• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: Ideal of Hope Edition

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Why does Wallace have the bomb? The obvious implication is that Lex is somehow behind this, but he doesn't appear in this edit (I assume) and Wallace is barely set up here. I know you intend to investigate this in the next fanedit, but it just feels like a loose end in the main plot.[/font]

Let me explain: Because Keefe's cause to lose his legs was the battle of Metropolis, I'm cutting all the details that reference that event in this fan edit.  The idea is that Keefe lies about losing his legs because of Superman to have the perfect sad excuse to go to the Capitol in a Suicide (squad) mission to kill Superman, but failing. Ommiting the right details, It would look like that. 

In the next fan edit, It would be revealed that Keefe was some bum Luthor took out from prison and bribed him with a new wheelchair to talk against Superman, unknowing he was gonna die and that it was Luthor's response to Senator Finch for blocking the license to get the Kryptonite. The details about where the Kryptonite came from are ommited so I can make this sub plot fit in the chronology of Man of Steel. Maybe I can cut Keefe's excuse to go to the Capitol and just make him seem like he'll be in the meeting just to testify against Superman, and leave the excuse for the next fan edit. His position on Superman is negative and that is heard in my version of Keefe's interview with Soledad O'Brien.  Or maybe ommit the explanation on both fan edits.  What do you think?

However, I admit it might look a little bit choppy.  I still have to work on it, but it's probably the best I can do to set up the Capitol explosion.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Great work, though I'm not too certain about seauging to Clark and Lois' conversation so quickly after departing the capitol. I don't know if you could slip something in between there or not.[/font]

I'm not sure if I can put something in between.  I think I can try, but in my opinion looks nice and very dramatic.  It also makes a good mix with the audio channels.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]It isn’t bad, but I really feel G. Swanswick’s scene with Finch absolutely doesn’t fit in there.  It would be better off if it started the following act, but I don’t know what the options are at the moment[/font]

Yes, I agree with you that General Swanwick's scene doesn't fit in this moment.  However, it was put in the beginning to replace the footage of Luthor with the Kryptonite, because at this point, Senator Finch is still giving her speech and inviting Superman to the Capitol.  I agree with you it should appear later, in the next act, but I would have less footage to replace the other one.  Let me see what can I do here. Hopefully, I can come up with a better solution.

samspider3 said:
In the next fan edit, It would be revealed that Keefe was some bum Luthor took out from prison and bribed him with a new wheelchair to talk against Superman, unknowing he was gonna die and that it was Luthor's response to Senator Finch for blocking the license to get the Kryptonite. The details about where the Kryptonite came from are ommited so I can make this sub plot fit in the chronology of Man of Steel. Maybe I can cut Keefe's excuse to go to the Capitol and just make him seem like he'll be in the meeting just to testify against Superman, and leave the excuse for the next fan edit. His position on Superman is negative and that is heard in my version of Keefe's interview with Soledad O'Brien.  Or maybe ommit the explanation on both fan edits.  What do you think?

However, I admit it might look a little bit choppy.  I still have to work on it, but it's probably the best I can do to set up the Capitol explosion.

Well, I don't know if this helps, but one of the ideas Nic is going to use for his edit of Batman v. Superman was using the Indian Ocean World Engine as a model for Brainiac. I don't know how you'll handle the Battle of Metropolis in your edit, but maybe something similar could be done here, like have the Indian World Engine appear as a drone Superman fights and in the next edit reveal that Lex was going to get Kryptonite from there but was blocked by Finch, thus why he had Wallace do the Capitol bombing shit.

KingoftheGundam79 said:
Well, I don't know if this helps, but one of the ideas Nic is going to use for his edit of Batman v. Superman was using the Indian Ocean World Engine as a model for Brainiac. I don't know how you'll handle the Battle of Metropolis in your edit, but maybe something similar could be done here, like have the Indian World Engine appear as a drone Superman fights and in the next edit reveal that Lex was going to get Kryptonite from there but was blocked by Finch, thus why he had Wallace do the Capitol bombing shit.

