• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar"

Still, as I said in the other thread, it's all McGuffin and of little relevance to me. Do I really need to know what fabric is Batman's cape made of, or what was the Tumbler originally designed for? No, knowing that Wayne Enterprises has the money and the technology to make awesome stuff is all I need, so let's move on.

Dwight Fry said:
Still, as I said in the other thread, it's all McGuffin and of little relevance to me. Do I really need to know what fabric is Batman's cape made of, or what was the Tumbler originally designed for? No, knowing that Wayne Enterprises has the money and the technology to make awesome stuff is all I need, so let's move on.

well honestly i really liked that aspect and it probably has to be seen as a product of the franchise because the other installments went into so little details about how wayne does what he does that it was the other extreme. but to be honest i catch myself imagining how the tumbler might work and the cape etc. and that was only begins because it established all that. the batpod in dark knight or the bat are very briefly introduced but yeah i am always interested in technical things in movies and love if the filmmaker at least try to put it in context. I have much more problem with flying helicarriers from an organisation i know nothing about.

There's also the running "Character is behaving like this because of this-and-this" speeches. Either show instead of telling, or let us make sense of what we see without having to tell us what to think. Don't verbalize the plot points.

Dwight Fry said:
There's also the running "Character is behaving like this because of this-and-this" speeches. Either show instead of telling, or let us make sense of what we see without having to tell us what to think. Don't verbalize the plot points.

Dwight I think Nolan discussion between us is like fundamentalist war... both know the other side is completely wrong :p

Dwight Fry said:
I myself quite like that level of detail... I just wish as much care were put into fleshing out the characters. If Nolan managed to do both, the results could be quite impressive.

Sunarep said:
Dwight I think Nolan discussion between us is like fundamentalist war... both know the other side is completely wrong :p

But it's still fun. :-D

Dwight Fry said:
But it's still fun. :-D

totally...
just an anecdote from me:
right now i am reading isaac asimov and arthur c. clarke. I find asimov to be a great storyteller but he is in my opinion the christopher nolan of the authors i am reading - to him it is concept first. his characters engage in endless discussion about the pros and cons and often don't behave or talk like real characters. Of course it would be great to have an asimov with characters pulled out of a first rate drama yet when i read asimov i am not looking for the dramatic concepts but more i am looking for his observations and rumbling philosophies.

i see nolan the same way - it is an onslaught of concepts and structures that i love to explore even though he might be missing something that people consider necessary for storytelling/entertainment

then arthus c clarke is just the overkill... it is just the hardest onslaught of dry sci fi - that is awesome but i honestly wonder if I ever enjoy READING clarke... despite enjoying his fantastic ideas and being grateful that he put this idea in my mind

David Lynch doesn't even know what his movies are supposed to mean.

TV's Frink said:

oh man I can't wait for what's gonna happen next!
:popcorn:

TV's Frink said:

And how's that a bad thing? His narrative is often the narrative of dreams (and nightmares), which take a life on their own beyond reasoning.

Sorry to disappoint you, Sun. I save my FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU- reactions for Nolan. :p

Alright, jumping in to this conversation kind of late, so I think it would be easy if I just summed up all my points on Nolan by saying this: I agree with Sunarep.

As for Lynch, I actually really like that he doesn't know what his movies mean. I agree with Dwight on that one. Lynch is a pretty good filmmaker. I enjoy his work as well as Nolan's. But Nolan's is much better.

Dwight, just a thought: You may not be the ideal audience member for Interstellar. ;-)

Tom, you forgot to say "My work here is done" and fly away. ;)

I'm with Dwight. I think part of the angst comes from how fans of Nolan preach how deep his movies are, and turn them into philosophical explorations like 2001 etc.

The thing I don't like is how much sense the movies make the first time through. I like being confused and having everything clicking at the end. It makes watching it again more fun. Think fight club. Inception holds your hand the entire time never allowing the movie to get ahead of you. It means you can catch most of it the first time, but upon repeat viewings it gets quite annoying. I tend to enjoy Nolan movies the most on their first or second viewing. The more I watch them the less I like them.

