• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random TV Show Thoughts

dangermouse said:
Thanks for the heads-up on the man in the high castle. LOVED season 1, and am looking forward to season 2. :)

To be honest, S01 felt like message medicine to me.
I watched it, but I damn sure ain't buying the DVD box for $5.00.

I am currently at S02E05.  The pace is better, and the tone is not nearly as downbeat.
Not that the occupied realm is fairy dust and happiness, but characters develop spines.
Perceptions are now in play, as it were.
The whole series is available, and I imagine you will enjoy.

Out of sheer stupid curiosity I checked out the all-new Celebrity Apprentice with Arnold Schwarzenegger...... wow, what a train wreck!

It was truly painful to see one of the biggest screen action icons of the 80s and 90s reduced to Trump replacement....
Instead of "You're Fired", he says "You're Terminated!".
And instead of sending the person to the limo, he says "Go to the Chopper"....

I felt so sorry and humiliated for him.   Hollywood is a cruel beast.

Seriously, if Arnold wants so desperately to stay in the spotlight game, he should get his team to develop a weekly action drama tv series for him... but this...????  So embarrassing....   :s :cry:

^ Oh, I'm sure tons of shows would love to have him, but most shows are hard work. For this, all he has to do is sit at a desk and have people fawn over him. It may well be a pathetic spectacle, but I'd save my pity. ;)

^ LOL, someone isn't a fan of the governator ::D 

I mostly agree with you Gaith, but I would guess it is less a matter of Arnie being lazy and more to do the fact that his schedule wouldn't permit him to star in a drama television series. Those are incredibly demanding.

But those reality shows are pretty pathetic, and I don't feel bad for anyone who chooses to participate in them.

^ Oh, but I am an Arnie fan! I'm a big fan of The 6th Day, T3, The Last Stand, Expendables 2, Escape Plan, and I even dug him in Sabotage... I don't love his politics and have a neutral opinion of his character, but I'm always rooting for him as an actor/star. I'd love to see him join the next Avatar or Aliens movie, or be a recurring baddie on Agents of SHIELD. Say what one likes about the guy, he's the only one of his kind, and that's not nothing.

But a reality show judge? No, not interested in that. ;)

Also:

the-man-in-the-high-castle-season-2.jpg

Season 3 is happening. Nice.

I generally like him too. He's made some great movies, and while I also disagree with many of his political views, he is pretty reasonable and someone that I could probably work with if I were in that game. I loved the climate change video he made.

However, I hope I never see him in Aliens or Avatar. I hope I never see ANYONE in Avatar! Can those 400 sequels, or however many they have planned, just go away now?  :p

TM2YC said:
Damn! Complete Quantum Leap coming to blu-ray next month...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Quantum-Leap-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/133988/

...but it's region-A only as far as I can see :dodgy: . Hopefully UK-Netflix will get it. The high-product values of this show should really shine in HD.

It's interesting, it says the soundtrack is almost fully restored.  I wonder what songs are still missing?  As the classic music, much like Wonder Years or Miami Vice, was a very key element in the storytelling.

What I love about Mill Creek is they release (or re-release after other distributors lose the rights) at very inexpensive prices, thus making it very affordable to pick up complete series sets for almost the same price as the original single season sets.  But the trade off is often they go very cheap on the packaging, tending towards discs in stacked paper sleeves, leading to easy disc scratching.

That said, I really want to buy Mill Creek's blu ray releases of AIRWOLF and KNIGHT RIDER... but I just can not quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

Wow, 60 bucks (American), that is SUPER cheap.

Okay, now this is weird. I'll let the AV Club explain:

Yes, an old Western had a villain named Trump who promised to build a wall

A recently unearthed CBS Western called Trackdown foreshadowed the rise of Trump with eerie accuracy. The show, which aired for two seasons from 1957 to 1959, featured a Texan narrator who brought good-natured Texas Ranger Hobey Gilman to American living rooms.

The Trump episode aired in 1958 with the prescient title “The End Of The World.” In it, a con man named Walter Trump—referred to throughout as “Trump”—comes to town touting a genius idea to save everyone from the coming apocalypse. The plan that he says only he can institute is to build a wall around the town.

More at the link.

Anyone watch s2 of Man in the High Castle yet?We liked s1 well enough but I was a bit offput by the fact that it was so different from the PK Dick source material, at least as I remember it from 30 years ago.

