• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movie Club (Bi-Weekly) - #1 Okja

tried watching okja  the other night, but i was tired and fell asleep halfway through.

will give it another go this week. bong junho is one of my favorite directors; in addition to the other titles mentioned in this thread, i'd also recommend barking dogs never bite and his short "shaking tokyo" in the triptych tokyo! of these three shorts (one by michel gondry, another by some other dude), bong's was the most interesting.

and. . . sinbad, there's nothing wrong with being into older ladies.

gKZMaqcl.jpg

Barking Dogs Never Bite is on my to watch list, but it's not easy to get a hold of. I keep an eye out for it every now and again.

finally got around to it.

okja's like E.T. with f-bombs. i enjoyed the quieter moments; swinton's and gyllenhaal's hyperbombastic scenes weren't quite my cup of tea. still, it was an interesting watch, and there was some trademark BJH quirkiness, as in the postcredits scene.

if i had to rank bong's movies, this would be close to the bottom, but that's because his oeuvre's so damned interesting.

what this movie lacked was
michonne teaming up with glenn to slice some bacon.
walking-dead-michonne.jpg

I really enjoyed this movie as a Netflix release.  I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to see it in theaters if that was the route they went with it.  Definitely as others described, an E.T. film not for kids and with f-bombs.  The opening scene with Tilda Swinton felt like a Wes Anderson satire and I was totally into that.  Others mentioned not liking Gyllenhal’s character, but I found him to be very good as the scummy crocodile hunter-esque tv host.  

The only character that didn’t really seem to change or have an arc was the little girl.  She’s the same at the beginning as she was at the end, but with the addition of some physical and mental scars from her journey.  I was happy with the happy/not so happy ending and was glad that Okja made it out with a friend.  The pig farm scene though, damn that was heart-wrenching and I found myself getting a bit choked up when the pig parents got their youngling out. 

8.5/10 for me

musiced921 said:
The opening scene with Tilda Swinton felt like a Wes Anderson satire and I wasn’t totally into that.

Maybe this scene is part of why I didn't like the movie, but because I did like the Wes Anderson feel of this scene and was expecting it to continue on longer.

Just a thought, but would it be worth having a separate thread for future movies that are watched and keeping this one solely for discussion relating to the functioning of the club/what movies/themes might be considered for the future? 

Just thinking things could get quite cluttered farther down the line. It also gives peeps the option of revisiting a film discussion without steering the current flow of conversation off topic.

good idea, scribbling man.

and. . . it occurred to me afterwards that tilda has the appropriate last name for this movie.

:D

asterixsmeagol said:
musiced921 said:
The opening scene with Tilda Swinton felt like a Wes Anderson satire and I wasn’t totally into that.

Maybe this scene is part of why I didn't like the movie, but because I did like the Wes Anderson feel of this scene and was expecting it to continue on longer.

That was an error from my auto correct on my phone.  I DID enjoy the opening as it played like something from Wes Anderson. Sorry about that!

The Scribbling Man said:
Just a thought, but would it be worth having a separate thread for future movies that are watched and keeping this one solely for discussion relating to the functioning of the club/what movies/themes might be considered for the future? 

Just thinking things could get quite cluttered farther down the line. It also gives peeps the option of revisiting a film discussion without steering the current flow of conversation off topic.

That is a great idea.  So should I create a thread for each movie and then use this thread for general discussions pertaining to the club only?

musiced921 said:
That is a great idea.  So should I create a thread for each movie and then use this thread for general discussions pertaining to the club only?

Sounds good  :)

Suggested future theme/s:

A film and it's Fanfix?
A film and a Fanmix?

(or both?)

The Scribbling Man said:
Suggested future theme/s:

A film and it's Fanfix?
A film and a Fanmix?

(or both?)

I personally wanted to stay away from fan edit viewings only because I’m trying to broaden my own horizons on the countless movies out there.

Hey I just now saw that you updated the OP a while ago to list out the future viewings. Cool!

I have some suggestions for August (an original and a remake)...

3:10 to Yuma (1957) & (2007) [goes with earlier Western theme]
Alfie (1966) & (2004)
Angels in the Outfield (1951) & (1994) [it is baseball season here in 'merica]
The Beguiled (1971) & (2017) 
Cape Fear (1962) & (1991)
The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941) & Shortcut to Happiness (2003) [the remake is directed by Alec Baldwin, his only directorial effort]
The Gambler (1974) & (2014)
Get Carter (1971) & (2000)
Invaders from Mars (1953) & (1986)
L.A. Takedown (1989) & Heat (1995) [A director remaking his earlier film]
La Femme Nikita (1990) & Point of No Return (1993)
Mighty Joe Young (1949) & (1998)
Nosferatu (1922) & (1979)
Sabrina (1954) & (1995)
We're No Angels (1955) & (1989)

Neglify said:

L.A. Takedown (1989) & Heat (1995) [A director remaking his earlier film]

I had no idea. Now I’m curious to see LA Takedown.

<insert "Do It" gif of your choice here>

I was leaning towards doing The Thing From Another World and The Thing

A great choice, Carpenter turned a simple B-movie into a timeless classic.

Back
Top Bottom