• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Guardians of the Galaxy

Saw the film last night. I would'nt say it was weak, just a little safe, I didn't feel any of the characters were in danger and it's really a film played more for laughs than dramatics. Batista steals this film for me, has the most compelling backstory and all the best comedy bounces off of him. Love Groot too, Rocket did'nt do much for me. Ending felt like something out of a Disney season of Power Rangers. Villains are under-utilized too.
Example: Ronan gets one big fight scene at the climax of the second act with Drax and then does'nt do much with the infinity stone other than wipe out a net of Nova Corp ships

There are also moments where there are too many convieniances driving the plot forward
like Drax giving away the team's location and the Collector's slave rebelling

However, it will most certaingly do well at the box office, it's the right kind of summer entertainment and will put smiles on your faces. Plenty of laughs and action, just wish there was more dimension to it.

Probably the least intimidating apperance by Thanos ever too...does'nt take long for Ronan to be all "forget you" when he gets the stone. Ha.

I saw this in IMAX 3D. Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the best 3D movies I have ever seen.

The story is weak at points but the entertainment factor is so high that doesn't matter. I'm prolly giving the movie one more star than it really deserves but the fan boy inside of me really geeked out tonight. Guardians of the Galaxy really touches on some hard core Marvel Universe Lore.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a hard PG-13. It's a family movie but they really push alot of soft curse words throughout the dialogue.

I would suggest Guardians of the Galaxy to everyone.

5 out of 5 Stars

A little review I guess:

Fun times all around. The titular Guardians are the real highlight here and, more or less, the only interesting characters. My biggest gripe with the film is it spends all this time with the extremely dull villains, who I really couldn't care less about. Those scenes are so humdrum that they really stand out in a bad way, especially in comparison to the scenes with the Guardians, which are constantly bursting with life, energy, and laughter. Thankfully the latter scenes take up most of the film, because they really are something special. Each Guardian is a treat to watch. Special shout outs to Bradley Cooper doing Joe Pesci as Rocket, and, of course, the best part of the film, Chris Pratt as Star Lord. Pratt has to be one of my favorite actors right now. His performances are always a delight. He's got this charismatic man child sweetness to him, which, combined with blockbuster heroism, makes him a truly unique leading man, the likes of which I cannot say with certainty I have seen before. I love that he's the star of next year's Jurassic World, and I can't wait to see what else he'll do. If I have one complaint about his Peter Quill, it's that we don't get enough of him. There's definitely a lot about him that hasn't been said (how does he feel about being abducted? does he want to go back to Earth? etc.), and presumably will be in a sequel. But it really should have been said here. Unfortunately I do feel like this film is rather messy in it's plotting at times. Often, I felt out of the loop. I'm sure stuff like the scene with the Collector made comic fans wet, but, to me, it was just really weird and rather random and not entirely necessary. When the film came to an end, though, and all was said and done, I couldn't help but love it. The humor, the music, all that fun stuff, that was all great. Definitely worth a watch.

I definitely see some fan editing potential. I'd cut back on Ronan as much as possible and add in any deleted scenes of the Guardians. Also some dialogue trims here and there (ex. when Gamora said "you turned off the artificial gravity everywhere except in here" I literally said "no shit" out loud). Also, the score was rather generic, I thought. Maybe replace it with a sweeping 80s John Williams-esque sci-fi/fantasy soundtrack.

emanswfan said:
Looks like an interesting creature is making a brief cameo in the end credits scene.
This is a spoiler tag for a reason
I mean it.
Alright then, proceed on.

This is just too cute not to post... and yeah, only indirectly connected to Guardians, but still.... :D

^ That video wins the internet :)

Just seen it. Wooooha enormous fun! :)

Fantastic characters and back-stories that still leave you with questions by the end. Starlord is such a well developed character and the other four Guardians are a hoot for different reasons. The plot was a little messy and there were some minor characters (On the good side) that I thought we were supposed to care about but because of the little screen time they had, I didn't. None of those problems mattered in the grand scheme though.

My favourite part might have been that Starlord's ship looked like it was designed by the same guy as the B5 Starfury! (With a little of the Starcom spaceship toy I had as a kid thrown in)

81J1NrFjYoL._SL1500_.jpg

Babylon_5_Starfury_Tribute_by_Gungho3D.jpg

shadobat2.jpg

Zarius said:
Batista steals this film for me

I wasn't expecting much from him but he'd got that powerful Arnie like screen presence. Also soooo funny.

Zarius said:
There are also moments where there are too many convieniances driving the plot forward

I'm sure if I thought about it, none of the plot made any sense but I barely had a moment to think about that. I was too busy laughing, smiling and getting emotional.

Linten1 said:
Guardians of the Galaxy is a hard PG-13. It's a family movie but they really push alot of soft curse words throughout the dialogue.

I know right, loads of swearing but it was all used well e.g. Starlord to the Villain before he kills him "You Said it Yourself, Bitch! We're the Guardians of the Galaxy". But the film seemed more aimed at the middle-age bracket anyway with all those old pop culture refrences, that I'm sure some kids wouldn't get. The "Legend of Footloose" one being my favourite :).

DominicCobb said:
The titular Guardians are the real highlight here and, more or less, the only interesting characters. My biggest gripe with the film is it spends all this time with the extremely dull villains, who I really couldn't care less about. Those scenes are so humdrum that they really stand out in a bad way, especially in comparison to the scenes with the Guardians, which are constantly bursting with life, energy, and laughter.

