• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movie Club (Bi-Weekly) - #1 Okja

Updated the themes for the next 12 months!  SEE First Post!

musiced921 said:
Updated the themes for the next 12 months!  SEE First Post!

Looking good! In regards to the first theme, might I suggest possibly choosing films that go along with Garps "My Year With Hitch" schedule? I believe he has "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "The 39 Steps" penned in for April (I think they both qualify as spy films).

The Scribbling Man said:
Looking good! In regards to the first theme, might I suggest possibly choosing films that go along with Garps "My Year With Hitch" schedule? I believe he has "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "The 39 Steps" penned in for April (I think they both qualify as spy films).

If I stick to my schedule religiously (I'm batting 100% so far - week 12), I'll get to 'The Man who knew too much' the week beginning 4/16, and 'The 39 Steps' the week after. Would be cool if one or either of those were included, but I'll leave the final decision to the community.

Edit: LOVE the theme ideas, BTW!

You're in luck @"Garp"!  The 39 Steps is one of them!  

I am moments away from listing all of the movies to be viewed.  Check back on the first post.

musiced921 said:
September - X Marx the Spot (Classic Marx Brothers)

^ Interesting. I'd say for people new to the Marx filmography, 'A Day at the Races' is the most accessible.

I don’t know if you’re taking requests, but I’d love to have one if the Kurosawa films be Yojimbo and one of the Lynch films be Inland Empire.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I don’t know if you’re taking requests, but I’d love to have one if the Kurosawa films be Yojimbo and one of the Lynch films be Inland Empire.

Both good requests!  Unfortunately, as I was wracking my brain making the list, I tried to narrow things down to what I was most itching to view.

Once next year hits, I do have a big plan for the club if it works out well and there is interest from the community.

Ideas for remakes (admittedly, from my own collection, mostly...)

The Blob
Cat People
One Million BC/One Million Years BC
Clash of the Titans
Death Wish
The Fly
Ghost in the Shell
Ghostbusters
Magnificent 7
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Ocean's 11
The Big Sleep
Poltergeist
Psycho
Pusher
Gone in 60 seconds
Manhunter/Red Dragon
King Kong (3 versions!)
Last Man on Earth/Omega Man/I am Legend/I am Omega (4 versions!)
Robocop
Superman II (Lester/Donner - OK, a stretch)
The Time Machine
The Wicker Man

Surprisingly @Garp, the two potentials I am between are not on your list!  If I wasn't already doing a Hitchcock month, I'd have done the two Man Who Knew Too Much films, but I've seen the first one anyway (next time the wife and I sit down for Hitch the remake is my next choice).

I'm considering The Thing from Another World* and The Thing OR Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 vs. 1978

I haven't seen any of those, so I am going in very fresh.  I have time to really decide though.

EDIT: Thanks @"The Scribbling Man"

Interesting list of themes and film choices! For the remake, I think the 50s and 80s Thing could be a good pairing. Ditto the 50s and 80s Fly films. Or, keeping with the horror vibe, [REC] and Quarantine or Let The Right One In and Let Me In.

What's the one-off for Saturday going to be, or have you not chosen it yet?

Also, if you want to attract a few more eyeballs, you could do worse than sticking a link to this thread in your sig :)

musiced921 said:
Surprisingly @Garp, the two potentials I am between are not on your list!  If I wasn't already doing a Hitchcock month, I'd have done the two Man Who Knew Too Much films, but I've seen the first one anyway (next time the wife and I sit down for Hitch the remake is my next choice).

I'm considering The Thing from Beyond and The Thing OR Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 vs. 1978

I haven't seen any of those, so I am going in very fresh.  I have time to really decide though.
I vote for the Thing.

musiced921 said:
I'm considering The Thing from Beyond and The Thing OR Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 vs. 1978

Good choices! 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a classic, and I remember seeing the 1978 version with my older brothers as a kid and crapping myself! (Not literally. At least, I don't think so...)

I'd be happy with both "The Things" or "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers". All good films. The John Carpenter "The Thing" is one of my favourites.

Edit: did you mean "The Thing From Another World"?

I decided for our first movie without a theme that I'd go with a Netflix original.  I really went back and forth and dug around for ideas, but once I came down to just starting with a Netflix original, it was between two completely different movies.  Anyway, without further ado, our first movie for movie club is.............

MV5BMjQxMTcxNDgxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTczNTIzMjI@._V1_.jpg

SYNOPSIS: For 10 idyllic years, young Mija has been caretaker and constant companion to Okja - a massive animal and an even bigger friend - at her home in the mountains of South Korea. But that changes when family-owned, multinational conglomerate Mirando Corporation takes Okja for themselves and transports her to New York, where an image-obsessed and self-promoting CEO has big plans for Mija's dearest friend. With no particular plan but single-minded in intent, Mija sets out on a rescue mission. (WIKIPEDIA)

This Film Should Pair Nicely With...

Beer: Since the film focuses on a girl in South Korea, research shows that Korean beer consumers prefer lagers over ales and wheats, so grab your favorite lager and enjoy!

Wine: Focusing on the main character being from South Korea, if you can get your hands on a rice wine, that would be preferable.  If not, since the story begins with a sweet relationship between Mija and Okja, I'd suggest a sweeter to lightly sweet wine.  Korean plum wine if you can get your hands on it!

Cocktail: Sparkling Ginger Cocktail, because my research and ignorance can only go so far!

Anyone interested in viewing has 2 weeks March 23-April 06.  In that time, please feel free to comment your thoughts and reviews.  Since we are discussing the film, I'd say keep any MAJOR plot points in spoiler tags for now.  We can always annul that later.

Great pick. This has been sitting in my Netflix list and I've needed a kick to get around to watching it.

I watched this last year on a smartphone screen, on a plane, on the way back from the Czech Republic, sharing earphones with my brother - which is obviously not the ideal viewing method :p

I enjoyed it, but I had some issues. It's not humungously original, but it's worth watching. The director has done some great films, namely "Host" and "Memories of Murder".

I loved Okja one of last years best films for my money and deserved a cinematic release, good excuse for a rewatch though.

Good pick for me as I was already 25-minutes into watching 'Okja' but hadn't got round to watching the rest. The opening on Tilda Swinton's crazed Corporate presentation is quite the thing to see.

The Scribbling Man said:
The director has done some great films, namely "Host" and "Memories of Murder".

Snowpiercer was excellent too, inexplicably never released in any way shape or form here in the UK. Had to resort to an import to get my hands on it.

Back
Top Bottom