• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: Remastered - An Agent 9 FanEdit

All your shots are a massive improvement over the original (The supes in handcuffs corridor shot is outstanding) but I also do think all your shots look slightly too pink.

Adding back a tiny, tiny amount of green across the whole project would make all the difference IMO. I know dialing back the sickly-green is a primary goal of any re-grade of this movie but real things do naturally have some green in them... even skin.

After going through everything, I now see how some scene's have a little bit too much pink in them. They read ok on the charts but just by eye, ya.. My eye's got so adjusted to it, I didn't even realize it. And this is why we share stuff - good looking out guys!!

Going back through and adjusting stuff. :)

revel911 said:
I do agree that the pics do look a tad too pink.

I'm sorry...

https://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9_C90lTfA[/video]

Originally I wanted to have two Versions of the Film for everyone, but the House of El Edition is still in need of work - mostly sound design. But I will not have time to get to it and finish it up, by the time I release the MOS Remastered Edition. I just picked up a few gigs and I'll have a lot more work to do so I just wont have time to finish it. So, sorry to say that I will not be releasing that version.

Sorry..

I also updated the 1st post to reflect theses updates.

-A9

Kal-El said:
Ollie you do realize that video is fake right? The colour correction is way off, and that company also tampered with the original footage to make their 'correction' come out better.
Hey Kal I thought I replied to your post weeks ago but it doesn't seem to be here.

Your right about the video being a joke and I now see that's acknowledged in the youtube videos description.

Hey A9 just watched the latest clip. Simply awesome! Really digging your use of the Williams score.

Ollie W said:
Hey A9 just watched the latest clip. Simply awesome! Really digging your use of the Williams score.

Thank you very much.... Appreciate it.

Here are the newest Color & Music Comparison Clips for you to enjoy as you wait for release. Which is very soon btw. :)

-A9

^ Almost, almost there. The pink issue is totally gone and so is the original sickly green, kudos. Really looking forward to this project after viewing that! :)

But there is an issue with the shadows. In all the shots in the video, shadows are reduced, or totally gone, leading to the image looking "Flat" and televisual. This is really noticeable on the faces like with Lois and Supes at around 02.29. Whatever anybody says about Snyder's choice of colour grading in post-production, he knows how to shoot great contrasty filmic footage during production. Look at the deep shadows cast on Superman's face by the sun coming in from the left and how they are nearly gone in your regrade.

Also in some shots the blacks have gone over to bright blues. Here is a comparison to show what I mean (Granted some of this may be down to YouTube compression)...

21569039962_48f2b2ee3d_o.jpg

First off, I'm gonna say most of the contrast in MOS: Remastered is a bit flat looking on Youtube, so I put up some shots below to show the difference in a Higher Quality.
MOS%20Compare_zpsop0l0ujj.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
MOS%20Compare%202_zps5imax0zn.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
MOS%20Compare%201_zpszpoldur7.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Also if you really look at that scene where lois and Supes are standing outside - the lightning continuity is also off. Her shadow's fall on her left side, while Supes falls on his left as well. Which way is the sun then, if they're shadows are on opposites sides??

The Contract ratio you speak of used in this picture is a bit too much in my opinion. Its like a 6:1 when it should of been a 3:1 for a Superman film. This film has a very dark look, that Nolan wanted to try to match to the Dark Knight Films. This was a chose handed to Snyder by Nolan and Amir, as was the Post coloring of green overtones (Post Coloring is usually never up to the Director, its usually left up to the DP, the producer and the Studio.) So by saying this was Snyder's chose is inacurite. I can agree that Snyder usually shoots with a good contrast, but he also usually works with Long and its usually never this dramatic. But this time for MOS he had to work with the producers and the studios DP, not his usual, which in turn changed the look of the film - Hence now, if you look at Batman vs Superman, Snyder went back to shooting with Long. That overly green look didn't quite return in the BvS, and you'll also notice the contrast ratio in BvS isn't as dark.
Once Snyder made the movie for the Studio and it was successful, he was then handed a bit more control of the this film (BvS) - Which in return allowed him to grab Long as his DP again and go for a more 4:1 contrast instead of the 6:1 Man of steel looks like it was shot in. Even though MOS wasn't shot at a 6:1 - the Green's added so much darkness to the film when you lift them out, you lose some of your contrast, which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing, I like the look I've created - it's opinion based and that's what I was going for - more of the BvS Style.

I still don't understand why they chose this grade for the MOS film. it was too much in my opinion, but BvS as long as it stays this way, looks much better Color wise.

bs%20vs%20mos%20contrast%203_zpsj6labddz.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
bs%20vs%20mos%20contrast%202_zpsyo6ex1z4.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
bs%20vs%20mos%20contrast%201_zpstfdjjilt.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

^ All those opinions are fine but what about the comparison I posted...

