• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Ghostbusters (2016)

Wife and I watched it last night. Both agree that while we don't care what gender they are, a Ghostbusters "soft reboot" or whatever is NOT needed. If the Ghostbusters NEVER existed and this movie was someone's grand idea, I'd be into it.....maybe. What's next? Marty McFly's daughter meeting one of Doc Brown's kids and traveling through time while falling in love? Actually, that kinda sounds like the making of a CW show.

Anyway.....

I was never really into the idea of this film and after seeing the trailer it's not bad, but I told the wifey she may need to find someone else to go with on this one.

The weird thing is that the trailer's announcer says, "30 years ago..." indicating that this is a sequel, but then the plot is a point-for-point remake. So which is it?

It's marketing. Remind people of the movie they loved, then show them that there's a new one. This movie is set in its own universe with no ties to the original, aside from plot/character similarities and fan service callbacks.

Thanks for the clarification, Neg!

The studios really want to have their cake and eat it too. They're depending on our fond memories of the first movie in order to bring us in, but then they won't bother to give us new characters or a new story. If it's just the same plot as the original, why bother going? I already own that one and have seen it many times.

Incidentally, though, some brilliant fan editor took the trailer and turned it into something much more fun-looking:

That was a pretty great fan trailer. Thanks for sharing!

Yep, that ^^ movie looks great!

I predict several fanedits of this one.

That trailer made it look better than it did. Much much better. But I wont be touching this with a 10 metre cattle prod!

wilhelm scream said:
Worst film of the year! Except maybe Batman VS Superman!

I didn't know time travel became possible already. Tell me, future boy, who's the new president of the United States? Which films were nominated for the 89th Academy Awards? Tell me more!

Masirimso17 said:
I didn't know time travel became possible already. Tell me, future boy, who's president of the United States from when you come from? How was Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse? Tell me more!

I'm afraid you will have to wait and see!

ThrowgnCpr said:
That looks really weak, and I'm not surprised. I was totally open to an all-ladies Ghostbusters, but I think McCarthy and Wiig were terrible casting choices. Regardless of everything they kept saying, this looks like a straight-up remake, and a piss-poor one at that.
Agreed; that was awful. I really can't say anything good about it, from the ghost who does not look "peaceful" to Wiig's totally bored voiceover delivery.

When I was on the ship last November, I saw some 20 or so minutes of The Heat, and laughed aloud pretty much throughout. A few days later, I caught a decent chunk of Spy, and didn't laugh at all. I have no idea what McCarthy is like IRL, but she plays the weirdo/slob-with-a-heart role wonderfully, as seen in Bridesmaids and The Heat, and for all I know, she could be a powerful dramatic actress. But character competence might well not work with her comedic style, especially at a PG-13 level.

I respect the hell out of Ghostbusters now, but it's not a movie I saw more than once or twice growing up, so I have no agenda either way WRT this remake. But that preview was b-a-d, plain and simple.

I enjoyed the trailer. I thought it was pretty funny.

First international trailer with a good amount of new footage.

I think I like this trailer better, but it still seems like I'm going to be annoyed by this movie.

Christ, I thought just maybe it was a bad trailer but that international one looks just as unfunny. After 30+seconds-ish of Leslie Jones (Patty), that's enough for me, I don't think I could stand a whole movie of her screaming antics.

The international trailer doesn't make things better. Still seems like it's gonna be a flop.

I laughed. But at Hemsworth... his delivery is so deadpan perfect. The movie will probably be...ok. But a watch and forget. It's a problem trying to follow up a loved classic.

I really wish they would stop using the "you're sexist if you don't like it" card. This just looks plain bad.

^

Spinal-Tap.jpg

First we had the trailer... then we had the fan reaction videos to the trailer... then the fan edit of the trailer... now the fan reaction videos to the fan edit of the trailer begin...

:-D

51BA9k58F1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This minute-long video is insanely more entertaining than either GB trailer.

Back
Top Bottom