• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random TV Show Thoughts

Nice list Neg. I think tv shows have really come into their own in the past decade, so probably not a bad thing that you don't have too many oldies. For me, the shows that have most impressed are:

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Homeland
M.A.S.H
The West Wing
House of Cards
Dexter (first couple of seasons)
24 (first couple of seasons)
The Wire
Boardwalk Empire
South Park
The Simpsons
Family Guy

And the winner is.... Breaking Bad

Louie is great too. It's simultaneously depressing and uproariously funny.

And the two kids he has seem extremely natural; unlike 99% of all kid actors they're able to make me believe what they're saying is actually spontaneous, and not the product of some overbearing parent shoving words into their mouths.

Radzinsky said:
Louie is great too. It's simultaneously depressing and uproariously funny.

Damn, totally forgot to include that. Curses.

In no particular order, twelve shows I greatly enjoy I feel broke the mold:

Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Lost
Fringe
Twin Peaks
X-Files
House of Cards
The Walking Dead
Dark Places
Spaced
American Horror Story
Black Mirror

My top ten, alphabetical:

- Arrested Development
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Game of Thrones
- Lost
- Louie
- The Office (US)
- Seinfeld
- Star Trek (TOS)
- The Twilight Zone
- The Wire

Honorable mentions go to 24 and The Walking Dead, which both started great and had some great stuff after the first season, but for too much were mostly just popcorn entertainment. Jury's still out on TWD because it's not over, and I guess 24 too because it's coming back next year. (I would also like to note that The Office has definitely had some less than great episodes, but I always found it funny and I love the characters and the best episodes too much.)

Also, House of Cards had a great start this year, and could definitely go places.

One more: Monty Python's Flying Circus. I haven't seen too many episodes, but what I have is golden.

Since we're making lists.

My favourite Episodic TV so far, In no particular order

Thrones
TWD
Breaking Bad
House of Cards (original)
Edge of Darkness
The Lakes
Nip/Tuck
Boys from the Blackstuff
Red Dwarf
I, Claudius
Riget I & II (Kingdom Hospital)
South Park
Blackadder II
This Life
Cracker
Farscape

IMO Every single one of them broke new ground and I still enjoy watching them all.

nOmArch said:
Riget I & II (Kingdom Hospital)

Damn. Forgot that one, though I don't think the sequel (series 2?) is as good.

Being an old fart and loving tv for more than 4 decades now, he is my top faves by decade... LOL!

1970s:
The Six Million Dollar Man
Battlestar Galactica
The Muppet Show
WKRP in Cincinati
Mission Impossible
Hawaii Five-O
Happy Days
Star Trek TOS (ok so it is a 1960s show, but I discovered it in the 70s)
Little House on the Prairie
Kung Fu

1980s:
Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
Crime Story
Greatest American Hero
The Incredible Hulk
The Wonder Years
Magnum PI
Stingray
21 Jump Street
Airwolf
Wiseguy
Street Hawk
Tales of the Gold Monkey
Spenser for Hire

1990s:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Babylon 5
Lois and Clark
X-Files
ER
Seinfeld
Space Above and Beyond
Doctor Who (yeah came late to the dance, discovered this mostly during late high school and college)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Homicide Life on the Street
La Femme Nikita

2000s:
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Heroes
30 Rock
The West Wing
The Office
Smallville
Firefly
Chuck
Farscape
Andromeda
Legend of the Seeker
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

And Current Faves:
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
The Killing
Once Upon a Time
Doctor Who
Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead

Q2 said:
Damn. Forgot that one, though I don't think the sequel (series 2?) is as good.

I dunno, I think they're both amazing, the Seance scene in part 2 alone is worth the admission for me.

The Stephen King remake is also pretty damn good.

Ooh, some heroic soul has uploaded all three I Love the 80s shows to youtube! Shame about the low quality, but seeing as these suckers will probably never be released on DVD, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :-D

Gaith said:
Ooh, some heroic soul has uploaded all three I Love the 80s shows to youtube! Shame about the low quality, but seeing as these suckers will probably never be released on DVD, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :-D

Check MySpleen. ;)

I finished The Sopranos a few days ago and can't stop thinking about it. Oh, Marone, what a fantastic show. One of the best I've ever seen and an instant favorite of mine. If you haven't seen it yet please do.

Yep, already read the article that that is sourced from. Very cool this comes out days after I've finished the series. The thing is though,
Tony dead or not, first of all I think Chase's answer is bullshit (and I'm glad he responded to the piece saying so, more or less) but the thing is whether he's a live or dead isn't exactly the point and there's a lot more that that entails and a lot more that's interesting about the ending and the series than the question of Tony's beating heart.

matrix_revolutions_zpsbe005867.jpg

SO, the final half-season of Glee premieres tonight, but the fifth-season dvds just came out this Monday, so even though I Netflixed the first available copies, I won't be watching S6 in real time because it'll take me a while to catch up. Thanks for not releasing the S5 dvd back in the fall, Fox. :p

Well, this looks fairly horrific:

I can't wait for the ep where he discovers his dad has been boning the robo-maid... :oops:

Legendary AV Club awfulness expert Nathan Rabin finally takes on the infamous one-season flop Cop Rock... and the results are utterly gripping and hilarious:

1200.jpg

Baby-selling case file #41: Cop Rock

I mean, just get a load of this baby-selling cat! The man knows his business! And feel oh-so-sorry for the poor actors, no doubt strangers, who have to react for three whole minutes to his song, walking that fine line between disgusted/ashamed and hopeful!

Gaith said:
Legendary AV Club awfulness expert Nathan Rabin

They don't make legendary like they used to.

Various shows I've watched over the last few months...

"Archer" - Season 1 was wonderful. OMG why has it taken me this long to watch this? Grade: A

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" - Watched Season 1, loved it. A-

"At Midnight" - Wonderful comedian game show. A-

"Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist" - I have a love/hate relationship with this show. B

"The Eric Andre Show" - What a weird and uncomfortably funny late night mockery. B

"Freddy's Nightmares" - Holy hell, now I understand why only the first 3 episodes were released on home media. F

"Friday the 13th" - I only watched the first 2 episodes, but yeah it's bad. D+

"Impractical Jokers" - I've watched all 92 episodes and specials of this wonderful prank show. A-

"Jon Benjamin Has a Van" - Short lived semi-sketch comedy show. The weirdness outranks the funny, but this was truly a unique show. And it's a shame he only got to make 10 episodes. B+

"See Your Pretty Face in Hell" - Season 1 was all kinds of stupid funny and just saw that Season 2 is going now. B+

"Spaceballs - The Animated Series" - What a waste. There's some great comedic moments, but this was a painful show. C+

"Squidbillies" - Only watched the first episode and I barely remember it. C-

"Star Wars: Droid Tales" - Episode 1 was brilliant. This is exactly what a PG-rated "Robot Chicken" would be like. A-

Back
Top Bottom