• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Frink's Prequel Cutlist Project

Well this is odd...

I've put off FM's EP1 for a while to work on PE's EP2. I'm done with the speeder chase in the beginning and PE has cut out quite a bit of stuff, especially one long section from the middle to near the end. This should have made things go much quicker, but it actually took me quite a while to figure out what he had done.

The power couplings section is all gone, a decision I fully support. He shows Zam going into the building tunnel, and shows Ani and Obi flying past the tunnel. But then there is a massive cut - no discussing how they flew the wrong way, Anakin doesn't jump out of the speeder, he doesn't land on Zam's ship, there is no struggle, there is no crash landing in the street.

After Ani and Obi fly past the tunnel building, we next see Zam run into the nightclub. Next shot is Obi landing the speeder. Now, PE flipped the shot, which makes sense given Obi was never shown switching seats in PE's cut. But, the other seat is empty! Where's Anakin? Who's driving? Next, quick shot of Obi running, then quick cut of Ani running, then Obi runs up to the night club from the opposite direction from where Ani just arrived. With what PE cut, this makes no sense.

Also, PE did cut Obi chiding Ani for losing his lightsaber, which never happened in his cut. But on Ani's last line before entering the club ("I try, Master"), you can clearly see him taking his lightsaber back from Obi.

PE has a great reputation, deservedly so, but this editing surprised me, and frankly, I'm disappointed. Anyone else notice this? Am I being too harsh?

This was one of severals edits that I had a big problem with in Attack of the Phantom (the other two being the deletion of Obi-Wan's "Slave-1" space battle and moving the scene of "Padme falling out of the clone trooper carrier" to the beginning of the Geonosian battle).

PE explained in his commentary why he cut the "Anakin jumps onto Zam's ship" part along with why Obi-Wan had Anakin's lightsaber (supposedly it was because Anakin was in such a hurry to catch Zam, that he left his lightsaber in the speeder), but those edits never sat right with me - there was such a disconnect between what the editior's intentions and what was being shown visually that it took me out of the film and reminded me that this was a fanedit I was watching.

I agree - there is a little leeway in fanediting since for the most part you can only work with the stuff Lucas shot, but if the editor has to explain something to the audience (i.e. it happened offscreen), then that particular scene has probably failed.

Once I realized that PE flipped the scene where Obi wan lands the speeder, and that no one was in the driver's seat, i was very disappointed.

Glad to hear you're keeping the Fett/Obi-wan space battle. Hopefully you're cutting Boba's little laughs and poor dialogue (Get him! Fire! Watch out! etc. etc.)

blick57 said:
Glad to hear you're keeping the Fett/Obi-wan space battle. Hopefully you're cutting Boba's little laughs and poor dialogue (Get him! Fire! Watch out! etc. etc.)
There's a video preview of my edited "Slave-1" sequence on the first page of my Twilight/Black Knight thread.

Nice! That works really well.

Hey FatherMerrin, I sent you a PM regarding your EP1...

Update - almost finished with PE's EP2 - about a half hour left. Should be finished in the next week or so, and then on to FM's EP1.

Hey Throw, just a reminder that the cutlist for Slumberland's EP2 is available if you don't mind getting on FE.org. Thanks.

blick57 said:
Hey Throw, just a reminder that the cutlist for Slumberland's EP2 is available if you don't mind getting on FE.org. Thanks.

got it. its on the website now.

MagnoliaFan's EP1 and EP2 edits would probably be very helpful, since many later edits are derived from his EP1 edit.

Would love to do these. However, I've only been able to locate edits through FE.org, and so I don't have access to them. :x

You should be able to find them on torrent sites, but last time I checked, the edits had little to no seeders left. I believe that the only versions available were the low-quality AVI versions (Magnoliafan had some issues/concerns with putting his DVD versions online, I guess).

i have the SL DVDs of his V1 edits. i'll be writing reviews and making them available soon.

do you prefer AVI or DVD? i'll be doing both, but i guess you guys can decide in what order :)

the DVDs were created from the avis, if I remember correctly. Magnoliafan always said he would someday release true DVD versions, but from what I know this never happened.

no, these DVDs look to be good quality.

also, i just found this quote from magnoliafan while looking for information :)
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... #post67224

"The dvd's were ripped from dvd and edited.
They're in dvd quality. They weren't sourced from divx.
Though the DL versions coming up in the future will look even better. "

boon, you must have been thinking of the DL versions (which would probably look better)... i will have complete information when these are reviewed and posted.

rikter only seeded avi versions of magnoliafan's SW edits, but i did a trade with him ~2004 and included were these two edits in their full DVD5 glory.

Hopefully, the quality of the edits are improved over what was presented in the AVI versions (and I don't just mean the audio/video quality, I'm refering to the actual edits/changes themselves).

joebshmoe said:
no, these DVDs look to be good quality.

also, i just found this quote from magnoliafan while looking for information :)
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... #post67224

"The dvd's were ripped from dvd and edited.
They're in dvd quality. They weren't sourced from divx.
Though the DL versions coming up in the future will look even better. "

boon, you must have been thinking of the DL versions (which would probably look better)... i will have complete information when these are reviewed and posted.

rikter only seeded avi versions of magnoliafan's SW edits, but i did a trade with him ~2004 and included were these two edits in their full DVD5 glory.
wow! really wow! It seems you have a true rarity there. sharing is highly appreciated.

i've started uploading the DVD5 last night, but it will take me about 4-5 days to upload. (my upload sucks hard)

the SL DVD5 is not the BEST quality. it is obviously re-encoded down to SL from a better source (blocking in dark scenes and slight pixelation), but is definitely not sourced from a low quality AVI.

i also started encoding new high quality AVIs (xvid+ac3) - these will be a huge upgrade from the originals.

Back
Top Bottom