• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JOHN CARTER

:eek:

WORST. COVER. ART. OF. ALL. TIME!

Dear lord that cover art is a microcosm of why the movie failed. Worst. PR Effort. Ever.

I'm hoping that this gets the sequels it deserves. As I left the theater I was sad in the knowledge that the sequels would very likely not happen, and that unlike John Carter, I would not be able to return.

Here's to hoping.

I'm not sure if this is a custom cover or the official DVD cover, but it looks slightly better than the Blu-Ray cover.

John_Carter_-_Custom.jpg

I don't understand why they don't just use the original poster (just JC on Mars with only shades of red and orange). Sure, it still tells nothing about the film, but at least it looks cool! Their cover art is so bad, it seems almost intentionally awful.

i'll have to remember to submit the official bluray art to next years booby's. in the mean time - i'll begin writing my acceptance speech.

So I was seriously considering making this my next fan edit project, but after watching the dvd last night I have changed my mind. The deleted scenes don't really add anything significant to the story and other than wanting to remove the opening Mars prologue, there is really nothing in the movie I think needs to be edited. I just really like this movie as it is.... :)

bionicbob said:
So I was seriously considering making this my next fan edit project, but after watching the dvd last night I have changed my mind. The deleted scenes don't really add anything significant to the story and other than wanting to remove the opening Mars prologue, there is really nothing in the movie I think needs to be edited. I just really like this movie as it is.... :)

Were the scenes in completed form?

The only thing i didn`t like was the ``You are John Carter of earth`` - ``Yes ma`am`` Well duh!

9 outta 10.

Would have been really cool if it was made in the 30`s more like Things To Come, in glorious B&W.

Rogue-theX said:
Were the scenes in completed form?

The only thing i didn`t like was the ``You are John Carter of earth`` - ``Yes ma`am`` Well duh!

9 outta 10.

Would have been really cool if it was made in the 30`s more like Things To Come, in glorious B&W.

Actually that might be a cool idea. Add lots of stylish cliffhanger serial music. Could work.

Most the deleted scenes were unfinished f/x scenes or alternate versions of scenes in the movie. Nothing startling or significant in terms of character or plot.

Finally saw John Carter on blu ray yesterday. It was very good. I thought the CGI was terrific for the most part. Wish I had seen it at the theater.

Really sucks that there won't be sequels.

Sorry Bob, but the Gaithster, who very much looked forward to seeing this, found it to be total crap.

- I'd say that JC as a protagonist is a zero, but as a once-CSA officer, he starts out at a -5 for me, and never improves. He needed some kind of weakness, a la Indy's fear of snakes.

- The princess... okay, was pretty decent, but she falls in love with JC for no reason, thus negating much of my interest in her.

- The villains were terrible: no motivation, no menace, no personality, no sense. Who were the albino people, where were they from, etc.? I didn't care one bit.

- The Tharks were pretty cool. I did like them.

- The direction was awful, frenetic and monotonous. The editing was way too fast throughout the movie, often giving us four of five shots of simple establishing beats where one would have been far better.

- The score... horrible. Loud beyond belief and devoid of any kind of personality.

- There was no consistency whatsoever to JC's powers. He can jump hundreds of meters at a time and land without pain, but can also be slapped around/dragged/dueled with at the movie's convenience. No. Just no.

- I was amused to see both Caesar's assistant and then Julius Caesar himself. And then one of Caesar's men starts speaking, and I was all, wouldn't it be funny if that were Antony? And lo, it was Antony! Seeing those two together again was by far the best part of the movie. When he tells JC to take him hostage, Purefoy shows more wit and personality than the protagonist does the whole way through. If he'd been the lead, the movie might have had a chance.

C-

Well, as usual Gaith, we must agree to disagree. ;-)

Here's an apparently official if minor/alternate poster for the movie I just came across:

mpampajohncarterb.png

I wish that the actual movie had had this early 20th century pulp-painting look, as opposed to the more-or-less realistic color scheme we did get. Not changing my grade, though. :p

So I'm watching this on Showtime right now, and I was thinking about how a good edit would be done (if anyone wants a suggestion, or for when I finally get the cojones).

- Cut out the Mars prologue (too much exposition at once)
- Cut out the New York framing device (too many beginnings/endings; also it's kinda stupid and confusing)
- Insert footage (from somewhere) of JC's family being murdered by Natives as a flashback while he's all jailed up (establish his internal conflict as soon as possible)
- Cut out the stuff with the Princess and the other humans on Mars before JC meets them (keep it JC centric - it'll be a little confusing, but we'll be confused with JC, thus feeling more connected to him, and so we don't have all this info being thrown at us at once)

It's only about an hour in, and I can't watch the whole thing, so I won't be able to come up with anything else (off the top of my head, it has been a while since I saw this). Other than that stuff, I'm sure some of the deleted scenes might help (haven't seen them yet), and maybe a bit of color correction on the Mars set scenes could be cool.

But, anyways, re-watching it reminds me that I actually like this movie quite a bit. It looks beautiful, it's got some pretty cool action/special effects/concepts. And I love the score. Shame it's not really that good. I would recommend it though. And I really do hope somebody (or me) does a fan edit someday.

All of these sound like the cuts that this movie desperately needs. To paraphrase a critic I follow, "imagine, if in Finding nemo, another movie directed by Andrew Stanton, instead of seeing the shark eating all of Marvin's family in the beginning, we learn about it through cutting back and forth between him and Dory being chased by a Bruce and the aforementioned chase scene at the beginning. That's how the "mystery" of John Carter plays out."

Spotted this while on another random gis search:
john_carter_of_mars_by_cecil_demille_poster_by_scaleyscribe-d5x401m.jpg

JOHN CARTER has been getting a lot new buzz lately due to Stanton's recent panel at Comic Con.

ERB enthusiast Todd Luck posted a wonderful retro review this week...

Back
Top Bottom