Hey now, I never said I was going to do an edit, just that I was thinking about it (also, I'm pretty sure making the engine Braniac was your idea). :)

My problem with Wallace is that since you're cutting out the original reason Wallace testifies against Superman (him being crippled because of the Black Zero Event), there is no way to properly introduce him, meaning he's going to come out of left field and feel really awkward.

My best bet to mitigate this? Imply Wallace was on the oil rig in the beginning, and that the explosions being set off cost him his legs. Sure, now he comes off as petulant ("Superman didn't help ME, so I hate him!", but to be fair, he wasn't very good in BvS anyway. ;)

Nic said:
Hey now, I never said I was going to do an edit, just that I was thinking about it (also, I'm pretty sure making the engine Braniac was your idea). :)

My problem with Wallace is that since you're cutting out the original reason Wallace testifies against Superman (him being crippled because of the Black Zero Event), there is no way to properly introduce him, meaning he's going to come out of left field and feel really awkward.

My best bet to mitigate this? Imply Wallace was on the oil rig in the beginning, and that the explosions being set off cost him his legs. Sure, now he comes off as petulant ("Superman didn't help ME, so I hate him!", but to be fair, he wasn't very good in BvS anyway. ;)

Hey just wanted to give you some credit! Without you I probably wouldn't have thought of it.

Wallace being at the oil rig would help makes things a LOT smoother. If the Jonathan as the mountains scene is included, it would actually tie back to Ghost!Dad's story about how he saved the farm but it flooded the other farm. Clark saved a lot of lives in that Oil Rig, but had some unintended consequences with Wallace bombing the Capitol.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Imply Wallace was on the oil rig in the beginning, and that the explosions being set off cost him his legs.[/font]

That is actually quite a good idea.  But how do you think I can imply Keefe was at the Oil Rig explosion? Always open to suggestions :D

BEst thing I can think of is cutting back to the oil overflowing, the rig catching on fire, and Wallace struggling under rubble while he's talking with Finch.

Nic said:
BEst thing I can think of is cutting back to the oil overflowing, the rig catching on fire, and Wallace struggling under rubble while he's talking with Finch.

The other solution I was thinking on was the one I wrote before: Not saying why he lost his legs.  To make it look like Keefe is just a man on wheelchair who doesn't support Superman.  This would mean I have to cut the meeting he has with Senator Finch before the invitation to the Capitol. 

The idea of the Oil Rig is actually pretty good, but the execution is another story.  The shots of Keefe in pain while being taken out of the disaster would not fit in the scene of the Oil Rig.  It's kind of difficult.  

What a puzzle we got here, huh?  :D

Just *having* Wallace there I think is going to harm your film from a narrative standpoint. How about:

Use the clip of Wallace putting his little string theory wall together over, interspersed with the oil rig catching fire and blowing up. We don't see Wallace, we just hear the voice clip of him saying things like "I can't feel my legs," stuff like that.

If you still need more footage, Scoot McNairy (the actor who plays Wallace) has been in films like Killing Them Softly, Gone Girl, Argo, Monsters, Frank, and Halt & Catch Fire, if you want to scan any of those for usable footage.

And hey, you could even have make Luthor giving Wallace the wheelchair as a post-credit scene, to keep things a bit more self-contained.

Nic said:
Just *having* Wallace there I think is going to harm your film from a narrative standpoint. How about:

Use the clip of Wallace putting his little string theory wall together over, interspersed with the oil rig catching fire and blowing up. We don't see Wallace, we just hear the voice clip of him saying things like "I can't feel my legs," stuff like that.

If you still need more footage, Scoot McNairy (the actor who plays Wallace) has been in films like Killing Them Softly, Gone Girl, Argo, Monsters, Frank, and Halt & Catch Fire, if you want to scan any of those for usable footage.

And hey, you could even have make Luthor giving Wallace the wheelchair as a post-credit scene, to keep things a bit more self-contained.

Yes! Now that's is actually some really good idea I can play with.  I can make some experiments.  Thanks a lot for that feedback.  It's helping this fan edit a lot  :D

The idea of having Wallace tie back to the oil rig sequence by having it flash by as he builds his memory wall is wonderful, having to avoid footage from the Metropolis incident.

I don't think Wallace in the oil rig will work, because you have already altered the oil rig scene by adding footage from a second film, and none of that footage includes that character. 

