• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: Ideal of Hope Edition

Based on your suggestion @"Nic" , behold this new beauty xD.  More of the crew working before the catastrophe.  All of this adds more suspense to the event.

Much better, since the first version's editing was reminding me of Suicide Squad (NEVER a good thing :s ). till could use some work, though. It doesn't feel quite right that you don't open it with Clark on the ship. For one, cutting from the spaceship landing to oil rig sets up the implication that Clark works on the rig (which isn't the case at all), and second, going from the drama scene on the rig with the music camping everything up to the quietness of Clak on the boat kind of kills the tension.

I would let the oil rig scene play out in full, and then cut to Clark on the boat when the guy in the office says "see what kind of throat-cutters we have and divert them over to the area" (with added music, so there' connective tissue with the scene transitions). In fact, the guy should say that line about getting boats over with what I'm guessing is the map that shows the boats that are near the rig at 4:46. ;)

Nic said:
Much better, since the first version's editing was reminding me of Suicide Squad (NEVER a good thing :s ). till could use some work, though. It doesn't feel quite right that you don't open it with Clark on the ship. For one, cutting from the spaceship landing to oil rig sets up the implication that Clark works on the rig (which isn't the case at all), and second, going from the drama scene on the rig with the music camping everything up to the quietness of Clak on the boat kind of kills the tension.

I would let the oil rig scene play out in full, and then cut to Clark on the boat when the guy in the office says "see what kind of throat-cutters we have and divert them over to the area" (with added music, so there' connective tissue with the scene transitions). In fact, the guy should say that line about getting boats over with what I'm guessing is the map that shows the boats that are near the rig at 4:46. ;)

You are right about something: This should open with something like Clark getting on the boat before working on it and then we go to the Oil Rig disaster.  However, it's a pity there is not footage available about this point of the film, no deleted scenes or anything.  It could have helped this part a lot (Thanks Snyder and Nolan ). But since I can't do miracles here, my main point on doing the Oil Rig scene like this is to start with something totally isolated that after a while gets connected to the focus moment of the story, by revealing Clark was near that disaster.

The problem is that I can't use the full Oil Rig explosion from Deepwater Horizon because it happens at night.  There are some amazing shots where we can see the explosion from outside the rig that I was intending to use, but it hurts me that I had to discard them because of this.  All of the scenes from Deepwater Horizon here were completely re ordered and re edited to cut out all the night shots and remove Mark Whalberg, John Malkovich and Kurt Russell.  It helped quite a lot Mark and Kurt were not in the place of the accident when it happens.

The way you are describing the cut on your head, about getting the coast guard preparing and then going to the scene of the boat was exactly how I was editing it after some modifications, but in the end I didn't like it because the transition from one thing to another did not give the effect I wanted. Though, I was thinking on using some shot of another film (I don't know which yet) where we can see the coast guard helicopter preparing to go to the place. We'll still have to see.

Here's a different take on the first flight of Superman (I kind of have an obsession with this scene since the day it came out).  Instead of the jumping stuff, much like in the trailer, we'll just see Clark walking towards the sun, with just the speech about hope Jor-El gives to him.  I think making this moment quiter and calmed the way I made it makes it delicate and beautiful.  After Clark takes boosts and flies, I use some of the shots of him trying to fly when he was jumping.  It was hard as f**k to edit it, especially with the sound, but I feel satisfied.  I forgot to tell you guys, this is the first time I'm working with 5.1 audio.  I should have done it years ago, it's wonderful.  Gets a lot of work, but the result is awesome.

samspider3 said:
For obvious reasons, I can't upload it to Youtube

A little late to this, but have you tried Vimeo?

TVs Frink said:
samspider3 said:
For obvious reasons, I can't upload it to Youtube

A little late to this, but have you tried Vimeo?

Yes, I upload all my clips to Vimeo.  However, I have the standard account and I can't upload clips of more of 500 MB.  My 28 minutes preview even in it's lowest bitrate, is still too big for Vimeo.

I have the same restriction on Vimeo and I uploaded my edits in two parts, each 50 minutes long.  Render at a lower bitrate.

Here are some updates for An Ideal of Hope:

- I decided to discard Lois' investigation about Clark's past for three reasons: If I put it in the beginning as I was planning to, it would make also seem that Perry knows Clark is Superman, and that's something I want to avoid.  Second, in the context I wanted include it, would not fit at all or lead us to anything.  Third, the story I'm trying to build here would be too long.

- After learning about his origin and stuff, Clark returns to the Kents Farm, where he happily tells Martha he now knows where he comes from.  That part where Martha says Lois came to ask some questions was obviously ommited.  Then we jump to the scene on Africa. Superman's montage of him saving everyone will happen some months later.  Maybe 3 or 4.  This is to justify the fact Clark now lives in a different place when he calls Martha searching for council.

