• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Disney buys Lucasfilm!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

Wow, some of this this is odd now, considering the events unfolding.

Asked about the possibility of someone else making Star Wars films, Lucas said, "Probably not, it's my thing."

Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX. Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else? Lucas: No. They will not. Q: So this trilogy ends it? Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.

In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX.

In 2012, as part of an interview with The New York Times, discussing negative fan reactions to the prequel trilogy and to alterations made to the original trilogy, Lucas said, regarding further Star Wars films: "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

That was 13 years ago(the first quote). Disney flashes the cash and George then thinks "Well, someone else can take the heat now." While he's off making some small ass film about native americans in WW2.

I have an awful feeling that I will remember today for the rest of my life. :?

"Grandpa, where were you when The Maker let the franchise go?"

Cautiously optimistic, here. If Lucas is only a "creative consultant" on new Star Wars films, we may be freed of his hypersensitive, petulant side which has been such a negative influence on the films since (in my estimation) Return of the Jedi and Lucas' falling out with Gary Kurtz.

If we see new films helmed by a director (and writers and producers) with a genuine affection for the property (rather than Lucas' weird love/hate relationship with it), this could have the potential to be a very good thing for the series indeed.

Fingers crossed.

From a purely business-related POV, I think it's a very savvy move by both George and Disney. GL has wanted out for over a year now, grumbling a lot about retiring when Red Tails came out. He handed day-to-day control over to Kathleen Kennedy, and she seems like a good person who "gets it," at least where Indy is concerned; I've never heard anyone blame her or her husband for any of the bad choices in any of the Indy movies.

Disney gets a lot out of this, obviously, but it's also not like it comes out of nowhere. ILM worked on the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and Star Wars and Indy have both had presences at Disney theme parks for twenty years or more. And, in one fell swoop, Disney gets to replace what they had hoped would be their Star Wars, John Carter, with the real thing (which, yes, was inspired in part by John Carter, but I'm speaking in terms of it being an, if not the, influential film franchise).

As far as Star Wars Episode VII, I wonder whether they will return to GL's original plan, which he has denied for years though it's public record, of reuniting the original cast from IV-VI. They might adapt some of the better-received books, about which I know little, or they might go in a very different direction.

Oh, and as far as Ford being too old goes, he's still in great shape, far better than Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher, though obviously that can change for any or all of them. And sorry to report, TMBTM, but I saw a photo of him the other day where his hair has grown back ;-)

Just please God no Jonathan Hales writing! And actually, Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, who wrote the POTC movies, have already shown in that and Mask of Zorro that they can write Lawrence Kasdan-esque banter, which could be good for both SW and Indy, obviously...

One thing that does intrigue me is the possibility of prequel series or spinoffs, particularly in following young Han and/or reviving Young Indy. As some of you who follow the KOTCSJTF thread know, there is a young actor in Toronto named Anthony Ingruber I have been following for some time now because a) he is one of the best impressionists I have ever heard and b) he is the spitting image of young Harrison Ford (all he lacks is the scar). He does a very, very good HF, and he has worked on a Disney made-for-TV movie before. I think he would be terrific in the role or as Han and Leia's son, if they go that route...

Anyway, it looks like I'm very much for this move. I'm not, not exactly. I just think that it makes good business sense for both GL and Disney, and it might lead to some good movies too. Or not. But at least we have something to hope for and, if necessary when the time comes, to grumble about and make (dare I say it?) ridiculous...:)

Too lazy to go back and find the link, but apparently Paramount owns Indy distribution rights, so it's not quite a 100% handover there...

It's unlikey, but could they release the original theatrical versions now?

I doubt they'd step on George's toes like that, even if there isn't some clause explicitly preventing them from doing so, which, I wouldn't put it past him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did release the theatricals now. New Line has done quite well with separate releases for Theatrical and Extended editions of Lord of the Rings - Disney seems to be on the ball with moneymaking decisions, so hopefully, it should be a no-brainer.

Other than the Thrawn Trilogy, are there any other books that could be well adapted for an episode 7?

Family guy did a trilogy parody.....

Dare i ask if Mickey, Minnie and goofy will be dawning the lightsabers for an epic war of the stars

juice4z0 said:
Family guy did a trilogy parody.....

Dare i ask if Mickey, Minnie and goofy will be dawning the lightsabers for an epic war of the stars

donald-duck-pocket-114.jpg

There are sooo many questions raised by this, and it is not just about episode 7 and beyond. For example:
-What happens now with the Clone Wars TV series? It is on the rival Cartoon Network, sooo are we looking at the possibility of cancellation here?
-What about all the Comics? Dark Horse has been making all the Star Wars comics for the last 20 years. Are we looking at the possibility of canceling all their series and Marvel taking control over star wars comics?
-Will the upcoming video games affected in any way?
-What about the 3d releases of the old star wars films? Will those stop?

I wasn't sure where to go after Revenge of the Ridiculousness, but now I know...Ridiculous Episode 7, baby!

TV's Frink said:
I wasn't sure where to go after Revenge of the Ridiculousness, but now I know...Ridiculous Episode 7, baby!

A New Ridiculousness (Kinda Lame)
The Ridiculousness Strikes Back
The Return of the Ridiculousness

It would obviously be A Ridiculous Hope, but I don't know that I'm going to do the OT.

This could either be really good and continue the franchise or could be a huge bomb , Phantom Menance anyone. I mean
bomb as it shouldnt have been done.
Lucas only be a consulatant could keep it from having to much of that Lucas touch that sometimes ruins things.

jswert123456 said:
This could either be really good and continue the franchise or could be a huge bomb , Phantom Menance anyone. I mean
bomb as it shouldnt have been done.
Lucas only be a consulatant could keep it from having to much of that Lucas touch that sometimes ruins things.

Well, it could use a slight Lucas touch to maintain a Star Wars feel. I'm just hoping that Lindelof doesn't get a chance to write a script

Back
Top Bottom