• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lowly Rated Movies You Like

I've been a fan of Rob Schneider since his SNL days. In my opinion he's much funnier than Adam Sandler and David Spade put together.

elbarto1 said:
Riddick series - alot of people hate Vin Diesel - I do too. except when he's fucking RIDDICK!!! [oh and find me guilty was a good goddamn film] 

I too enjoy the Riddick series quite a bit, Pitch Black especially. 

elbarto1 said:
Die Hard 4 and all the other lackluster Bruce willis movies you forgot about - B Dubs 4 Lyfe!!!

Yeah, Die Hard 4 wasn't bad for me. worse than the original trilogy, but enjoyable, nonetheless. 5 was awful though.
Speaking of Bruce Willis movies, I like Tears of the sun and Hostage.

Where has this thread been?! :D Here is one I really loved (although I haven't rewatched it in sometime)...

Terry Gilliam - Tideland: 29% on RT
Critical Opinions: Tideland is a disturbing, and mostly unwatchable effort from Terry Gilliam. Becomes an excruciating exercise in gothic excess and progressively more disgusting imagery. Enter this diseased Lewis Carroll universe at your own risk. I hated this film. I came very close to walking out of the screening room. Gruesomely awful. It seems, from the flat-out filmic disaster of "Tideland," that director Terry Gilliam is intent on ensuring a decisive end to his checkered filmmaking career.

Granted, if you aren't on-board with the setup of an imaginative little girl exploring her own half-imagined fairytale dream world, while living in a shack with her father's slowly rotting corpse... it might not be for you. It has it's fans, new Star Wars Director Rian Johnson apparently rated it his favourite film of 2006

Terry Gilliam's 21st century filmography has been less than stellar to say the least. He started off with The Brother's Grimm and Tideland, Doctor Parnassus' lead died towards the end of filmmaking so they couldn't do a Don Quixote and just abandon it, and then there was Zero Theorem.

Zero Theorem divided people, but I quite liked it. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's one of his best works, or even one of his really good ones, but this low-concept story combined with an excellent performance by Christoph Waltz made for a very well made film to end Gilliam's "Brazil Trilogy".

I'm excited to see him finally finish "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" next year, if this project doesn't kill Michael Palin as well. Don't let that happen to your fellow national treasure, Terry.

I don't care what you say. Terry's one of us now.... muahahahaha

I think Tideland needs another rewatch from me, it's been a while since I've seen it. But I remember hating it almost a decade ago, maybe my opinion has changed?

TM2YC said:
Where has this thread been?! :D 

That is what I do - revive the lost threads. Gotta add that to my signature  :D

Glad to see that there's a thread like this. For me, The Amazing Spider-Man Duology. Okay, they're not low rated per se, they're actually overall mixed to positive. But recent audience (especially internet) opinions have made these out to be two of the worst of the superhero genre. I... uh... really? I don't see it.

First one, rated 72% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7/10 on IMDB, mixed audience opinions around the internet. Okay this one's not that bad.

But the second one, rated 52% on Rotten Tomatoes, 6.7/10 on IMDB, one of the most hated superhero movies in recent memory. Oh boy.

You've probably seen me talking so positively about these films. These are two of my favorite superhero movies I've seen, and the best Spider-Man films so far (on par with each other in my opinion).

However I do agree that the second one was too ambitious for its own good, and was basically a suicide mission. It had to get at least a billion dollars for Sony to launch their planned Spidey Cinematic Universe (two more ASMs in 2016 and 2018, a Sinister Six movie, a Venom movie, a female-led movie (probably a Black Cat movie starring Felicity Jones))... Five more films, all depending on the success of TASM2. Of course, it failed to reach a billion.

Going to go a bit off topic here, sorry...

They could have still went on with TASM3 in 2016 but Andrew Garfield got sick and failed to attend the event in Brazil where the film and he as the star of it would have been announced. Because of this, slowly everything collapsed (or maybe it would collapse regardless of whether Garfield attended the Brazil event or not, I dunno). Shame, really. I was looking forward to future installments.

What about Raimi's films? Been warming up to 1 recently, having conflicted thoughts about 2 (at first I loved it for a long time, then hated it for a while, now it's been a while, I need to re-analyze it) and 3 is one of my least favorite superhero films, even though I love parts of it.

And Homecoming looks great, except for some really odd casting choices like Flash Thompson. Can't really have an opinion without seeing the movie though. So we'll see.

I love Terry Gilliam's films pretty much equally. They're never what I think they'll be and always pique my imagination. The exception being the studio-meddled Brothers Grimm, which TM2YC fixed up pretty well iirc. Brazil will probably always be my favorite though. Apparently he's trying Don Quixote again.

Edit: Sorry, I'll knock it off.

Rogue-theX said:
Armed and Dangerous - 1986 (John Candy and Eugene Levy (or maybe another guy, and Deebo, the small guy from Friday))
Men At Work - 1990 (I don't remember it now that I lost my vhs copy in a high stakes game of Scrabble or threw out but its worth watching, features an early Sam Jackson performance, they do some stuff and things happen, comedy ensues, is Loaded Weapon lowly rated? cause that one is way better and also features Sam Jackson and Emelio Esteves)
Nothing But Trouble - 1991 (apparently people hate this movie, screw 'em, its funny, plus Dan Aykroyd rocks that old pipe organ like a pimp, an old nasty disgusting rotting furiously mean spirited kind gentle vengeful old pimp with a false nose that sometimes looks like a wanker
Congo - 1995 (classic b movie sh!t that I think goes over most peoples heads)
Semi Pro - 2008 ("You Mother F*****G C**K Suckers! All of you!")

i only understood some of what you are saying here, so i'll reply to that.

