• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movie Club (Bi-Weekly) - #1 Okja

musiced921 said:
I decided for our first movie yadda yadda yadda

Sweet I've been meaning to think about wanting to possibly watch that one. Going to put it on my To-Do List.

Might I suggest that if you keep everything in this one thread you should change the thread title to reflect the current situation. Ex: "Movie Club (Bi-Week 1 - Okja)". Then edit the OP to add a link to the forum post where that movie's discussion starts.

Neglify said:
Might I suggest that if you keep everything in this one thread you should change the thread title to reflect the current situation. Ex: "Movie Club (Bi-Week 1 - Okja)". Then edit the OP to add a link to the forum post where that movie's discussion starts.

EXCELLENT suggestion!  Once I’m back on my computer and not on my phone, I’ll take care of that.

I watched Okja this afternoon. I've never hated an character as much as Jake Gyllenhaal's Johnny Wilcox.

I watched Okja this afternoon. I've never hated an character as much as Jake Gyllenhaal's Johnny Wilcox. Not because the character himself was awful (though he was), but because Gyllenhaal made some insane choices with the way he played him. I'm really sot sure what the point of the movie was. I guess by making one of the main characters an animal made for slaughter we're supposed to feel bad for eating meat or something? I mean, I already know that meat comes from animals so this wasn't really news.

One more thing: Be sure to watch all the way through the credits. There's an extra scene at the very end.

I’m halfway through it. I fell asleep the other night while watching. But I was taking notes and in my notes I have:

“I’m usually a big Gyllenhall fan but I’m not a fan of his portrayal here. It seems absurdist to me.“

Gonna watch it tonight, rave reviews so far. "Hated the main guy" and "fell asleep halfway through". My kind of flick, can't wait.

Neglify said:
Gonna watch it tonight, rave reviews so far. "Hated the main guy" and "fell asleep halfway through". My kind of flick, can't wait.

My “fell asleep” was because I started it very late at night. I may not get to finish it in time. It’s spring break for us so we’re on a family road trip. Next stop: the world’s second largest ball of twine!

You're lucky, I only got to see the fourth largest ball of twine.

Luckily Gyllenhaal is only in it for about 10 minutes. It's mostly the little girl who was surprisingly good for a child actor. I guess that should have been in my post too.

Fanedit.org Movie Club Movie #1 - Okja
Drug of choice - Ganja

This was beautiful and hilarious. I was a bit worried that it would get way too preachy about the abuse of animals in slaughterhouses (like in "Fast Food Nation") but it never went too far into "shame on you" territory. The only other Bong flick I've seen is "The Host" which I absolutely loved, so I guess I gotta go see "Snowpiercer" soon.

4/5

Neglify said:
The only other Bong flick I've seen is "The Host" which I absolutely loved, so I guess I gotta go see "Snowpiercer" soon.

Memories of Murder is definitely one to watch as well. It's his best, in my opinion. The ending is just fantastic.

I’m a bit puzzled as to how this is all working. We have our first film. Are we posting reviews, thoughts, reactions, etc. here? Is there a specified time for those posts, something to make it more of a discussion rather than just a collection of reviews?

My review/thoughts:

When films are described as "tonally all over the place" I usually think "Oh goody, that's a film for me!" because those sorts of movies are usually the most interesting. 'Okja' pronounced "ock-jar", "oak-juh", "oak-jar", or "oak-jai-ah" (depending on what character, or part of the movie you are on) has a live-action Studio Ghibli vibe but it's definitely not a kids film. The story also has echoes of E.T. but an E.T. where the BMX rescuers get viciously beaten with clubs by the authorities and there is a scene where we hear E.T. being raped. The girl at the center of the story (Okja's "Elliot") has no character beyond "I want Okja back" it's more about seeing how other characters help or hinder her in the quest. I'm not sure what the overall message was beyond Capitalism=Bad, although I found the subversion of the Cruella de Vil trope at the end to be interesting, when we see she isn't evil, just a sociopathic (and therefore theoretically reasonable) capitalist.

When I read that others didn't enjoy the Gyllenhaal character I was surprised, having only seen the first 25-minutes and his first scene. He looks a bit like Captain Spaulding and I acts exactly like a spoiled celebrity would, if he'd been forced to climb a massive mountain in the jungle... but wow, his later scenes are insane. It's like he's set himself a personal goal to overact more than anybody in the history of film. So it's kinda wonderful in it's own way, much like the film itself.

This being released on Netflix was a good idea, as it seems to have a lot of buzz about it. I imagine a strange partly Korean-language film would have sunk without trace with a traditional Cinema release.

