• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random TV Show Thoughts

Based on all the top 10 TV shows in that thread, there are a LOT of people who really, really need to see 'The Wire.'

Never seen it.

Way down on my list.

TVs Frink said:
Never seen it.

Way down on my list.

Why is it way down on your list? I don't know anybody who's seen it and doesn't rave about it (which makes sense because it's spectacular).

I don't really know that much about it honestly.  More that it hasn't crossed my radar beyond the fact that a lot of people seem to like it.  I have so many other things to watch.  I just started The Sopranos!  I'm only partway through S2 of Stranger Things!  I never saw the last season of 30 Rock! (j/k)

All good, just curious. I have heard many variations of "I don't like cop shows" so I thought maybe it was that. Anyway, do get to it sometime. I think it's one of the best pieces of art out there. And I'm jealous of everybody that gets to watch it for the first time. Sopranos is a lot more uneven in my opinion but at it's high points, it is one of the best. Enjoy!

Earlier last year, I decided to rewatch Star Trek: The Next Generation. Since there are already so many other shows on my plate and I really don't have the patience to sit through seven 20+ episode seasons anymore, I decided to restrict myself to only 13 episodes per season, mostly ones focusing on characterization and worldbuilding. After many months of on again, off again viewing, I finished my truncated rewatch of Season 1.

EPISODE RATINGS

• "Encounter at Farpoint" – 6/10
  • "The Naked Now" – 4/10
  • "The Last Outpost" – 5/10
  • "Where No One Has Gone Before" – 7/10
  • "Haven" – 5/10
  • "The Big Goodbye" – 5/10
  • "Datalore" – 8/10
  • "11001001" – 8/10
  • "Coming of Age" – 6/10
  • "Heart of Glory" – 5/10
  • "Skin of Evil" – 5/10
  • "Conspiracy" – 6/10
  • "The Neutral Zone" – 6/10
Even cut down, Season 1 is fair at best. Yar is still a wasted character, Worf & Wesley still suck, and "Conspiracy" remains an episode I would've rated higher if it had led anywhere.

Season 2 is pretty bad too. Things really get good about halfway through Season 3. The 80s were a crazy time for TV. No way would a show get a 60 episode grace period in 2019.

IMG-5867.jpg

The badly done widescreen conversion of 'Friends' actually adds something to the comedy when characters on the periphery of the frame are speaking without moving their lips, or repeating lines they said in the preceding shot. Although occasionally this is offset by jokes involving something at the bottom of the frame being no longer understandable.

I watched the pilot of Black Mirror today.

I didn't like it.

Duragizer said:

I didn't like it.

The pig episode? I watched that and was so put off I didn't touch the rest of the show literally for years. And it's the reason I have a hard time recommending the show, people like to start with Episode 1 and watch things in order. Then they see that. At least Netflix seems to know, they start their listings with the first episode of their newest season, similar to what they do with Arrested Development's episode listing.

addiesin said:
Duragizer said:

I didn't like it.

The pig episode? I watched that and was so put off I didn't touch the rest of the show literally for years. And it's the reason I have a hard time recommending the show, people like to start with Episode 1 and watch things in order. Then they see that. At least Netflix seems to know, they start their listings with the first episode of their newest season, similar to what they do with Arrested Development's episode listing.

It's such an odd choice for episode 1, as well. It's the only one set in present time, so it doesn't really feel like the rest of the series. It's also one of the weaker episodes. I always tell people who have never seen the show to just watch 'The Entire History of You.' It's one of the strongest in the series and also a perfect representative of the show as a whole.

TM2YC said:
The badly done widescreen conversion of 'Friends' actually adds something to the comedy when characters on the periphery of the frame are speaking without moving their lips, or repeating lines they said in the preceding shot. Although occasionally this is offset by jokes involving something at the bottom of the frame being no longer understandable.

Speaking of badly done widescreen conversions, anyone seen the HD version of Baywatch? it's awful! Scenes are missing, episodes have the wrong names, wrong takes are used, and whenever there's a scene with music that they couldn't get the rights to, they just lazily put some new music in and don't even bother to put in any sound effects, now it just looks like a music video and just comes off as very lazy. The only plus sides is that the image quality is fantastic and the colours are wonderful.

wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

Speaking of badly done widescreen conversions, anyone seen the HD version of Baywatch? it's awful!

Well it is Baywatch....

LOL, Baywatch. I'm sure the only thing they worried about during the reframing was making sure the bouncy boobs stayed in frame.

The HIGHLANDER complete TV series box set released last year by VEI is another horrific widescreen conversion.  Why do they waste time and money on such things?  Respect the original aspect ratio imo.

Is there an official release of the Highlander TV series that's in better quality? Does anyone know if the Hulu release is wonky? I've been meaning to get into the show (as soon as I get around to watching the first movie, maybe the second but probably not)

Duragizer said:

I didn't like it.

It's so awful. I watched that episode alone after friends told me how good the series was and hated it. One of those friends got me to watch Black Christmas with him a couple of weeks later and it was good enough to get me to go back and watch the rest of the series.

jrWHAG42 said:
Is there an official release of the Highlander TV series that's in better quality? Does anyone know if the Hulu release is wonky? I've been meaning to get into the show (as soon as I get around to watching the first movie, maybe the second but probably not)

The original release by Anchor Bay was excellent.  Still SD, not remastered, but equal to the original broadcast versions....the the compression was good, only 3 oe 4 episodes per dvd if memory serves?  Also some nice bonus material.  Unfortunately these releases have been long out of print and are a small fortune on Amazon.

Hurm, I'll probably just stick to renewing the Hulu subscription down the line and watch it on there. It's too expensive for me on dvd

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that the full series is available to stream on Amazon Prime, so this whole post and my previous post don't matter.

Back
Top Bottom