Armed and D is genuinely funny.  it makes you long for Candy to still be alive.
Men At Work is a fun comedy and shows the brat pack starting to mature.
side note: Loaded Weapon ranks high on my Best Comedies list.
Nothing But Trouble i remember watching when i was young and being frustrated at the stupid decisions of the protagonists.  and the steps not taken a reasonable person would have made to solve their situation.  i'm sure it's a funny movie for some people, i just have nothing but trouble  :p  getting past when a character causes their own problems.
Congo i remember watching in the theater back in the day not knowing what to expect and wishing it was more.
Semi Pro i remember being kinda funny, but i've only ever seen it once with no desire to see it again.  if that says something.

speaking of Bruce Willis' lack luster movies as @"elbarto1" mentioned... one of my favorites is Striking Distance.
i've not revisited it in quite some time because i enthusiastically jumped on the Hate-Sarah-Jessica-Parker bandwagon.
but last year after watching through Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars getting Coffee series (i'm a completest, so i watched all of them, in order, even the people i don't care for), SJParker's episode, she completely won me over.  she's charming and real and down-to-earth.  it seems.  i don't know her personally.  that's not to say i'm going to marathon Coitus in Towns, but i certainly need to revisit one of my past favorites.
(side note:  Color of Night was also everything i wanted it to be when i was 14 and is responsible for my crush on Jane March.)

fu2.jpg

Despite its one-star review from Ebert and its F from The AV Club, this thread is making me think I should watch Fired Up (the unrated version, of course) again.

After the widespread poor reviews of 'Tomorrowland' I didn't bother seeing it. Nobody else did either, judging by the poor box-office.

Two years later, it's on Netflix this week so I give it a whirl. Granted the opening voice-over intro was a bad idea (where one character is basically telling another character that it's a terrible way to open a story... er hello???) but that's like 5-minutes and then a character says "B*llocks" once at a misjudged moment... but apart from that, it's a pretty much perfect movie. Full of adventure, science, wonder, positivity, emotion etc. 49% on RT from audiences and critics, surely not? One review from the Chicago Reader says...

An aggressively optimistic script admonishes the lazy and irresolute and urges humanity to end war and save the environment; the proselytizing burdens an already onerous plot.

For anybody who has seen the movie, this kind of "Sigh... optimism is sooo boring" attitude is one of the main themes. I feel bad for not having seen this movie at the cinema. BvS has an audience score of 63% and a big box-office take, so I guess people prefer dark, depressing, terribly written movies, without hope or humanity :D. 'Tomorrowland' brightened my day anyway :) .

^ Holy Moly, dude, do not agree - I found it cacophonous, absurdly hypocritical in its constant violence and Anglos-only casting, and devoid of any kind of coherent story. As a film critic wrote, "Seriously, there may have been less shouting in Fury Road. Everyone is always SHOUTING in this movie, so you can tell that IMPORTANT and EXCITING stuff is happening, and now let's have some more SHOUTING now, because without SHOUTING there's no way to explain the plot, because THERE'S REALLY BARELY A PLOT HERE AT ALL, please now let me SHOUT at you some more."

Oh, wait, that was me. :p

(Oh, and domestically, the movie was seen by a quarter of Guadians of the Galaxy's box office, which isn't nothing. But it did manage to exceed Guardians' budget by 20m, and that movie had two major all-CG characters.)

Tomorrowland was GREAT - until the end.
These were my thoughts when I watched it:
"Tomorrowland was a fantastic film with a very poor ending. I thought the most obvious ending was to simply use the broadcast to broadcast HOPE instead of despair - and that, in fact, was what we were watching. We thought we were watching a movie, but we're actually watching a broadcast from Tomorrowland, which tells us there is hope - so let's get together and work together. It really felt like this was the direction the movie was going - until it didn't.

Instead what we got was a typical movie "climax" with the "baddie" being murdered and the "big bad weapon" (broadcast) being blown up. Smacked of studio interference or a focus group ending. "

I'd still like someone really really talented who just recently watched and enjoyed the film (cough) to see if the ending could be fixed/tweaked to be in line with the rest of the film and really end on a optimistic note.
Because it felt like that was what it was supposed to be until the Man came and doused it in cold water. "We need a fight at the end, bah humbug!"

I was one of the few who saw that in theaters and I did like it, though it certainly had its share of issues.

Here's some:

Masters of the Universe -  slots nicely in with Flash Gordon in the odd realm of cheesy/charming movies that don't really qualify as "so bad its good," but their bad qualities are still half of what makes them so fun.

Star Crash - sort of in that same realm but definitely much closer to a legit "so bad it's good" moniker.

Speed Racer - saw this for the first time recently. If you can get past the almost frighteningly bad effects, you'll realize that first of all, what it's trying to go for visually is actually pretty swell (even if it doesn't totally work), and what it's doing story wise is really quite solid.

DominicCobb said:
Speed Racer - saw this for the first time recently. If you can get past the almost frighteningly bad effects, you'll realize that first of all, what it's trying to go for visually is actually pretty swell (even if it doesn't totally work), and what it's doing story wise is really quite solid.

I kinda secretly love Speed Racer.  Enough so that it's on my short list of movies to edit which I'll never get to.

Back
Top Bottom