• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Finest Hour. A Dunkirk/Darkest Hour supercut, from Maple Films

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Question: are you removing the scene of the soldiers in the trawler, which to my mind is both absurd from a rational standpoint and arguably insulting to the French? :)

I have cut down the trawler scene. It was too drawn out and had issues that are brought up in the post you shared. So Gibson (the French soldier) is never actually revealed to be French...he's just a scared kid who never talks. There's no arguing over who should jump out of the trawler to lower the weight either.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have just finished watching this edit and it really does work as a whole, whether or not it will be my go to version i am still undecided. I do like Dunkirk as a stand alone piece and would love to see someone tackle a chronological edit as that aspect really worked in this Maple Films edit. A true test of its success would be for someone who hasn't seen both of the films to give it a viewing - i think i am just to familiar with both films.

The ending is absolutely stunning and very powerful the way you cut Churchill's speech with Fionn Whitehead's character reciting the newspaper article was masterful and very emotional ...well done

I also loved the overlap in Zimmer's score and the scene when Lily James talking to Churchill about the death of her brother. That really worked and was very emotive - much more so than the theatrical version.

From a technical stand point  - I did notice a couple of audio transitions that could have been left a few seconds longer, the main being Churchill's peace sign into the beach at around the 42 minute mark. When the Frenchman and Whitehead's characters are looking for a soldier to stretcher.

i also noticed the sound was a bit off at the 52.23 min mark - soldiers abandoning boat to Churchill's Monday lunch with the King. I would have hard cut the sound but that is easy for me to say as i don't know what audio you were dealing with...It maybe impossible to do.

The opening and closing credits are very professional , however, the opening credits are very silent and i would personally raise the volume a tad.
Another personal choice and in no way does it take away from the edit is i would have opened the Dunkirk scene with Fionn Whitehead running from the French soldiers barricade onto the beach..i would have cut the scene's of the soldiers coming under fire in the street by the Sniper.

All in all this is a highly recommended edit and a thoroughly enjoyable and alternate experience.

I watched a 4gb download on a 120" projector screen and it looked impressive - however i did miss the experience of 5.1 surround soundtrack but we can't have everything in life :)
I'm looking forward to a high bitrate bluray :)

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much for watching the edit, and more importantly for the specific feedback! I am going to fix as many of those points you've brought up as possible.

Churchill's peace sign into the beach probably can't be fixed...in Darkest Hour the scene after that was equally abrupt so there's not much to fade away from. I can work on the 52-minute transition into lunch with the King.

The opening credits volume was in fact the level that Darkest Hour was set at...it's just a gradual ramp up but I agree that it's a bit quiet. 

I also just realized that I gave Kristin Scott Thomas a hyphen in the credits, when she doesn't have one. Oops. Speaking of her, did you feel that her cameo felt odd? Would it be useful to see her even briefly earlier in the edit?

I absolutely intend to make a Chronological Cut of Dunkirk after this, along with a high bitrate Bluray ISO of both edits.

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
I absolutely intend to make a Chronological Cut of Dunkirk after this, along with a high bitrate Bluray ISO of both edits.

I am curious to check out the supercut, but even more so the chronological cut of Dunkirk. I thought Dunkirk was excellent, but the non-chronological scenes really didn't work for me.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched this last night. Absolutely superb job. By mid point I was completely immersed & forgot I was watching an edit. No notable technical issues that I noticed, though I thought the colour correction didn't match up during the finale when we were cutting between churchills speech, the boats docking & tom hardy on the beach- the colouring in the Westminster scenes just seemed a little flat in comparison. Regardless, this will be my preferred means of viewing the two movies going forward & the blu rays will remain on the shelf.

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a YouTube clip of the final scene in my edit. It's a combination of both films' endings. Enjoy!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Gave me chills :). Audio wise it's perfection, video-editing wise it's perfection too, the only thing that lets it down is the dramatic and obvious visual difference between the grading of the two sources. It would probably be easier to grade DH, to match Dunkirk. Or making the whole edit black & white would instantly solve the problem and make it look more period.

I probably wouldn't give myself the biggest credit at the end. We might put a lot of time and effort in to making these edits but it's nothing to the what the actual film-crews put in. It's a matter of personal taste, and a small issue though.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've thought it would be a great idea combining these two as well. Can't wait to see what you've made of it!
That clip looks great btw! Gave me chills as well!

greatnoggini

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I definitely got a reaction out of that ending that neither of the individual movies gave me on their own. Outstanding!

