• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel: Ideal of Hope Edition

Fantastic work there, your vision is steadily coming together cohesively.

Coming along nicely!
A few nitpicks - she says "what happened in the desert" - doesn't tie in.
The VO over superman and his mom makes it seem like his mom is speaking!
The musical transition from Supes watching TV to the wall of anger is a bit off.
But really good work integrating all the footage! Wow!

Thanks a lot to all of you.  You gave me some really great ideas. I think this fan edit is going to be amazing.

Here I show you the transition to the Africa scene.  As I said, Clark goes back home after learning about his past and all of that.  Lois asking Martha about Clark was ommited, as you can see here.  Now, in Africa there were some really minor cuts, mostly to avoid their knowledge about Superman coming. For example, that look of "everything is going as planned" on KG Beast when he sees Superman is arriving  Remember this is his first appearence as Superman to the world, so there is no way they could know he was going to Africa.  However, for the next fan edit, I'm planning to use the lead bullet investigation to tie it to Lex Luthor without using the pretext he was preparing a trap for Superman. The idea is that Luthor prepares the explosion after the appearence of Superman to the world.

After Africa, we go to the montage of Superman doing heroic stuff.  Two changes were made here.  First, I cut the line of Senator Finch were she says she's making Supes responsible.  If this is his first appearence, then it would not make too much sense, because she says it as she knows from some time ago of what he's capable of. The idea is that Senator Finch has a look of uncertainty about such extraordinary moment.  Second, when Woodburn is talking, I replaced Supes's with the symbol of "S".  Looks nice, huh?

Great samples, seauging from the flyby to seeing Martha works the best for me, goes from one optimistic high to the next just before the drastic thud the desert intervention causes.

Well done!

No complaints on the Africa transition, but in regards to the montage maybe try looking for a spray painted Superman logo on a wall somewhere instead of just the logo? Would show that Superman is becoming a sort of legendary figure even in the streets or something.

dangermouse said:
A few nitpicks - she says "what happened in the desert" - doesn't tie in.
The musical transition from Supes watching TV to the wall of anger is a bit off.

As Addiesin, I too noticed this.  Forgot to mention them.  Try to fade the music that leads into the wall of anger sequence a bit more.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]dangermouse Wrote: https://forums.fanedit.org/post-280730.html#pid280730A few nitpicks - she says "what happened in the desert" - doesn't tie in.
The musical transition from Supes watching TV to the wall of anger is a bit off.[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]As Addiesin, I too noticed this.  Forgot to mention them.  Try to fade the music that leads into the wall of anger sequence a bit more.[/font]

The problem is that the audio channels from the real last scene to the wall of anger have bits of the black lady talking about Superman on tv.  Believe me, it's the best I could do for the audio transition, sorry :(

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]A few nitpicks - she says "what happened in the desert" - doesn't tie in.[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]The VO over superman and his mom makes it seem like his mom is speaking! [/font]

Both are things I thought when I uploaded the clips.  Don't worry, the right solutions to these issues are being executed.

Shaggy-wasn't-me.jpg

It was dangermouse.

Let's get the thread back on track and stop talking about who said what. Getting pretty off-topic at this point. Sorry sam.

Going back to the beginning, here I show you another take on the Tornado scene.  When I was working on the Kryptonian Cut, now known as The Ultimate Kryptonian cut in 2013, I had the idea of showing Clark's intention of saving Jonathan from the Tornado, but in the end he hesitated and was too late.  It was something It would have made more sense and have more impact than that BS of Jonathan refusing to be saved to protect Clark's secret (the intention is interesting, but it could have worked with a better situation).  

The thing is that my initial idea was something I wanted to stick with, but it was poorly executed until now, so the scene was edited in a different direction based on @"TM2YC" 's wonderful and enlightning work of his Man of Steel fan edit.  I believe it works way better now.  Also, remember that we experience Clark's childhood and manhood in chronological order, while we watch Krypton's destruction simultaneously, which it's shown a the start and at the end of this video.

I like it.  I am still not convinced about the scene, keeping in mind, though, it does feel much more organic to the film now than before.  

How come you decided to maintain the shot of Jor-El suiting up in his armor?  Am I the only one to find that shot ridiculous?

Canon Editor said:
I like it.  I am still not convinced about the scene, keeping in mind, though, it does feel much more organic to the film now than before.  

How come you decided to maintain the shot of Jor-El suiting up in his armor?  Am I the only one to find that shot ridiculous?

Well, I just think it's an awesome shot xD.  And a good way to transition to the next scene.  Like preparing for the danger that is coming.

