• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JOHN CARTER

Sign me up with Team Bionic. I just saw this movie tonight and I LOVED it! I thought Taylor Kitsch worked well on the Mars scenes, but didn't exactly come up as a Confederate Soldier, thought he came off as too modern. Lynn Collins is a wonderful actress and plays an amazing female role, almost to the point that I wanted her to be the main character. I think between her and Gina Carano (Haywire) we have a Wonder Woman on our hands.

The movie itself felt very reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Ark and 1980s Flash Gordon of fun films that I'd feel good about watching over and over again. My major complaint though is that I wasn't really drawn in by the villains. I don't get any sense of why Than Kosis did what he did besides just being evil. In fact, there's never indication as to why the red martians were fighting each other in the first place, so that kinda makes me question why John would help a group of people he knows nothing about, aside from Collins word for it, which itself barely works. In that sense, it might've helped if it were a more whimsical romp, like the 80s Flash Gordon film. That being said however, I still greatly enjoyed this movie and can't wait to own it on DVD.

Metrostar said:
Mark Kermode's review of John carter has really put me off seeing it...

[video=youtube_share;i1LQkZKYsaY]

finally came around listening to it and boy I think he is spot on. I agree that this movie feels very tailormade and despite stanton seemingly loving the book I never felt this movie to be "honest". I totally love speed racer for the fact that no matter how hated and bad it is the wachowski's definately wanted to make this movie otherwise you don't blow 200 million on a movie that so obviously appeals to only the directors. With John Carter I never felt that it felt more like an exercise in getting from one place to the next

I just returned from John Carter
...of Mars, finaly
All in all I liked it a lot, but, as I expected, it was a bit too "Disney" for my taste. I understand this is a family movie but why always diminish the power of the action scenes with average/weak humor? Oh, and some "romantic" dialogues were a bit lame too. But maybe it was because the french voice of the princess was pretty bad. Hope to look at it its original audio one day.
The 3D was nice. The design of most of the creatures, and particulary the tharks look a bit like drawings of french comic books artist Loisel:
La-Tome-3-Le-rige-2205047981-cg.jpg

and I liked that a lot. :)
The story itself is déjà-vu, but considering the age of the original book it's pretty great that it still manage to save some sort of originality. At least it does not have a prophecy in it...
I was afraid to witness a big mess ala 10000 B.C but it was way better (not too difficult though...)

question: was anyone else bothered by carter slaying people of a race he has never seen before - made worse by the fact that we as an audience know they have been manipulated by sinestro?
it was kinda ultraviolent and glorifying the slaughter... :(

Sunarep said:
question: was anyone else bothered by carter slaying people of a race he has never seen before - made worse by the fact that we as an audience know they have been manipulated by sinestro?
it was kinda ultraviolent and glorifying the slaughter... :(

NOPE. NOT AT ALL.:lol:

John Carter is a soldier first and always. He chose a side and fought for it.

The City States of HELIUM and ZODANGA have been in a state of eternal war for untold centuries, so the THURNS (or Sinestro :lol:) simply chose a warring side to try to control to reach their own agenda. But with or with out the Thurns, the Red Men of Mars would have been fighting.

So I went to the movie AGAIN yesterday. And I completely stand by my original review. In fact, I think I might have enjoyed it more the second time, picking up on little easter eggs I missed the first time around. While I agree, the movie should have definitely opened on Earth, not Mars, the movie and effects completely worked for me. It is a charming, fun, steampunk, retro, pulp, planetary romance adventure movie! THUMBS UP!!!:)

bionicbob said:
It is a charming, fun, steampunk, retro, pulp, planetary romance adventure movie! THUMBS UP!!!:)

I think I'm gonna wait for it to come to our little Pre-DVD theater and watch it in 2-D for $3. I'm still not convinced it's worth more than that, but I'm intrigued by how much you like it! :)

Metrostar said:
I think I'm gonna wait for it to come to our little Pre-DVD theater and watch it in 2-D for $3. I'm still not convinced it's worth more than that, but I'm intrigued by how much you like it! :)

I actually wish I had the choice. I would much prefer to watch it in 2D. Not a fan of 3D movies.

The main cinema isn't big enough to give us a choice and more often than not will push the 3-D option. Our little theater can only show movies in 2-D, but it only shows one movie per week, so it's a gamble whether we will get to see the ones we want to see there.

re: bux uffice performance—maybe potential audiences think this is a biopic about the 39th USandA prez. :-?

While it has done extremely poorly in the USA, it is making money internationally.
In fact, it broke box office records in Russia.

It has already grossed 180 million overseas and should easily pass the 200 million mark shortly.
Combined with dvd sales, Disney will easily make their money back.:)

bionicbob said:
Disney will easily make their money back.:)

Don't forget the reported $100 million in advertising they spent. :)

plus while american sales are split 50/50 (studio/cinema) the studio sees far less from the overseas profit (about 30%) so Carter has a very very hard time to break even

Metrostar said:
Don't forget the reported $100 million in advertising they spent. :)

Yeah, they better fire whoever was in charge of that fiasco!:p

geffyB said:

Here's a sort of reply to that by a talbacker at ain't it cool news:
"STOP blaming Disney for the marketing of this movie. That is bullshit. This ALL falls on Stanton, who was a complete dickhead throughout. There is a long story on one of the trades about everything that happened in the trailer process. Stanton screwed the studios by not having anything ready (due to his lack of experience with this genre) and had no idea how he wanted to sell it. The exec from Disney (a woman whose name escapes me) fought tooth and nail with him to get something decent. He screwed her and we got the first crap trailer.

After that she begged and pleaded with him for a better second trailer. He agreed to everything, then undercut her at every step of the process and put out exactly what he wanted to. The trade said he was such a complete asswipe to this woman that she routinely left their meetings in tears. She eventually left the position, and the next poor bastard inherited the mess.

Stanton fucked this up every step of the process. It is entirely his fault that no one saw his movi
e. It was his ego that screwed this up and I'm sick of people giving him a pass without knowing the facts."

Don't know what that worths. Just wanted to add a counter argument somehow.

Stanton's Background from animation is used a lot to justify the bad directing but as we have seen with Andrew Bird a guy can change from animation to directing blockbusters successfully so I hate it when people make it out to say that animation directors can't direct live action

TMBTM said:
Here's a sort of reply to that by a talbacker at ain't it cool news:

Don't know what that worths. Just wanted to add a counter argument somehow.

And the plot thickens....:-o
And the finger pointing...:oops:

Not that any of it really matters now. What is done is done.:-(

But regardless, IMO still a great movie!!!:)

Once again, the FANS get it right. Another AMAZING TRAILER from the John Carter Files....

So I going to officially announce now,
I will definitely be doing a JOHN CARTER FAN EDITION!

So come on Disney, release the DVD already!:D

Much better trailer but the movie still looks a bit meh to me, it really should of been made 20 years ago, as it stands it just looks a little cliched and derivative.

Back
Top Bottom