• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lowly Rated Movies You Like

nightstalkerpoet said:
... Attack of the Clones is my favorite Star Wars movie. Does that count? :p
You sir have lost all credibility you had :p

TomH1138 said:
Ditto for Clue. What should have been a not-very-good movie is rescued by an amazing cast. (Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKeon, Lesley Ann Warren, Eileen Brennan, Martin Mull, Madeline Kahn!) And I always loved the board game, so . . .

"Clue" is a fucking awesome movie.

TomH1138 said:
I see what Q2 is talking about, but I think this thread was more intended as a "Guilty Pleasures" thread. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.)

Alright... If we're playing by them rules Southland Tale. :)

Q2 said:
Alright... If we're playing by them rules Southland Tale. :)

Fuck, every time I watch that movie I'm on the verge of understanding it, then lose it all.

This thread was originally about movies that aren't critically acclaimed that you think are good, but then all of my examples were movies that were either lowly rated by audiences or guilty pleasures. So... do what you want!

A more recent one that comes to mind for me is John Carter. Not a great film, but completely enjoyable.

I have heaps, but I'm a major sucker for action adventure :D obviously Kingdom and Doom but more recently Disney's Prince of Persia, the National Treasures and John Carter. Mummy 3 wasn't that bad either . . . ;-) Better then Mummy 2 anyway.

I actually like Wing Commander based on the computer games. I know sad but something about it that I like.

DominicCobb said:
This thread was originally about movies that aren't critically acclaimed that you think are good, but then all of my examples were movies that were either lowly rated by audiences or guilty pleasures. So... do what you want!
Too late to give us permission now. :p

Neglify said:
"Clue" is a fucking awesome movie.

Fuck yeah!! Clue is a favorite in the Cpr household :)

Guilty pleasures for me are Real Genius (I adore this movie) and Where the Heart Is.

i'm with Gaith. i liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. i think the reason (there is just one?) it got panned is because Americans don't read. we didn't "get it."
a couple of my favorites, straight up Nickelodeon movies. Clock Stoppers and Harold.
i'm not gonna bother defending myself in this thread.

Showgirls. Seriously. It's good. I like it a lot more than some other Verhoeven flicks, like Total Recall. Critics and the viewing public apparently thought the comedy was unintentional. But despite the lead actress's complete lack of acting skills, the comedy was very much intentional, I assure you.

Starship Troopers. Ditto.

Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me. This is a strange one because a lot of people recognised it for the masterpiece that it is, they were just in the minority.

The Green Hornet. Not exactly a masterpiece, but I had a great time. I even enjoyed the 3D (for once).

Some good ones. I'll agree with Starship Troopers and Fire Walk With Me.

The Patriot. It's no Braveheart, but I like it.

QuickCut said:
The Patriot.

gibsonthumbsup.jpg

Resident Evil film series. They're universally panned by critics, but I just can't get enough of them, even if it is easy to see why the critics don't like them in the first place. I think a lot of people here share that thought.

The Punisher (Both the Dolph Lundgren and Thomas Jane films) as well as Punisher: Warzone. Especially Warzone! Grittiest on-screen Punisher yet :) Incidentally, I have all three on DVD.

Resurrection. Not really lowly rated, but not a gem either as far as critics are concerned. Still one of my favourite B-movies.

Jaws 2. It's obviously not as good as the first, but what's so bad about it? It's still an enjoyable shark movie.

Neglify said:

Is that a good thing? :lol:

Kal-El said:
Resident Evil film series. They're universally panned by critics, but I just can't get enough of them, even if it is easy to see why the critics don't like them in the first place. I think a lot of people here share that thought.

Never played the games but I love the movies, although Extinction (3) is my least favorite. Apocalypse (2) and Afterlife (4) would be my favorites.

Kal-El said:
The Punisher (Both the Dolph Lundgren and Thomas Jane films) as well as Punisher: Warzone. Especially Warzone! Grittiest on-screen Punisher yet :) Incidentally, I have all three on DVD.

Loved the Dolph Lundgren one. The Thomas Jane one was alright, although I hated how Travolta's villain was basically a ripoff of his villain character from Swordfish. I've only seen the theatrical cut though. I fucking loved Warzone! Finally a Punisher movie that was a good representation of the comic. I'd love to see a sequel to that one.

Gaith said:
The_league_of_Extraordinary_Gentlemen_movie.jpg

Y'ALL KNOW IT'S AWESOME

... NO, REALLY

YES, IT IS

i remember going to see that when it came out in theaters. I personally enjoyed it. i think it may actually have been a bit ahead of its time though. cause really people weren't really knowing what to expect from it when it first came out. they were expecting a huge superhero type movie. and while it does have some good action, it wasn't all that huge epic that people were expecting.

one movie that I enjoyed recently was I Am Number Four. again, i think it was trying to hard to be something it wasn't. and its audience didn't really know what to make of it. but it actually was a pretty decent movie.

there are others that i could probably add to the list of ones that r low but ended up enjoying regardless.

Back
Top Bottom