Spot on there. The movie stopped dead the first time it cut to Ronan Keating and the rest of Boyzone ;-).

DominicCobb said:
Each Guardian is a treat to watch. Special shout outs to Bradley Cooper doing Joe Pesci as Rocket, and, of course, the best part of the film, Chris Pratt as Star Lord. Pratt has to be one of my favorite actors right now. His performances are always a delight. He's got this charismatic man child sweetness to him, which, combined with blockbuster heroism, makes him a truly unique leading man

Too right. Quill was a brilliantly written character with strong emotional underpinning to his antics. "charismatic man child" sums it up perfectly.

DominicCobb said:
I definitely see some fan editing potential. I'd cut back on Ronan as much as possible and add in any deleted scenes of the Guardians. Also some dialogue trims here and there (ex. when Gamora said "you turned off the artificial gravity everywhere except in here" I literally said "no shit" out loud). Also, the score was rather generic, I thought. Maybe replace it with a sweeping 80s John Williams-esque sci-fi/fantasy soundtrack.

There is potential for improvement for sure arround the villains but I quite liked the score. When so much of it was Pop-Rock the themes probably didn't get a chance to stick in ones brain.

Additional bonus theory...

Did anybody else get the impression that the film was trying to imply that Jeff Bridges was Starlord's father?

Starman_film_poster.jpg

It all synchs up with the hints in the script and the dates of the film and Bridges would be the perfect age now to play his father in the GOTG sequel!

Please let this be true and not just my insane idea ;-).

Oh my god that's a great theory.

DominicCobb said:
Oh my god that's a great theory.

Was just going to type much the same. Brilliant idea!

Actually maybe the Milano has got more of a Starfury MK2 'Thunderbolt' look about it...

TBolt-RearAngle.jpg

TBolt-Dorsal.jpg

08.jpg

Saw it once on a special Thursday screening and once on Sunday. Both times were great for me, but Thursday had harder audience laughs. All the Guardians were great, despite Vin Diesel probably not being necessarily needed for Groot (though it was nice), as well as Zoe Saldana's acting making up for her character's writing. While the writing for the villains could have been better, I still got some enjoyment out of them. It's nice to see Karen Gillian as Nebula, and despite being a very similar villain to Malekith, Ronan was great because he went over the top, saturday morning cartoon villain, whilst Malekith was more subtle and subdued, and therefore less memorable. Despite having the same "friendship and teamwork themes" as Avengers, the fact that all the main characters are broken losers make the themes actually shine out a bit better than the Avengers. And the way that Ronan was defeated was so hilarious that this film ties with Winter Soldier as the best MCU film, if not surpassing it.

So, think there'll be another Howard the Duck movie? Or maybe a cameo on Agents of SHIELD? I don't expect it to happen, but if it did, that'd be great.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget this chestnut:

16006_671155832955189_271871665069754022_n.jpg

I went to see this this afternoon after three friends raved about it. I must be the only one who didn't like it. I was completely bored most of the time. There's a lot of jokes/humor but none of them made me laugh, or even made me crack a smile. Although Groot came close twice with his reactions. If I was to give this a rating I'd give it a 2 out of 5. One star for the great soundtrack and one star for the likeable characters (Starlord, Rocket, and Groot) and how hot Zoe Saldana looked. Her sister Nebula looked pretty hot too.
I did enjoy the Lloyd Kaufman and Howard The Duck cameos though. Never expected to see Lloyd Kaufman show up in a Marvel movie.

^ Spoilers added not that it spoils much worth seeing anyway IMO ;-)

^I was going to put that under a spoiler tag but didn't think it was really a big deal. The first guy's cameo really surprised me but the second guy didn't. When he came on screen I just thought "Oh cool!".

I was really let down by this one. There's plenty of worse entries in the genre, but this is the first Marvel movie I've walked away from unsatisfied. The tone and pacing were all over the place. Felt very unnatural. A lot of the humor fell flat for me. The action, while sporting very detailed CGI, lacked any punch to it. I felt no emotional connection with any of the characters. It was just hollow, empty. The universe connections were okay, but too few and far between to save this one for me. I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I liked it, I'm looking forward to the dvd because I want to see if the collector owned any of those slugs from Slither, didn't really notice anything referencing James Gunn's other works unless you count the inclusion of Cherry Bomb (which was also used in Lollipop chainsaw.)

To me the pacing never felt off because I think you could tell in the first mins the type of movie it was going to be. DC seem to have taken the more serious approach, but the Disney Marvel verse looks like it just want's to have more fun.

Omaru1982 said:
I liked it, I'm looking forward to the dvd because I want to see if the collector owned any of those slugs from Slither, didn't really notice anything referencing James Gunn's other works unless you count the inclusion of Cherry Bomb (which was also used in Lollipop chainsaw.)

/Film put together a nice list of trivia, easter eggs, references, etc. for the flick.

Yes, they put a Slither slug in there.

(Describing the contents of The Collector's Museum.)

And there are even some fun references from outside of the Marvel universe hidden in this scene, including a space slug from James Gunn’s horror film Slither

No screencaps I could find though.

This video does a pretty good job of covering the same ground as the above article.

SPOILERS IN VIDEO!

Again, no screencap of any Slither slug. So it might or might not actually be there.

Back
Top Bottom