• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Finest Hour. A Dunkirk/Darkest Hour supercut, from Maple Films

I would also like to see an attempt at matching the Dunkirk footage to Darkest hour footage.

This edit is interesting cause I wasn't huge fan of either movies, but combined, it could be something special.

Ok here's an update on this edit. Several of you have suggested that I try matching the color palette between the two films a little more. So I have done just that! Generally speaking, Darkest Hour has a hazy, desaturated look with diffusion/light bloom spilling around the edges of subjects. The first couple images below show what I'm talking about.

[img=480x270]
Dunkirk on the other hand is sharp and heavily contrasted, with little to no light bloom or haze in its images. Since it is easier to add diffusion/bloom to an image than it is to remove it, I decided to try matching Dunkirk's color/lighting to Darkest Hour instead of the other way around. That being said, I still color graded some of Darkest Hour too as several scenes were too flat and desaturated to even match the graded Dunkirk footage. Here are some examples...the originals are on the left and the graded shots are on the right.

[img=480x270]
[img=480x270]
[img=480x270]
[img=480x270]

Man, the difference there is striking. The regraded Dunkirk footage looks really good.

eldusto84 said:
Here is a YouTube clip of the final scene in my edit. It's a combination of both films' endings. Enjoy!

Late to the game on this incredible sounding edit.  I would like to offer up a minor criticism with the ending.  Everything was sending chills down my spine in a way that neither movie did, but the transition into the end titles music was a bit jarring after this beautiful orchestral rendition of Elgar's Nimrod.  What about having the Nimrod theme end, insert sound of people cheering for Churchill for a few seconds and then bring in that ending theme?  I really feel like there should be a little break between the pieces of music as opposed to back to back.  Maybe cut out the first few seconds of strings and have the music start with the pulsing sound?  Just my two cents anyway.  Loving this whole idea for an edit!

Was I watching Dunkirk or Miami Vice at the end?

The re-grade is looking good. Adding the glow/haze was a terrific idea.

i will definitely download this again, once the new grading is done.

Here are screenshots from the black & white version. There are too many to post individually but here is a gallery link.

Here are a couple of highlights. Black and white really makes the film feel like an old war epic, like The Longest Day!

[img=480x270] [img=480x270]
[img=480x270] [img=480x270]
[img=480x270]https://i.imgur.com/7r7Ag3H.jpg[/img] [img=480x270]https://i.imgur.com/2hXBD9u.jpg[/img]

The latest regrade looks terrific, although I would vote for even less of that green/yellow palette. I'm intrigued as to how the color version will finally look like but I'm more convinced b/w will be the winner. Would you consider making the b/w more grainy maybe, reminiscent of 1958 Dunkirk? Took a liberty of doing a few tests...

c1Ov7Cb.jpg

8d9XMXN.jpg

91Jig2H.jpg

H32Y9v5.jpg

vZ4USab.jpg

I loved this edit and can't wait to watch the black and white version. Loving Plissken's idea of adding a little more grain to give it a more filmic feel.

That black and white is stunning, I'm so hyped for this edit :D

Last Impressions said:
I loved this edit and can't wait to watch the black and white version. Loving Plissken's idea of adding a little more grain to give it a more filmic feel.

Dang it guys, I had just completed the rendering of the black and white version and then I saw requests to see some film grain added! It's a great idea and I've decided to implement it. Now I have to re-render again, lol. 

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. It's making this edit even better. Now who wants to see the subway scene reinserted? Anyone....??

uh, sorry I didn't chime in earlier. effort much appreciated! give it a good bitrate :)

eldusto84 said:
Last Impressions said:

Dang it guys, I had just completed the rendering of the black and white version and then I saw requests to see some film grain added! It's a great idea and I've decided to implement it. Now I have to re-render again, lol. 

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. It's making this edit even better. Now who wants to see the subway scene reinserted? Anyone....??

Lol maybe we should do a poll???

eldusto84 said:
who wants to see the subway scene reinserted? Anyone....??

I quite liked the subway scene in the original movie but wouldn't it slow down the action in an edit like this?

TM2YC said:
eldusto84 said:
who wants to see the subway scene reinserted? Anyone....??

I quite liked the subway scene in the original movie but wouldn't it slow down the action in an edit like this?

Oh most definitely, it was one of the first scenes I removed. I’ve had several people ask me if I took that specific scene out too...it wasn’t the most authentic.

The B+W has been exported with added film grain. However, after previewing the video file, the grain looks unacceptably poor against the bitrate that I encoded it at (6mbps, with a 2.5 hour video around 7.5GB). Right now it just makes the images look muddled and pixelated, especially in brighter scenes with camera movement (the aerial dogfights are bad).

So my next two options are to either dramatically increase the bitrate (resulting in a larger file size), or to export a B+W version without the grain. Personally I would prefer to do the latter, and then possibly create a grain version for a high-quality Bluray ISO. 

Any thoughts? I've always tried to find a balance between file size and image quality with my video exports.

Back
Top Bottom