BATES MOTEL

Does anyone watch this?  I always seem to miss it when it airs on A&E and then later do a quick binge when Netflix grabs it.

My wife and I just watched season four and as with the end of every season I remark how unrelated Norman and Mothers' arc is from the rest of the show.  The majority of the plots involving Dylan, Emma and the Sheriff only affect Norman on the most superficial levels.   Most of it feels like story filler compared the meat of the show of Norma and Normans' relationship which I find magnetic.  

Depending how season 5 play out, which is the final and connects to the original movie plot, I think this series could be great fodder for a fan edit.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxVGfRBaD4[/video]

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-s-Vb76v8[/video]

Anyone watching the OA? I'm seven episodes in and I like it but don't love it. It's in the same boat as Orphan Black for me: intriguing and well acted and well made, but somehow doesn't make me feel like I can't wait to start the next episode.

I love Orphan Black but found the OA to be boring, pretentious, and bloated/directionless.

bionicbob said:
BATES MOTEL

Does anyone watch this?  I always seem to miss it when it airs on A&E and then later do a quick binge when Netflix grabs it.

My wife and I just watched season four and as with the end of every season I remark how unrelated Norman and Mothers' arc is from the rest of the show.  The majority of the plots involving Dylan, Emma and the Sheriff only affect Norman on the most superficial levels.   Most of it feels like story filler compared the meat of the show of Norma and Normans' relationship which I find magnetic.  

Depending how season 5 play out, which is the final and connects to the original movie plot, I think this series could be great fodder for a fan edit.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxVGfRBaD4[/video]

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-s-Vb76v8[/video]

Of course we'd find another show in common!  LOVE this show, though you are right about there being a lot of filler stuff with the Norma/Norman relationship mostly in the background.  The wife and I wait until the season is over and obsessively binge-watch in a weekend.  This being the last season we may have to watch in real time.  

A fan edit would be interesting to see.

Just to drop it in here because I rarely ever hear about it, but Fleabag on Amazon is probably the best show I saw last year. Emotional, hilarious, sad, and raw.

Today marks the 20th anniversary (March 10, 1997) of the premiere of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER tv series!!!!!

TWENTY YEARS!!!!   Great Krypton, how time flies!

A brilliant series (along with it's even better spin-off ANGEL) that still stands up today with it angst, allegory and action.   While I love this series, I sometimes think it cursed future television creations.   For one thing tv has always loved to do and continue to do, even in this new "golden age of scripted drama", is replicate what has worked in the past.

I call this curse "The Whedon Story Playbook".

At it's essence each tv season is designed as one long over arching, building serial climaxing in the defeat of the "BIG BAD" in the final episode of the season.  Though some shows still use the tired cliche of the season cliffhanger to resolve the Big Bad plot in the next season opener.

And while Whedon may not have created this tv telling formula, he did fine tune it to such a successful point that almost every genre or drama uses Whedon's Playbook.

And I am sooooooooo tired of it.  :dodgy:

Some shows use the Playbook better than others.  But lets face it, most tv show runners are not as brilliant as Whedon and just can not pull it off.   Even my beloved ARROWVERSE shows use the Whedon Playbook ad nauseam.   It adds a layer of predictability to the storytelling that I think can  and does hurt the narrative.   I am not saying I want tv to go back to 80s episodic nature, but why does every season need to be treated as ONE CONNECTED EPIC?   Why not be more creative, and break the season into a series of arcs or mini-movies.  Instead of being so focussed on stretching out a mystery or threat, why not focus on the characters with tighter, more intense story lines?  

That's my tv rant for today. :p

Don't get me started on The Straczynski Five Year Plan Playbook.... LOL

Anyway, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BUFFY!!!  :D
buffy-1.jpg

bionicbob said:
I call this curse "The Whedon Story Playbook".

At it's essence each tv season is designed as one long over arching, building serial climaxing in the defeat of the "BIG BAD" in the final episode of the season.  Though some shows still use the tired cliche of the season cliffhanger to resolve the Big Bad plot in the next season opener.

And I am sooooooooo tired of it.  :dodgy: 
Buffy still remains in my top 3 shows, maybe even number 1 for rewatchability (I wish that was a word). Happy birthday Buffy!

Agreed that the season long big bad trope has gotten stale, but still preferable to a cliff hanger that never gets resolved because of cancellation. :)

Back
Top Bottom