• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Disney buys Lucasfilm!

So Avengers 2, a potential Justice League movie and Episode 7 during the same Summer? Daaaaamn!

adywanuk said:
If true, this could spell the end of any Star Wars related fan edits:-(

Mmm, yeah, Disney could be less kind than Lucas concidering fanedits...

I wonder if they have any plans to release the original unaltered theatrical cuts of the OT. And does this now mean that the Lucasfilms films are going to only be available for a limited time and then thrown into the Disney Vault like all of Disney's other films?

Doesn't Disney just lock up its animated movies? They havent tried that with any marvel titles yet

Merged threads.

Can they legally issue a cease and desist order?

I can legally issue a cease and desist order to you to stop talking. All it is is a piece of paper saying "I will sue you if you don't stop." Disney can go after faneditors individually, and hosting like rapidshare, but fanedit.org should be safe. Once a fanedit leaks onto the internet (usenet) they can't really stop it. I wouldn't be too worried except.... if adywan gets scared and doesn't release.

Rumor has it the OT has already entered "The Vault"

Just digesting this.

Initially - I was a bit 'noooooooooo', but then on reflection, I'm not pleased with George's prequel trilogy. He didn't really do any favours for Star Wars at all. So, if there is a Star Wars 7, slated for 2015 - then I'm cautious, but not completely against it. He probably won't write, definitely won't direct. So it will be interesting to see where it goes. Disney did do Pirates and Tron. Tron : Uprising is awesome stuff. Disney owns Marvel right?

Could be famous last words, but I don't think they could mess Star Wars up more than the man that created it.

a person can edit anything thing they want all day long, can't they? the legal issue shows it's many sharp toothed face when you try to share it.
which only means people will dig deeper underground and start using huge file transfer email services like dropbox or *gasp* snail mail.
private communication will become the new bread and butter just like file locker sites were in the old days.
(i joined here in 2011. look at me talk about the "old days" :p)
that's just my opinion. but didn't disney also buy the right to Tokuma Shoten (someone please know the details)? and they can't touch any creative control. disney is just the check writer and profit collector.
but as soon as something stops making money, they bail (Mars Needs Moms).

Playing devils advocate here for a second but are we artists or distributors/promoters? If Disney were to go Librarian poo and start throwing around C&D's it just means we fall back on PIF and snail mail trading for SW media/edits.

Which gets back to the artists question; we can still practice our art on these titles just not distribute them so casually as we're used to.

Like I said playing devils advocate.

e2a: Looks like bailey kinda beat me to it.

so does Disney now own the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise?

leeroy said:
so does Disney now own the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise?

I believe they own all LucasFilm property. This includes Willow and Howard the Duck.

That belongs to Paramount, doesn't it? Does it mean that 20th Century Fox can't distribute SW any more? Do those rights, and even the rights to Indy, now reside at Disney, or do they stay with the original holders?

i believe paramount and fox only distribute the films and have no creative control other the films

Surely Lucasfilm owned Indy?

EDIT : they do. Paramount distributed.

When The Walt Disney Company announced that it will acquire Lucasfilm on October 30, 2012, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that Indiana Jones was not factored into the equation during the deal, because Paramount Pictures still has a contract in place for future films.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Indiana-Jones-Return-Disney-33838.html

So how did Disney get away with making new Star Wars movies? While 20th Century Fox handled all six previous movies in that sci-fi universe, apparently they don’t have the rights for any future films.

PS: If anybody wants this for a fanedit idea. > >

As for the merger, I think it is awesome that Buena Vista (Now Walt Disney Studios), Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilms can now share things like ILM & Skywalker Ranch AND it brings an opportunity for crossover movies. Think Incredibles & Avengers & Toy Story Toys & the McDucks & Guardians of the Galaxy vs The Empire & Cruella de Vil & Maleficent & the Queen (Snow White) & Scar & Hades & Jafar.

wabid said:
Think Incredibles & Avengers & Toy Story Toys & the McDucks & Guardians of the Galaxy vs The Empire & Cruella de Vil & Maleficent & the Queen (Snow White) & Scar & Hades & Jafar.

With Ewoks. Then I'd see it.

Back
Top Bottom