The Prestige is the opposite. The entire third of the movie you're going "it can't be scifi, there must be an explanation." Then it ends and you are pissed. "Seriously, it was sci-fi?" it tricked me. I wanted to believe there was an explanation, but in the end it was magic. So I hated the movie the first time, it felt like a cop out. But on repeat viewing I realized that's what makes it amazing, it's the one Nolan movie that really pulls the wool over your eyes. Its all about slight of hand. It makes you believe there is something deeper going on, but there isn't. The simplest solution (scifi/a double) is the correct one, you just don't want to believe. Memento does to some extent too, but leaves you feeling satisfied, not cheated.

So I understand the argument that Nolan needs to tell and not show, to achieve mainstream blockbusters, but in some sense that makes him a sellout. He trades artistic integrity for popularity. (It's funny that we decry Lucas for the same thing.) I kind of hope he is big enough now that he can do his thing, without appealing to everyone. I just wish he explained less directly, and made you watch it over and over to fully understand what's going on. His latest movies lack any subtlety, everything hits you over the head, making sure you catch what just happened. It's ok to watch a movie the first time and say "I didn't understand that." Donnie Darko is the classic example. The Sixth Sense and Fight Club both have a "return your seats to an upright position" moment, that when used as a context for the rest of the movie completely flips your interpretation of everything that has preceded it. As soon as you finish the movies for the first time, you want to watch it again, right away. That is what I want from a Nolan time travel movie. Like Primer, I want it to be something that forces you to watch it a second time while it is fresh in your mind. I want something that is literally impossible to consume in one viewing, because you need something towards the ending to put the rest of the film in context.

wabid said:
I'm with Dwight. I think part of the angst comes from how fans of Nolan preach how deep his movies are, and turn them into philosophical explorations like 2001 etc.

True, most of the interpretation and pretentious thinking comes from fanboys like me who attribute super-genius-powers to nolan, but i wouldn't judge his movies because of that.
This december I was present at a 2 hour interview with nolan and it is incredible how different he is to what people attribute to him (both fans and haters). his first and foremost is to make an entertaining spectacle movie.
So i think it just so happens that people find great things in his movies to ponder about.

I think if a movie makes you think of something it doesn't matter if it was the author's intention or not. The Dark Knight Rises had me thinking of how our civilization would and could evolve and what the meaning of the league of shadows was - i could have gotten the exact same ideas from the comics or reading the economist or doing something else. it is not "nolan's message only" but I happen to discover a lot of interesting ideas by looking at his movies and spending too much time with them - i gues that is true for every work of art. the more you study it the more interesting it gets.
I think it is the thing with great directors that they just encourage you (if they make it intentionally or not doesn't matter imo) to further explore the world.

Personally I hate Tarantino's constant references to other movies as they serve no purpose to me - but there are so many people discovering real treasures of movie history because they are so devoted to his movies that they want to understand how he came up with the ideas in his movies - similarly to me reading "A Tale of Two Cities" because of The dark knight rises.

The thing I don't like is how much sense the movies make the first time through. I like being confused and having everything clicking at the end. It makes watching it again more fun. Think fight club.

to me inception had the same effect - just revisiting the entire movie knowing that cobb was the one who in a way killed his wife had a completely new effect on all his actions

The Prestige is the opposite. The entire third of the movie you're going "it can't be scifi, there must be an explanation." Then it ends and you are pissed. "Seriously, it was sci-fi?" it tricked me. I wanted to believe there was an explanation, but in the end it was magic. So I hated the movie the first time, it felt like a cop out. But on repeat viewing I realized that's what makes it amazing, it's the one Nolan movie that really pulls the wool over your eyes. Its all about slight of hand. It makes you believe there is something deeper going on, but there isn't. The simplest solution (scifi/a double) is the correct one, you just don't want to believe. Memento does to some extent too, but leaves you feeling satisfied, not cheated.