I think the way you edited the oil rig scene with the new footage works as is. What is the purpose of forcing Wallace into the scene? 

Voiceover montages are very difficult to get right and not feel forced/artificial.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I don't think Wallace in the oil rig will work, because you have already altered the oil rig scene by adding footage from a second film, and none of that footage includes that character. [/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I think the way you edited the oil rig scene with the new footage works as is. What is the purpose of forcing Wallace into the scene? [/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Voiceover montages are very difficult to get right and not feel forced/artificial.[/font]

Well, this what feedback is all about.  All suggestions are taken and we as faneditors try to do the best with what we have. Keefe's backstory on the Oil Rig might work or maybe not, the important thing is that I make the experiments and you as audience give me suggestions about how I can improve them :)

Let's just have some hope.  Hope with silent kryptonian "S".

My main point I think got obscured by the negativity in my post. My fault. 

I mean that your additions to the oil rig scene work really well so far, and I was surprised to see how well the other film's footage was integrated. I'm just not sure how much farther it can be stretched. No offense intended. 

You've certainly shown that you're capable of creative solutions.

addiesin said:
My main point I think got obscured by the negativity in my post. My fault. 

I mean that your additions to the oil rig scene work really well so far, and I was surprised to see how well the other film's footage was integrated. I'm just not sure how much farther it can be stretched. No offense intended. 

You've certainly shown that you're capable of creative solutions.

No offense taken ::D  In fact, right now i'm making an experiment of the Oil Rig scene to give it a direction of Flashback when Keefe talks to Senator Finch.  I was able to use some more footage of Deepwater Horizon, where Mark Whalberg is helping someone to get up.  And guess what? youd don't even see their faces, the shot is dark enough to cover their faces, yet quite clear to see what's happening.  Combined with the part where Keefe says he doesn't feel his legs, it will match perfectly.  I'm excited to show you this, guys.

Thanks a lot with the creative solutions part xD.

As promised and suggested, here is the scene of Keefe talking to Senator Finch with flashbacks of the Oil Rig explosion.  As I said before, I took some more footage from Deepwater Horizon, where Mark Whalberg is helping to get someone out of the Oil Rig.  I added the audio from Batman v Superman where Keefe says he doesn't feel his legs. I think i have reached some dramatic level with the way it's shown, even with the music.  Also, it can make you think Keefe was preparing the explosives and that he was going to be a suicide bomb. 

Oh and I cut out the General Swanwick's introduction.  We'll leave it for much later.

That is absolutely and utterly AMAZING!  I love it, and all of a sudden the jump between night and day doesn’t seem so jarring.  You managed to catch the good alternating between the sequences.  You gaines yourself some BIG congratulations from me, Sam!  Well done.

Canon Editor said:
That is absolutely and utterly AMAZING!  I love it, and all of a sudden the jump between night and day doesn’t seem so jarring.  You managed to catch the good alternating between the sequences.  You gaines yourself some BIG congratulations from me, Sam!  Well done.

Thanks a lot! Even I am surprised of the satisfactory work done here xD.  Those dark shots from Deepwater Horizon fit like a hand in a glove.

samspider3 said:
As promised and suggested, here is the scene of Keefe talking to Senator Finch with flashbacks of the Oil Rig explosion.  As I said before, I took some more footage from Deepwater Horizon, where Mark Whalberg is helping to get someone out of the Oil Rig.  I added the audio from Batman v Superman where Keefe says he doesn't feel his legs. I think i have reached some dramatic level with the way it's shown, even with the music.  Also, it can make you think Keefe was preparing the explosives and that he was going to be a suicide bomb. 

Oh and I cut out the General Swanwick's introduction.  We'll leave it for much later.

Hallelujah, it works! @"KingoftheGundam79", check this out! ;)

Nic said:
samspider3 said:

Hallelujah, it works! @"KingoftheGundam79", check this out! ;)

Oh My God...

This is beautiful.

This is perfect. Excellently edited and paced. Well done! I knew this edit would be amazing, and you confirmed it here!

Keep it up, I'm DYING to see what you come up with next, @"samspider3"

Back
Top Bottom