• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Kill Bill Reimagined (By NewSpock)

Here's a rough draft of how I'd tackle the widescreen cover (using a similar but non-identical image as I couldn't find the same image you've used):

2yvth8w.png

The font is just Impact, and I'm not arguing that it's the best font for this cover - but I think that keeping it consistent in terms of casing actually makes the use of italics for the "reimagined" tagline and the "Starring Uma Thurman as The Bride" parts more effective, because now they're more obviously distinct from the rest of the text, rather than being lost in a sea of different text styles.

The main problem I've seen with these covers so far is a lack of cohesion, particularly with the colors used. One has heavy emphasis on yellow/brown/earthtone for the back and straight black and white for the front, it just doesn't jive as one piece of art. The widescreen one takes care of that issue, so that's got my vote. However, if you can get the colors right on one of the other designs, I think they'd be markedly improved.

overall consistent with colors
only thing really missing is the fan edit logo and a dvd logo somewhere.
could not find these logos.

jswert123456 said:
consistent with colors. something i threw together.
qq36mo.png

Sorry, I rated this negatively by mistake. I like the layout and design, it's simple and very effective :)

Here are a few examples of existing Kill Bill fanedit covers, to give artists an idea of what to do:

3d_killbill.jpg

3D_boon23_killbill_twbr_cover.jpg

WMD_3Dview.jpg

That One Guy said:
Here's a rough draft of how I'd tackle the widescreen cover (using a similar but non-identical image as I couldn't find the same image you've used):

2yvth8w.png

The font is just Impact, and I'm not arguing that it's the best font for this cover - but I think that keeping it consistent in terms of casing actually makes the use of italics for the "reimagined" tagline and the "Starring Uma Thurman as The Bride" parts more effective, because now they're more obviously distinct from the rest of the text, rather than being lost in a sea of different text styles.

Thanks for the input again. You are right, there are too many fontstyles used in my cover. Will try to homogenise them as much as possible. As to having "NewSpock presents".. on the black bars, I understand the idea and sentiment, but they break the illusion of having wide-screen-bars and it misses having Quentin Tarantino's name on it.

As to the other yellow versions of covers, they are all very good each in their own way, but I want to get away from the yellow as it is so often used for Kill Bill.

But thanks to all for the inspirational input, so far I lean towards the widescreen-version, will try to refine it regarding the fontstyles and positioning of the texts.

That One Guy said:
Personally, I like the widescreen one - but I agree that it might look odd when only looking at the front or back cover (though I think you've placed the spine quite nicely given the available choices).

In terms of the first cover you posted, I've played around with it a bit and here's a rough draft of what I'd suggest:

15dxht3.png

I've left off the spine text because I really didn't like how you'd let the image from the back cover spill over - plain black text on the spine should suffice. I personally prefer all-caps for spine text, but that's just me. If you want you can also play around with the relative placement of the image on the front - for example, you could have

"NewSpock presents
Quentin Tarantino's
{IMAGE}
Kill Bill
Reimagined"

as the layout if you wanted.

(I'm also aware that I've gone a bit OTT with the contrast on the front part, but that's partly because the resolution and size of the image I've used. You get the general idea, I hope...)

One other thing - consistency of text is key for a cover to work, IMO. Keep to as few stylistic differences as possible - ie use one font uniformly if you can (though you can break this if your title has a logo which is sufficiently stylised to work as an image), establish a pattern for upper/lower/mixed case, font sizing, bolding and italicising. The widescreen-cover is nice but on the front we have two sets of italicised text in different sizes (with one set bolded, I think) as well as the title in a different, comparatively plain font with no italics. It looks somehow discordant, to me.

Thanks for that input as well, that looks more professional. I think I'll work that up as a secondary cover. But as addiesin points out, having black and white on the front and colour on the back is not very cohesive. Maybe there is a way to turn the back-picture of the bride into black and white as well.

People, people, people, whatever you do with covers make sure the aspect-ratio of the images you use are maintained :oops:. I'm seeing a lot of nice ideas but lots of squashing and stretching too.

Also the spine on that last one ^ (Based on NewSpock's first cover) is all over the place. Half the spine is on the front cover.

that last one is his cover, all i did as change it to black and white, and ive since corrected the 2 i did.

jswert123456 said:
sort of like this, but I messed up on the words.

so64wl.png

Yes, something like that, the orange text would have to be white as well, and combined with how That One Guy has positioned the titles for this cover in post #80 this could be it for the secondary cover. Of course the positioning of the spine has to be corrected.

As to the primary cover, this is the latest version, trying to homogenise the font-styles (although I couldn't use the same style for all texts on it):

nyxeftvh9fkcmboffstv7c-large.jpg

I wouldn't put the names over their heads, but all on the same level, on the front cover only.
Perhaps it's not a good idea to only list theirs as well? The movie stars Uma Thurman after all.

Feedback is always good, but you guys are sure spending a lot of time nitpicking details for the cover of an edit you haven't even seen yet. Every edit and every cover can always be improved, but what's been provided so far definitely meets the guidelines. Artwork is very subjective - I can't count the number of covers I've winced at, yet others loved. I'm not at all saying that is the case here, but hopefully you see my point.

Also, it should be noted (and encouraged) that anyone can make an *extra* cover for an edit at any time, and we'll provide those as an option for people on IFDB. It is up to the editor though, which specific cover will represent the edit. Thank you Jswert and That One Guy for your contributions.

This discussion is starting to seem a bit excessive, so unless NewSpock specifically requests feedback for parts of his cover, let's please steer the conversation back to the edit itself.

TM2YC said:
whatever you do with covers make sure the aspect-ratio of the images you use are maintained :oops:

NewSpock said:

Oh well, nevermind then.

Kal-El said:
I wouldn't put the names over their heads, but all on the same level, on the front cover only.
Perhaps it's not a good idea to only list theirs as well? The movie stars Uma Thurman after all.

On most covers they belong on the front-cover, but sometimes it's good to play out of the norm if the cover's expression allows for it. In this case imho it's good that the names are above the heads. As to Uma Thurman, I have mentioned her prominently in the main-text on the back-cover.

And eventhough I experienced the exchange with all of you as a sort of creative brainstorming between people who love doing covers, I agree with ThrowgnCpr that it takes too much room here, since it's just a cover afterall, and the edit is more important.

So thanks for all the input and the ideas, I think we can put this to an end.

Back
Top Bottom