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Or making the whole edit black & white would instantly solve the problem and make it look more period.

YEEEEES

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Gave me chills :). Audio wise it's perfection, video-editing wise it's perfection too, the only thing that lets it down is the dramatic and obvious visual difference between the grading of the two sources. It would probably be easier to grade DH, to match Dunkirk. Or making the whole edit black & white would instantly solve the problem and make it look more period.

I actually did color the Darkest Hour footage a bit for this scene...the shadows are bluer to match Dunkirk a bit more. The real trouble is the dramatic difference in lighting that can’t really be fixed by color correction. Dunkirk has a very natural look to it, while Darkest Hour is much more stylized. The parliament scene looks like a painting instead of how it should actually look in real life! 

Black and white huh? That’s a good idea, I will test that on a scene or two!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:

Please try it with that end montage, I'd like to see that.

I had a go at trying to make a shot from the Churchil speech look Dunkirk-ish. Not at all easy to do. This was the best I could come up with after lots of tinkering (hmmm, not sure though):

44199889411_65844c5372_c.jpg

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
eldusto84 said:

Please try it with that end montage, I'd like to see that.

I had a go at trying to make a shot from the Churchil speech look Dunkirk-ish. Not at all easy to do. This was the best I could come up with after lots of tinkering (hmmm, not sure though):

Ok so I added a black and white filter and it looks realllly good. It does help merge the two films visually, and makes everything look and feel like a historical documentary. 

Now I need to decide whether I'd like to offer the color or B+W version to viewers, or both lol. Either way, thank you for the suggestion TM2YC!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed that. I liked Darkest Hour quite a bit more than Dunkirk, but didn’t think I’d ever revisit either. That clip is causing me to consider purchasing them so I can watch this.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
I actually did color the Darkest Hour footage a bit for this scene...the shadows are bluer to match Dunkirk a bit more.

Wouldn't it be better to try to alter the "Dunkirk" footage to match the "Darkest Hour" footage, rather than the other way around?

Fan-regrader KingKong650 regraded "Dunkirk", and to my eyes, his version looks significantly better than the Blu-ray. Maybe you could alter the color of the "Dunkirk" footage similarly to how he did (and maybe add some more contrast or some other such adjustment so as to more closely match the more stylized lighting of "Darkest Hour").

Here are some before and after comparisons of his version (the first of each pair of screenshots is from the Blu-ray, the second is from the regrade).

cRxxykn.jpg

Z41dOum.jpg

lPFYXfU.jpg

MHcasEV.jpg

R4k6bvQ.jpg

P1ozisX.jpg

SkywalkerFan01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
Now I need to decide whether I'd like to offer the color or B+W version to viewers, or both lol. Either way, thank you for the suggestion TM2YC!

If I had to choose between one or the other, then I would choose color, but both would be ideal. ;)

hbenthow said:
Fan-regrader KingKong650 regraded "Dunkirk", and to my eyes, his version looks significantly better than the Blu-ray. Maybe you could alter the color of the "Dunkirk" footage similarly to how he did (and maybe add some more contrast or some other such adjustment so as to more closely match the more stylized lighting of "Darkest Hour").

KK's regrade of this movie has been my go-to way to watch the movie since he released it, I actually plan on burning it to a BD-25 and replacing the official BD on my shelf. So something like this would definitely be ideal as well.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That grade is less green but also too pink. A 50-50 mix of the two, with slight saturation boost would be good.

@"eldusto84" please say if we are all getting off topic, with this grade discussion.

MovieMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d prefer a color version my self. I also really like KKs regrade

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to agree with TM2YC on that grade...it's a little too pinkish/purple. I suppose I can make a monochrome version available as an alternative to the "official" color version.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with hbenthow, that it's probably better to re-grade Dunkirk. That said, oof, some of KingKong650's regrades are absolutely terrible. Those images are incredibly pink. It shouldn't be too difficult to dial Dunkirk down to a more natural color with just some light adjustments. You might do that as a first step before converting to monochrome anyway.

At any rate, when you do re-grade something, make sure that things that are supposed to be neutral are actually neutral (not pink)... Even just a quick tweak of the color balance sliders would go along way. Example:

XABDu1d.jpg

MN184mv.jpg

oMYdEPT.jpg

Top Bottom