• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kill Bill Reimagined (By NewSpock)

Yes, 5 films on 2 blurays in the US version, I've heard from a european release which has a little better picture-quality which uses 3 blurays.

Still, ironically the "fanedit" "Shogun assassin" offers way better picture-quality on bluray.

Kal-El said:
5 films on 2 discs?? I suppose those are BD50s then, at the least?

Oh yeah, well spotted. Apparently the first movie gets the deluxe treatment with it's own disc and the four sequels are on one BD-50. The screencaps look decent though.

Hmm, I have now a narrative that I'm happy with but it's at 3 hours 10 minutes without the end-credits, I'm struggling to get it down to 3 hours with the end-credits.

NewSpock said:
Hmm, I have now a narrative that I'm happy with but it's at 3 hours 10 minutes without the end-credits, I'm struggling to get it down to 3 hours with the end-credits.

The full credits to KB2 are quite extensive. The credits to KB1 are much shorter right? (Still full credit given to all parties though)

TM2YC said:
The full credits to KB2 are quite extensive. The credits to KB1 are much shorter right? (Still full credit given to all parties though)
Good idea, will use that, thanks. But still 3 hours and 10 minutes for the movie edit itself (without thr end credits) is still 10 minutes more than I planned.

NewSpock said:
Good idea, will use that, thanks. But still 3 hours and 10 minutes for the movie edit itself (without thr end credits) is still 10 minutes more than I planned.

I'm sure people who sit down to watch 3 hours won't complain for an additional 10 minutes...
A 3-hour Hobbit movie isn't a problem but a 3h10min Kill Bill edit would be?

What a pain doing all the subtitling was! It's like a fourth of the movie is in either japanese or chinese.:crutch:

Think of all the job skills you are adding to your résumé!

Just stumbled upon a plothole in the theatrical version of Volume 2:

At the end when Kiddo comes down after having brought her daughter to sleep, Bill pulls out a gun and shoots twice, causing very loud shots, yet the daughter doesn't wake up, storms down scared, thinking her father shot her mother again.

Seeing Bill shoot is really cool, he has a cool gun, but the whole scene is not believable with the daughter upstairs sleeping. It was possible to reorganize that scene and make Bill merely threaten with the gun to make Kiddo settle down.

What do you think is better? A believable scene or a cool-action-scene, ie. seeing Bill shoot?

Maybe the daughter was too scared to come downstairs. I probably would be. :oops:

I don't think that would happen. I think in most cases adrenaline would take over and you'd come storming down, no? Or at least in the movies :p Perhaps in this particular case it would be more convincing if Bill did in fact try to shoot Kiddo. He did it once before, what's to stop him from doing it again? It won't be because of the daughter. He shot Kiddo the first time when she was still pregnant.

NewSpock
the daughter wouldn't come down thinking 'her father shot her mother again' because she was unborn the first time... I hardly think she has any recollection of that moment...

If you can pull it off it would be more believable for Bill to try and reason with Kiddo. Especially because he probably realizes he won't make it out alive this time.

Kal-El said:

the daughter wouldn't come down thinking 'her father shot her mother again' because she was unborn the first time... I hardly think she has any recollection of that moment...

She doesn't have a direct memory of it, but her father Bill talked with her about shooting her mother.

I played around with the footage and could make it like Bill merely threatens Kiddo with the gun and she sits down, but Bill actually shooting gives a more impressive threat. So I think despite the drop in believability, I'll keep it that way.

Besides this idea of the daughter hearing the shots never crossed my mind while watching the movie before. Only now while editing and close-examing every detail it occured to me.

Kal-El, I think you will hate me for this;-):

I have made a new sequence, completely removing the fight against O-Ren's bodyguards, against Gogo, against the crazy-eighty-eight, going straight from Kiddo driving with the motorcycle and seeing Sophie to entering the wintergarden, where she faces O-Ren. The blood-splattered clothing shows that she went through alot to get to that point. After the O-Ren-fight, I show Sophie in the trunk of the car...
Imho it's a nice sequence, which helps keep the focus (and keeps the edit at 3 hours.)

NewSpock said:
I have made a new sequence, completely removing the fight against O-Ren's bodyguards, against Gogo, against the crazy-eighty-eight, going straight from Kiddo driving with the motorcycle and seeing Sophie to entering the wintergarden, where she faces O-Ren. The blood-splattered clothing shows that she went through alot to get to that point. After the O-Ren-fight, I show Sophie in the trunk of the car...

Biggest plot hole ever...

Kal-El said:
Biggest plot hole ever...
Lol, I guess the rule that what isn't visible hasn't happened applies in this instance as well.

In that case I'll have to fill the hole in such a way that the viewer understands what happened. Will post a clip for this crucial new scene.

If you won't show the fight at least make it clear it happened. A shot of a closed door for example, and when it slides open we see The Bride with the aftermath of the fight behind her, corpses and all. That's a pretty stylish way of showing that.

NewSpock said:
Lol, I guess the rule that what isn't visible hasn't happened applies in this instance as well.

In that case I'll have to fill the hole in such a way that the viewer understands what happened. Will post a clip for this crucial new scene.

Here's a thought. So far you've talked about 3 ways to handle the Crazy 88 fight; A) Keep it intact, B) Cut it in half, C) Cut it completely. There's a simple 4th idea.

♪All you gotta do is find a kick-ass song♪
♪Then cut down the fight so it's not as long♪
♪The audio cuts will be masked by the rocking music♪
♪As for what song, it's up to you to choose it♪
♪Maybe make it like a minute or so♪
♪And you can definitely cut out GoGo♪
♪You gotta make a montage
♪
♪No plot holes in a montage♪

Neglify said:
Here's a thought. So far you've talked about 3 ways to handle the Crazy 88 fight; A) Keep it intact, B) Cut it in half, C) Cut it completely. There's a simple 4th idea.

Welcome back, Neglify!:)

I watched a first workprint the last weekend of this edit where the O-Ren-story-part is left nearly intact, and while I enjoyed most of the edit, the O-Ren sequence dragged as it has just too much footage for it compared with the rest, and therefore disturbing the pacing of the movie as a whole. I seek for an elegant way to streamline it without diminishing it.

NewSpock, both here and in your Star Wars 3-in-1 edit you don't really seem to have a plan of attack (structure) as you go along. How do you usually plan your edits? Do you just go "Well, I'm going to edit something" or do you know exactly what film you want to edit and how you want to edit it? I get the feeling from both threads that in some specific instances or major scenes you don't really know what to do with them in these edits. That could be a possible pitfall to your edit not coming out the way you'd like it to. Newer members (up to this day) that approached edits the same way sometimes went off course considerably and didn't know how to handle our constructive comments well, with added arrogance and general destructive behavior on top. There are others that approach edits this way and do just fine, apparently, but not everyone's cut from the same cloth.

In danger of making all of this sound too harsh (I warned you) I'll put the most important part of my rant underneath here again:
How do you usually plan your edits?

Have you ever seen one of LastSurvivor his Vimeo videos on his edits? How he talks about them? I could do a 5-hour video on Superman Returns without so much as having converted one minute of footage to start editing with. Just saying :)

Kal-El said:
a dickweed arrogant s.o.b.

From the FE.org general-rules...

Mind your language and try to not insult users.

An apology would be nice.

Kal-El said:
Do you just go "F#ck it, I'm going to edit something"... I get the feeling... you don't really have a very concise idea of what story you want to tell with these edits. Which is bad. Very bad. That's how crappy edits get made.

That's how I make my edits .

Back
Top Bottom