniformly superlative, led by my main man Kyle Chandler in full breakdown mode, I was more than happy to go along for the ride. A satisfying if not electrifying conclusion to a great and entirely unique show.

Season Three: B+
Overall series grade: A-

Oh sweet! New season of Luther on Netfli.... TWO EPISODES? WTF BBC? WHERE IS THE LICENSE FEE I DON'T PAY GOING? :p

Gaith said:
With high production costs and tax subsidies drying up, Bloodline came to a somewhat premature end - the producers got their post-S2 renewal, but for one final season, rather than the third of 5-6 they'd hoped for. As a result, this season feels a bit awkward, sometimes rushing through plot developments, but sometimes taking its sweet-ass time. Reviews have been mixed, with the last few episodes proving especially divisive. It definitely feels a bit ragged and cobbled-together, but with acting this uniformly superlative, led by my main man Kyle Chandler in full breakdown mode, I was more than happy to go along for the ride. A satisfying if not electrifying conclusion to a great and entirely unique show.

It's such a shame it got pulled so early. But I understand why, shooting in the Florida Keys must be expensive aaaffffff

Master of None Season Two (2017, Netflix)

55890468c5e010960_w.jpg

The main arc of Master of None S2 suffers a bit from an underwhelming romance, with an undercooked female partner for Dev that isn't as interesting or engaging as S1's Rachel. Still, even when not firing on all cylinders, the show's always watchable, beautifully photographed, and often quite fun. As with Louie, the ep-to-ep unpredictability is welcome.

Definitely watch these: "The Thief" (S2 premiere), "First Date", "New York, I Love You", and "Thanksgiving".

(I'll be honest, I was too uncomfortable over dinner, and then too apathetic, to finish: "Amarsi Un Po".)

S2 grade: B+

Gaith said:
Master of None Season Two (2017, Netflix)

55890468c5e010960_w.jpg

The main arc of Master of None S2 suffers a bit from an underwhelming romance, with an undercooked female partner for Dev that isn't as interesting or engaging as S1's Rachel. Still, even when not firing on all cylinders, the show's always watchable, beautifully photographed, and often quite fun. As with Louie, the ep-to-ep unpredictability is welcome.

Definitely watch these: "The Thief" (S2 premiere), "First Date", "New York, I Love You", and "Thanksgiving".

(I'll be honest, I was too uncomfortable over dinner, and then too apathetic, to finish: "Amarsi Un Po".)

S2 grade: B+

I thought season two was superior to season one in almost every aspect possible.   I would easily give it an A.  The story lines were richer, being both more mature and substantive.  Creatively, the show took more chances, with each episode having a different style.   And overall, I just found it funnier than season one. :)

bionicbob said:
Continuing to prove Hollywood is afraid of original ideas, now comes word ABC will produce a sequel pilot to MAGNUM PI!

The series would follow Magnum's daughter Lilly, who takes over her Dad's detective agency after she is kicked out of the Navy.   

No word yet is Tom Selleck will be involved or not.

Not sure if I like this idea or not. 

I love Magnum PI.  It is a "perfect" show in my mind.  It was well written, solid entertainment with great characters, and it never jumped the shark during its eight season run.

Does it need a sequel?  Of course not.  Though in my fan imagination, I always hoped maybe CBS would do some reunion movies like was done with Columbo or Rockford Files or Perry Mason.   I even thought when JAG was on the air, that Magnum could show up as a Navy Captain facing some sort of criminal charges.  Or even better yet, have Magnum head one of the NCIS spin-off -- NCIS HAWAII!!! 

In the right hands, it could be cool.   Or it could be another Knight Rider. lol

So it looks like the Magnum sequel series at ABC is dead (which would have starred Magnum's daughter Lilly) and instead CBS is going forward with a full on reboot.

https://geektyrant.com/news/the-classic-series-magnum-pi-is-getting-a-reboot-at-cbs

It is being spearheaded by the same writer/producer who successfully rebooted both Hawaii 5-O and MacGyver for CBS, so it going to pilot/series is probably pretty strong.  And with Hawaii 5-O dipping in the ratings, I imagine CBS would like to have a show ready to take over the production duties there.... which is the same way the original Magnum ended up in Hawaii.

The premise and characters will be the same except Higgins will now be a woman and former MI6 operative.

Not sure how I feel.  Magnum PI is a beloved comfort food show for me from childhood.  Would much rather have a sequel.

Plus, I do not like the MacGyver reboot at all and while I enjoyed the initial first season of the rebooted Hawaii 5-O, it quickly became too much comedy/action formula for me, lacking any of the grittiness and gravitas of the original incarnation.

But let the speculation begin.... who would you cast as the iconic ex-Navy SEAL turned private (not eye) investigator Thomas S. Magnum?  And more importantly, do you keep the stache???????  :p

I regret to inform everyone that, according to former AV Club writer Nathan Rabin, the PG-13 Michael Shannon-starring Furry-themed Christmas/Bigfoot sex farce Pottersville, a movie that actually exists, is, remarkably, not only bad, but boring as heck, to boot.

I just finished season 4 of Star Trek DS9.  I'm not sure how I feel about
Odo being human now

suspiciouscoffee said:
I just finished season 4 of Star Trek DS9.  I'm not sure how I feel about
Odo being human now

Keep with it.  Some very cool stories and character moments arise from Odo's new status.   ;)

Finished The Haunting of Hill House last night. Wasn't super pleased with the direction the ending took, but it's still a great series overall. Wonderfully creepy atmosphere throughout, and probably the best jump scare I've experienced in a long time in episode 9 (or 8? I think it was in 9).

ChainsawAsh said:
Finished The Haunting of Hill House last night. Wasn't super pleased with the direction the ending took, but it's still a great series overall.

5d6.gif

Woke up this morning thinking of a potential X-Men-lite broadcast network drama: what if all the X-Men weren't mutants or superheroes, but... renegade 20-something doctors? High school STEM teachers by day, but by night/during emergencies, at the behest of psychiatrist billionaire Xavier, they fly around in private jets, making the hard medical calls and unauthorized (by the insurance companies) surgeries others won't, all in the name of healing the sick and underprivileged. (And often in disguise, because Bureaucracy.)

Obviously, there'd be running gags about how the characters vaguely resemble the comics ones: Scott has a pronounced photosensitivity, requiring him to wear red-tinted glasses, Ororo is a total Weather Channel nerd who's always telling weather stories and metaphors, Hank is an oddball who dyes his hair blue... but mainly, primarily, they're all physicians. Hot 20-something physicians, particularly new bad boy Aussie doctor Logan. (Yeah, I know, but he'd be an Aussie in the show, because sexy accent.) It'd be like House, MD crossed with NCIS. Meanwhile, there'd be occasional hints at certain... powers developing, but the show gets canceled in its second or third season, right as some Terrigenesis-type event happens, and the show is on the verge of actually getting good.

The whole idea strikes me as terrifying plausible, really. :p

I just finished Season 2 of Making a Murderer.  They probably shouldn't have aired it until there was actually, you know, an ending.  As it is now it just kinda stops.

Wizards of Waverly Place aside, I'm kinda surprised no broadcast TV network has tried to do a Harry Potter knockoff, i.e., a show build around young people doing magic in a secret/quasi-contemporary setting. Maybe The CW, the most obvious network, is prevented from doing so by its Rowling-associated parent WB. But one would think one of the other networks might?

Back
Top Bottom