- Everything about Africa and the Capitol conspiracy against Superman will be ommited.  The idea here is that all the details will be used on the Batman v Superman fan edit, where it is revealed Lex was planning this all along, and was one of the reasons Bruce Wayne hated Superman.  Of course, Bruce Wayne and Luthor are completely cut, but I will left the shot of Mercy and Luthor's empty chair to hint something for the next sequel. Also, no granny's peach tea gross stuff.

-  This is a story about Superman losing all hope on people of earth and then retrieving it, so after the explosion, Supes will feel disappointed and people want him to leave earth after failing to save people on the Capitol.  Then Zod will come to earth and ask people of earth to give him Superman, but Clark decides to go to exhile, hopeless, in a moment of doubt where he doesn't know what to do, if people of earth deserves to be saved or not.  What encourages him to act as a hero is Jonathan Kent's ghost, who tells him the story about not being possible to save everyone and that what gave him hope was Martha, because she was the proof there is still good in the world.

Beutiful, I'd just toyed with a MOS cut ending with Clark talking to Johnathan's ghost too, it's either always a good opener for a BVS cut or a perfect capper to a MOS one.

Another thing I forgot.  I'm using Keefe's story (the man on the wheelchair) to justify his presence on the capitol as witness.  However, we will not know the reason for him to lose his legs, just that because of Superman, he lost them. We'll see a scene of him asking Senator Finch to face Superman.  That scene will tell us everything that's necessary for the context. This means that everything regarding him on the Metropolis Incident and Superman's statue won't be either here or in the Batman v Superman's fan edit.

If you show Clark talking to Jonathon at the end, are you cutting the scene where Clark talks Martha in the graveyard? Seems redundant-ish.

revel911 said:
If you show Clark talking to Jonathon at the end, are you cutting the scene where Clark talks Martha in the graveyard? Seems redundant-ish.

The scene of Jonathan's ghost will be shown, but not at the end of the fan edit. Regarding Clark and Martha's scene in the graveyard, I don't have intentions of cutting it.  I feel it's touching and nice. The point of the Jonathan's ghost scene is that it becomes the motivation to Clark to rejoin humanity and fight Zod.

samspider3 said:
revel911 said:

The scene of Jonathan's ghost will be shown, but not at the end of the fan edit. Regarding Clark and Martha's scene in the graveyard, I don't have intentions of cutting it.  I feel it's touching and nice. The point of the Jonathan's ghost scene is that it becomes the motivation to Clark to rejoin humanity and fight Zod.

I would hate to see the graveyard scene go. It is damn near pitch perfect in my opinion.

Why have I not come across this before?!?

This is shaping up to be something epic! Some of these ideas are things me and Nic were discussing when we were working on Birthright together. You're in a much better position to pull them off though, like integrating the Capitol scene in your edit.

Can't wait to see this edit when it's completed!

Here is my early cut of the Capitol Scene. I cut the scene of Clark calling Martha so it sells the Illusion Clark is watching tv from the Kents Farm.  The main intentions here are to introduce Keefe's character.  As you may see, he tells Supes made him half of a man, but not further details.  This is on purpose to ommit any kind of reference to Metropolis Battle. 

Then we see General Swanwick discovering General Zod's ship.  This was made for two reasons: First one to introduce the ship but leaving the menacing message for much later. And second to replace Lex Luthor's scene with the Kryptonite.  

No jar of piss during the Capitol explosion, and finally, I cut the line of Lois where she says there are people behind this plot, as her investigation doesn't happen until the next fan edit.

It seems a bit choppy. Jumps from Clark looking at the news, Wallace meeting with Finch, her calling for a press conference, Military looking at Zod's ship in orbit, Clark talking to his mom, the Senate meeting, and "Superman was never real".

Why does Wallace have the bomb? The obvious implication is that Lex is somehow behind this, but he doesn't appear in this edit (I assume) and Wallace is barely set up here. I know you intend to investigate this in the next fanedit, but it just feels like a loose end in the main plot.

Not bad though.

Great work, though I'm not too certain about seauging to Clark and Lois' conversation so quickly after departing the capitol. I don't know if you could slip something in between there or not.

It isn’t bad, but I really feel G. Swanswick’s scene with Finch absolutely doesn’t fit in there.  It would be better off if it started the following act, but I don’t know what the options are at the moment.  The (in my opinion top notch) scene between Clark and his mother would be better placed before the Capitol scene, as it now feels out of place and stuck in.  The rest is very good.  Probably, as others have already said, the “This is Not My World” scene would be better off after the Capitol scene has sunk in. Maybe a cameo from Wonder Woman or Lex…?

Back
Top Bottom