• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Finest Hour. A Dunkirk/Darkest Hour supercut, from Maple Films

I always prefer the highest quality no matter the size. So if that is an option I always prefer it

i also hope there is a color version also,
but higher bitrate is best option.

bitrate high af :D 
for a 2,5 hrs b/w grainy movie I'd go with full BD25 at least.

the start of a cover for Finest Hour.
right now i am stuck at what to add to the front ( ideally a pic of Oldman as Churchill)
but so far that has not been working well.

4.jpg

jswert123456, don't remember much German soldiers being prominently shown in either film, but this one kind of looks like he dropped in from WWI, maybe because that weird helmet spike, idk...

i dont know bout history, i was simply following a tutorial for a drunkirk poster.
sorry if i messed up.
i went back and looked at the original image and the image is called ww2 stock

After several botched exports, I now have a (hopefully) final version of this edit available. And thanks to suggestions from some of you, here are some of the improvements and changes from the first cut I shared here. 

• Fixed some poor audio transitions.
  • Color corrected both Dunkirk and Darkest Hour to match each other visually. This is a big change.
  • Created an entirely separate black and white version of the edit, with added film grain. Also big.
  • Addition of a few Darkest Hour scenes to help flesh Churchill out as a character. Namely, an early scene with his wife and a couple extra scenes between him and the King.
  • Higher bitrate exports of both color/monochrome versions.
I am really excited for these changes and glad that I didn't just settle on my earlier cut. The monochrome version isn't for everyone, but it does make the cinematography from both films even more stunning. Definitely worth checking out.

I know I'm probably extremely late to post for this fan-edit, but it may be useful to someone else who makes a version based around Dunkirk. There is a French film, Weekend at Dunkirk (Week-end à Zuydcoote) made in 1964, that is based on the Dunkirk evacuation from a French soldier's perspective. It has some really nice beach scenes that would go some way towards solving some of the criticisms of the Dunkirk film, notably the lack of French forces and how clean the beaches are. Unfortunately, I think the film has only been released on DVD, so it may take some editing magic to blend scenes with Dunkirk.

Anyway, here is a fan-edited trailer for the film with Dunkirk audio over the top (not made by me): 

There are some great shots in that film, but in trying to match it with Nolan's Dunkirk you will run into several issues. Mainly being the fact that there will be a visual disconnect between the respective films' depiction of Dunkirk's beach. If you establish Nolan's vision as the primary one, it will seem odd to cut to beach scenes that look nothing like the ones in his film. Not to mention the fact that there is no character overlap!

I ran into this problem when I was considering inserting the Dunkirk sequence from Atonement into this edit. It's a beautiful scene but wouldn't match Nolan's Dunkirk depiction at all. Thanks for sharing however!

eldusto84, it's been a few months now... would you regard this edit as Complete?  Or are you still taking feedback and making changes?  (I'm not one to watch yet, as I just watched Darkest Hour about a month ago so I'm kinda good for a bit, just curious!)

Thank you for reminding me! Life has happened for me these past several months and I haven't been able to wrap this project up quite yet. The edit itself is done but I simply need to create DVD/Bluray ISOs and artwork! Would love to know if anyone here would be willing to take a hack at some design. Otherwise I'll just chip away at it myself.

I can't help with the design but i'm looking forward to the bluray. Are you doing both the monochrome and black & white as bluray. I hope so as i can't choose between the both of them , although i think the monochrome has the edge as my preference. I'll get my 2 disc amaray case ready :)

mnkykungfu said:
eldusto84, it's been a few months now... would you regard this edit as Complete?  Or are you still taking feedback and making changes?  (I'm not one to watch yet, as I just watched Darkest Hour about a month ago so I'm kinda good for a bit, just curious!)

Last Impressions said:
I can't help with the design but i'm looking forward to the bluray. Are you doing both the monochrome and black & white as bluray. I hope so as i can't choose between the both of them , although i think the monochrome has the edge as my preference. I'll get my 2 disc amaray case ready :)

Yes I will include the monochrome version on a second disc!

eldusto84 said:
mnkykungfu said:

Last Impressions said:

Yes I will include the monochrome version on a second disc!

Thanks Mate ..my last message didn't make sense...of course i meant Monochrome and colour versions  ;)

Wow...I've been off the grid for over a year on this. I thought 2019 was crazy for me, and then 2020 happened! Anyways, I FINALLY have found the time to pick back up on Finest Hour and see this thing through to the finish line. For starters, here is a poster that I designed for it! I will be modifying it to use as the DVD/Bluray cover. Would love to have any and all feedback on this.

r7ybrBD.jpg

7/20 UPDATE.

I've been working like crazy to get a Bluray together. It's been fun though! Definitely missed designing and creating a proper disc-based release. This will be a two-disc set, with the first disc containing the fan edit in color along with some special features. The second disc will contain the black & white version of the fan edit. Here are some images of the box/disc art, along with screenshots of the menus. The main menu has a motion background.

5m3b3I3.jpg
RHIrxDQ.jpg
GaFTD7g.jpg
aeQYwI4.jpg
ZZIwdhv.jpg
SvYbmNy.jpg

Nice to see you on here again.

I'm loving the artwork...i can't wait to have this two disc set on my shelf. I urge other forum Members to check this edit out as it's in my top 10 favourite fan-edits of all time...i have a particular fondness for the monochrome version...but will alternate my viewing experiences. This along with TM2YC Blade Runner regrade are highly anticipated.

Alright! It's taken nearly two years, but I've finally managed to make the Bluray for Finest Hour! What started as simple procrastination turned into laziness, lack of motivation and ultimately dread that I'd have to get around to doing it eventually. But here we are!

As with my previous fan edits (The Hobbit and Rogue One), I've taken great care to make a high-quality Bluray. The picture quality is high-bitrate HD...in fact both ISO files are over 30gb so you'll need dual-layer discs to burn them. Sound quality is equally superb, although Adobe recently removed the ability to export 5.1 audio from its Creative Suite, robbing me the chance to export Finest Hour in digital surround sound. I've created custom menus, added some fun and relevant Bonus Features, and of course designed the box and disc art for those who are willing to go the extra mile for a physical copy. The first disc contains the feature in color, and the second disc contains the feature in black & white. 

I'll be submitting to the Academy soon!

Back
Top Bottom