...where the shadows are light-blue, instead of black? (They are barely different in your new uncompressed screengrab). That's not a matter of opinion or taste, it's just wrong. I'm just trying to help this project be the best it can be :).

As for the "flat" shadows I mentioned... they do look much better in your new uncompressed screengrabs. I think you've brightened them to the very brink where it still looks great but the further YouTube compression just tipped it over in dull flatness. e.g. In your 2nd screenshot from YouTube...

MOS%20Compare_zpsop0l0ujj.jpg

...Lois' face has less detail (and naturally therefore less emotion) but it's all there in the middle uncompressed image, it's just nicely subtle :).

Music replacement is great! Color pretty good too for the most part but I somewhat agree with TM2YC on contrast levels. Some shots do look a little flat and washed out, and while I imagine YT compression has something to do with it, I'd just say be careful.
Agent9 said:
The Contract ratio you speak of used in this picture is a bit too much in my opinion. Its like a 6:1 when it should of been a 3:1 for a Superman film. This film has a very dark look, that Nolan wanted to try to match to the Dark Knight Films. This was a chose handed to Snyder by Nolan and Amir, as was the Post coloring of green overtones (Post Coloring is usually never up to the Director, its usually left up to the DP, the producer and the Studio.) So by saying this was Snyder's chose is inacurite. I can agree that Snyder usually shoots with a good contrast, but he also usually works with Long and its usually never this dramatic. But this time for MOS he had to work with the producers and the studios DP, not his usual, which in turn changed the look of the film - Hence now, if you look at Batman vs Superman, Snyder went back to shooting with Long. That overly green look didn't quite return in the BvS, and you'll also notice the contrast ratio in BvS isn't as dark.
Once Snyder made the movie for the Studio and it was successful, he was then handed a bit more control of the this film (BvS) - Which in return allowed him to grab Long as his DP again and go for a more 4:1 contrast instead of the 6:1 Man of steel looks like it was shot in. Even though MOS wasn't shot at a 6:1 - the Green's added so much darkness to the film when you lift them out, you lose some of your contrast, which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing, I like the look I've created - it's opinion based and that's what I was going for - more of the BvS Style.
This is interesting, where did you hear this from or is it speculation? Snyder is certainly a fan of heightened colors so the desaturated look of MOS did feel off and I wonder if it was a studio imposed thing. But he's also a pretty big fan of high contrast. One look at 300 will tell you that.

Also, maybe the MOS color graders were trying to go for a Dark Knight look but the coloring in MOS looks NOTHING like anything in the Dark Knight trilogy.

I agree with TM2YC and DominicCobb. The music sounds great and the colors look great, but there are parts here and there that look a bit flat and/or washed out (especially the Superman/Zod fight in Metropolis).

DominicCobb said:
This is interesting, where did you hear this from or is it speculation? Snyder is certainly a fan of heightened colors so the desaturated look of MOS did feel off and I wonder if it was a studio imposed thing. But he's also a pretty big fan of high contrast. One look at 300 will tell you that.

I work with guys like this for a living. I know guys who know and who work with these guys and that's how the Studio system works. Even big names like Snyder, Nolan, Spielberg, Scorsese have done movies for the Studio and/or a Producer in the agreement, they get to do one of their own, or have more control the next time - If its successful. that's just how it works.

The Green in MOS was added in hopes that it would make the Movie darker in tone and feel like the Dark Knight Series - not necessarily to look exactly like it - that was the idea anyway.

TM2YC said:
^ All those opinions are fine but what about the comparison I posted...

...where the shadows are light-blue, instead of black? (They are barely different in your new uncompressed screengrab). That's not a matter of opinion or taste, it's just wrong. I'm just trying to help this project be the best it can be :).

As for the "flat" shadows I mentioned... they do look much better in your new uncompressed screengrabs. I think you've brightened them to the very brink where it still looks great but the further YouTube compression just tipped it over in dull flatness. e.g. In your 2nd screenshot from YouTube....

ok so, funny thing... In trying to get rid of and fix a few things, I forgot to turn off/ delete a layer, that I was fixing.. so I didn't even see the blue cause it was just there.. What a dumbass and man Am I blind.. anyways... I turned that layer off.. better?

mossupes_zps0e0t5bxr.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

^ Much better :). Glad the problem was something simple. So was this layer thing just that one shot or the whole project?

TM2YC said:
^ Much better :). Glad the problem was something simple. So was this layer thing just that one shot or the whole project?

It was an old correction layer for this scene, but I had fixed it, and for some reason I turned that layer back on - by accident or something... No idea why it was on.. so I just deleted it..

Done!! Links will go up soon.

Render Info:

General
Complete name : E:\MOS Remastered - A9FE - 1080p.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 5.14 GiB
Duration : 1h 49mn
Overall bit rate : 6 752 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2015-09-26 01:06:58
Tagged date : UTC 2015-09-26 01:19:47