Now here are other 9 minutes of the fan edit, in which Clark has decided hide from humanity and people is very angry at him.  For the scene where Zod delivers the message, I cut that part where Clark is watching football with a beer.  It would look very weird that he is way too relaxed after having failed humanity and feel disappointed.  

During Zod's speech, I ommited all the parts where he says Clark has tried keep his existence from the world a secret and despite looking like a human, he isn't.  First, by this point, Superman is very well known, so it's contradictory that he wants to keep his existence a secret.  Second, people know that Superman is an alien that looks like a human (this part is important for the continuity of the next fan edit), so this line is not necessary.  I added a reverb sound effect to the part where Zod says "Or watch this world suffer the consequences", since we go to the scene where Clark goes to exhile. 

I like what you did with Jonathan's death scene, although I'm not sure cutting to the Krypton scenes is the best idea. It seems kind of abrupt.

Zod's arrival scene is really good, although maybe an establishing shot of Clark doing something before the message is transmitted would help it flow a little better in my opinion.

I like how the Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman scenes are integrated together. It feels very natural.

Use of BVS footage works well here, I'm not too sure I agree creatively with Clark just bunging off into exile after the planet is dealt a costly ultimatium, but it fits the mood and themes of the edit so far, and it does have a great pay-off with Clark ultmately heading off to the base to rendevouz with Lois. Sometimes it pays to play with the audience like that, make them go "aw, he'd never do that" and then give them an "Oh yeah, that's more like it" moment, so good job.

samspider3 said:
Canon Editor said:

Well, I just think it's an awesome shot xD.  And a good way to transition to the next scene.  Like preparing for the danger that is coming.

That seems fair :D.  It does transition nicely.  I too do feel that transitioning from the Tornado scene back to the Krypton scenes might feel too abrupt. 

The 9 minute clip is awesome.  Oh, am I pumped for this edit.  *Feedback on the first 28 minutes coming*

i like that test clip with Clark hesitating to save Jon.  
i think it's a lot more powerful than Jon signaling to him to hold back.
Clark already listened to his father by getting his mother to safty.
now he is even more dedicated to protecting his mother (which plays well in Bats vs Supes) but now with his little hesitation there he's got the added guilt of his non-action which prompts him to take action even more.
nice work with that, such a small change has such a bigger impact.  the studio should have filmed it better.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Zod's arrival scene is really good, although maybe an establishing shot of Clark doing something before the message is transmitted would help it flow a little better in my opinion.[/font]

I was thinking about doing the same.  The problem is that Batman v Superman doesn't have any more footage of Clark doing something more that I could use, like him being deppressed or watching the news disappointed.  It could have been amazing, tho.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]  I too do feel that transitioning from the Tornado scene back to the Krypton scenes might feel too abrupt. [/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]The 9 minute clip is awesome.  Oh, am I pumped for this edit.  *Feedback on the first 28 minutes coming*[/font]

I'll see what I can do to make the transition more smooth.  I received your PM, thanks a lot for taking your time on watching it.  Taking notes about your wise suggestions :D

Now, for the second half of the film, the changes I'm gonna make are gonna be much more subtle.  With the Kryptonian Cut I wanted to trim action sequences to show them less destructive, but in the end, no matter what I did, they still look very chaotic.  However, this time I want to let the scenes be as they are.  In retrospective, Superman always destroys something when fighting in animated features, and much of the destruction in MOS is mostly made by the military or the Kryptonians.  By setting up all the scenes from Batman v Superman, I think it's justifiable some of the collateral damage.  Besides, this is one important point on the next sequel.

The subtle changes are gonna be cuts like taking out lines where Lois calls Clark by his name, since she never investigated his past.  I wanted to put that part of the film in this fan edit after Superman hides from the Capitol, but in the end I feel less is more.  This means I will cut that moment where Pete Ross, the redhead Clark saved when he was a child, looks at Superman in the battle of Smallville with an expression of "hey, is that... Clark?".  Other cuts include lines where the military refer to Superman as a stranger, because it's supposed he is a very well stablished character by this point.

Nice, very nice.  I like how you continuosuly update us.  Thank you!  I am happy you received the PM and found the suggestions intelligent, at least, haha!  

About the destructive scenes during the battle of Smallville and Metropolis, I too feel they do enrich the sequel, but sometimes it just becomes too much. Toning some of them down would definitely not be a fault.  Furthermore, what about that metallic snake thing going out at Superman from the World Engine?  I NEVER understood why that is in the film.  It isn’t explained, it doesn’t add almost anything to the action, it is even distracting (to me at least) and it just protects the machine because…?  Is it a sort of defense mechanism which lashes out on nearby objects.  I always felt like that was a low point for the film.  Do you have any ideas, Sam?

Back
Top Bottom