I didn't release until afterwards that it's co-written by Journalist/writer Jon Ronson who is an interesting dude. He Directed the 'Stanley Kubrick's Boxes' documentary, co-wrote the script for Fassbender's 'Frank' (based very loosely on his time with the real life Frank) and wrote 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' book etc etc. Ronson talking at length about his career:

Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m a bit puzzled as to how this is all working. We have our first film. Are we posting reviews, thoughts, reactions, etc. here? Is there a specified time for those posts, something to make it more of a discussion rather than just a collection of reviews?

Post your thoughts and a review (and anything in spoiler tag if need be) and as time goes on more will join the discussion.  We have until April 6th until our next film.

TM2YC said:
I didn't release until afterwards that it's co-written by Journalist/writer Jon Ronson who is an interesting dude. He Directed the 'Stanley Kubrick's Boxes' documentary, co-wrote the script for Fassbender's 'Frank' (based very loosely on his time with the real life Frank).....

Oh wow thanks for pointing that out, both of those things are things I love.

TM2YC said:
My review/thoughts:

This being released on Netflix was a good idea, as it seems to have a lot of buzz about it. I imagine a strange partly Korean-language film would have sunk without trace with a traditional Cinema release.

I would have liked to have seen this on the big screen it easily makes my top ten of 2017. As you say it probably garnered more interest with its Netflix release than it would have done otherwise, the new Cloverfield movie is certainly proof of that too...

For me it was a very original spin on an E.T (ish) formula, and I felt it was taking a dig more at capitalism at any price more than being pro-vegan propaganda.  As for Jake Gyllenhall's performance it worked for me in the context of the film, I may have felt differently if he was front and centre for the entire film but given his fairly limited screen time I was fine with it.  Joon ho Bong is probably the most interesting director working today (another thumbs up for memories of murder here too) I need to check out his 'Mother' too (don't you dare SSJ ! :D)  Gonna give his other English language film Snowpiercer another shout out too for those who've not seen it and liked this, excellent stuff with Tilda Swinton playing a similar role to her's in Okja (I pronouce it ock-ya btw)

I liked Snowpiercer when I saw it, but it's one of those films that becomes more problematic the more you think about it. I watched it again last year and still enjoyed it, but both the concept and story are riddled with issues. Definitely worth watching though. 

One thing I would say is to be careful which copy you get. The film is in both Korean and English, but only certain copies include subtitles for the foreign language sections. This is a real pain since there's one moment in Korean towards the end that is pivotal. The copy I have is the Australian blu-ray, I think.

Sinbad said:
I felt it was taking a dig more at capitalism at any price more than being pro-vegan propaganda.

I'm sure it's not the latter, the girl is shown catching and eating fish and the uncle says her favourite meal is "Chicken Stew". Plus while the ALF are shown sympathetically, they are also shown to be very silly and several characters make clear how delicious the Super-Pigs are.

^Yes I've not rewatched it since it was initially on Netflix last year but at the time remember thinking it was anti-captialist whereas the wife took more of a 'meat is murder' view point.  I doubt it was the latter either as that would be far too alienating to most viewers

I finally finished this last night after returning from spring break. I ended up watching it in three sittings over two weeks so not the best way to view. I ended up just taking notes as I went and I’m just going to post those note in total. May be considered spoilerish, so tags. 

I thought immediately in the introduction that they were establishing an *other* cinematic universe, similar to, say, a Wes Anderson cinematic universe. Simple things like Swinton’s character using expletives in a press conference. It wasn’t simply fiction. 

The second thing I noted was that the CGI was so much better than I was expecting. Sure, there were spots where it was pretty bad, but the interaction between the CGI and the human characters worked surprisingly well. It wasn’t completely convincing but it also wasn’t obviously distracting. 

I’m usually a big Gyllenhall fan but I’m not a fan of his portrayal here. It seems absurdist to me. 

I loved the woman afraid she’d be killed but still smiles for a selfie with Okja running her down. 

It’s a nice little parable concerned with ideas that often oversimplify issues such as GMOs, animal cruelty, and environmentalism. If you accept that and go on a “free Okja” kind of ride, it kinda worked for me. 

I did appreciate that there wasn’t some change of heart moment for the Mirandos. The only thing that saved Okja was a better profit.  As someone who was an environmental studies major a long time ago, my views were unpopular among my peers. I believed that, while advocacy was important, that business was concerned with the bottom line. The focus needs to be on a level playing field, which almost always values environmentalism. 

It was a happy ending for Mija and Okja but I liked that they left it as a not-so-happy ending for countless other super pigs. 

Good flick. Would recommend. 

Back
Top Bottom