I agree. i hated prestige the first time and now I feel as if this movie has the saddest contemporary message about miracles and science (especially coming from a science background this movie resonated so much).
but i feel if prestige would come out now it would be the same - the movie already tells you exactly what it is about all the way through, everthing hints at it pretty much like all nolan movies so I think prestige just has the advantage of having been engaging before nolan became super mainstream.

So I understand the argument that Nolan needs to tell and not show, to achieve mainstream blockbusters, but in some sense that makes him a sellout. He trades artistic integrity for popularity. (It's funny that we decry Lucas for the same thing.)

I don't see that at all.
A sellout would be if he would fit his stories/change things to please the audience - like removing the spinning top from inception because it could upset the audience. He never sacrifices his story, the sacrifice is some monologues to assure people are along with the trip which is much less a sacrifice than appealing to a fan-demographic. Especially in a world of comic book movies I love how little "fanboy references" there are in his bat movies and even if they are they do not stand out as not fifting in the universe (i.e. helicarrier).

To me trading artistic integrity for popularity is happening when the director has a much better vision but in the end the movie boils down to something redundant - like X-Men First Class. The scene where fassbender is in the bar is probably the single greatest scene i have seen in a comic book movie and had the movie focused on this kind of storytelling it would have easily trumped all other Comic Book movies - but as soon as the 3rd act kicked in we were back to standard generic supervillain fighting (see Amazing Spider-Man as well).

This has only happened in Batman Begins and even than Nolan tried to put a little spin on the cliche (having the kiss but the girl not wanting the hero right now) - that was a compromise in my eyes but since then his movies have become his own movies and not the studio's

Nolan will maybe never have the artistic finesse of someone like wes anderson or make a movie like primer (seriously primer ftw!) but that is not what i want in his movies. He and peter jackson are the great entertainers to me who still have a good story up their sleeve and say "just because my movies are loud and big they don't have to be mysoginist or racist) - he is the anti-michael bay and something I am happy exists

Sunarep said:
but i feel if prestige would come out now it would be the same - the movie already tells you exactly what it is about all the way through, everthing hints at it pretty much like all nolan movies so I think prestige just has the advantage of having been engaging before nolan became super mainstream.

I think the difference with The Prestige is, it comes out and says "we are not trying to trick you, everything is as it seems" and but you don't believe it and spend the entire movie playing guessing games trying to figure out what is "really" going on. The movie itself is analogous to a magic trick and the entire narrative is slight of hand. I have heard the same about Inception and moviemaking, but I'm not sure I buy that one.

Sunarep said:
The sacrifice is some monologues to assure people are along with the trip which is much less a sacrifice than appealing to a fan-demographic.

I guess in essence that is what bugs me. It takes me out of the movie. The Dark Knight Rises had some of the same moments, where a character would just start blurting out plot points to catch you up if you fall asleep. In appealing to everyone parts become painful. Scorsese seems to be someone who has mastered a balance that in my opinion Nolan has yet not. But he is very young, and I am positive his true masterpiece is yet to come.

Great post though, I agree with most of what you have to say. Especially all superhero movies having carbon copy third act. TDKR was no exception. MIBIII was the closest thing we got to a different ending for a comic book movie this year.

So if Prestige is analogous to a magic trick, and Inception to making a movie, what will Interstellar "be about?"

Personally I think the most interesting part - that gets covered very little in timetravel movies -is the loss of self importance...
if there is an infinite number of worlds featuring sunareps (which would be awesome) then why am I special? or why does it matter what i do?

I love the sci fi idea of finding strength in something that seems demotivating at first - i.e. despite so many versions of me existing I still can choose my own way and that is a gift

The Prestige is actually in my never ending "to maybe fanedit one day" list. There's particularly one scene in the middle of the movie that gives the whole thing away, and I always thought the movie would have been so much better, and much less obvious, without it.

Back
Top Bottom