• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar"

Interstellar-poster.jpg

interstellar-IMAX-poster-550x815.jpg

interstellar-poster-3-550x858.jpg

Visualizing a black hole.

By combining the help of one of the world’s leading black hole physicists with a cutting-edge visual effects (VFX) team, ‘Interstellar’ will depict the most scientifically accurate black hole in science fiction history. And, during production, some new discoveries were made as to how a black hole would appear if we could view it up close.

It's a little more sophisticated than this :-D
(go to 2:45)

Linten1 said:
So is Interstellar supposedly like Forever War?
Close... sources say it's actually a stealth remake of Red Planet: a vague environmental catastrophe forces 'Murica! to undertake one last-ditch mission to a far-off world in search of... something. Starring: a good ol' white boy, a short-haired hot brunette co-pilot, an older white dude, and a robot.

Redplanetmovieposter.jpg

What the Flick?! has their completely spoiler-free review up... they're not too impressed:

(For the record, I think Red Planet is actually pretty good.)

I have seen this film and I can assure you all that it is incredible.

The best film this year and one of the finest I have ever seen.

^Totally shocked that a Christopher Nolan character loved the new Christopher Nolan movie.

DominicCobb said:
I have seen this film and I can assure you all that it is incredible.

The best film this year and one of the finest I have ever seen.

I'll watch it this week end and if what you said is not true it will be all your fault if I'm disappointed! ;)

Christopher Nolan sure likes his women dead, doesn't he?

Coop is raising his two children—whip-smart daughter Murph (Mackenzie Foy) and barely sketched son Tom (Timothée Chalamet)—with the help of Donald (John Lithgow), the father of his late wife. (For those keeping score, this brings the dead wife count in Nolan’s movies up to five, plus Rachel Dawes, who functions as a de facto dead wife in the Dark Knight films.)
(The AV Club)

:|

Yes there's an obvious motif in Nolan's films of dead wives. That doesn't mean he likes his women dead. No one ever complains about Spielberg's absent fathers. It's the same thing. Nolan has plenty other thematic through lines in his films that are a lot more interesting to dissect.

Gaith said:
Close... sources say it's actually a stealth remake of Red Planet: a vague environmental catastrophe forces 'Murica! to undertake one last-ditch mission to a far-off world in search of... something.

(For the record, I think Red Planet is actually pretty good.)

Yah, I thought Red Planet received a lot of hate it didn't deserve.

My mom informed me she wants me to go see Interstellar with her this weekend. I don't have to tell you all how difficult it is for a grown man to get his geek on when he's taking his mother to the cinema.:-o

I've got an opportunity to see Interstellar 70mm on the biggest IMAX screen in the UK!:)... but not for 2 weeks :x. I'm not sure I can wait that long, I might have to see it on my local bog-standard screen at the weekend first. It would be nice to wait though and see it first on a 29m high screen.

TM2YC said:
I've got an opportunity to see Interstellar 70mm on the biggest IMAX screen in the UK!:)... but not for 2 weeks :x. I'm not sure I can wait that long, I might have to see it on my local bog-standard screen at the weekend first. It would be nice to wait though and see it first on a 29m high screen.

I've got no problem with waiting, the hard thing is avoiding all the spoilers for 2 weeks. IMAX 70 mm sounds like the way to go.

Of course there's no point seeing a film shot on 70mm on a theater screen designed for tiny 35mm prints. There is so much extra visual data to take in that you'll want it projected on a towering screen that completely fills your vision, and helps completely suck you in to the experience. So IMAX has actually worked with theaters to ensure their even more massive 70mm projectors are still in use for the film's run, and are in perfect working order to handle the 600 pounds of film that go into a single copy of Interstellar.

So do yourself and everyone who worked on this film a favor and make sure you hunt down a 70mm showing of Interstellar (the official Interstellar website actually makes it easy to do so) if you do intend to see it in theaters. Because from what we've seen from reviews so far, it definitely seems like it's worth the extra effort.

Interstellar, which runs for 169 minutes, has to be split onto 48 reels, which together weigh some 800lb (360kg). Run end-to-end, its 60,288 feet of film would span 175 football pitches. The film has to be projected and rewound on special horizontal platters, six foot in diameter, because it is too bulky to run on conventional upright projectors. Sound is not embedded but runs on a separate six-channel film, which can cause headaches for projectionists.

I'm still going to go see it, but the reviews aren't promising. Sounds like everything I've had issues with in Nolan's more celebrated films people are saying are even more egregious in this movie. Bummer. Who knows, maybe I'll love it while everyone else is so-so on it, the opposite of all his other movies.

Just watched this. Need some time to think about it. No spoilers, but when you go in, expect a solid Christopher Nolan film (no not Dark Knight nolan, or Prestige/Inception nolan, but the old Following, memento, insomnia Nolan). Not a sci fi extravaganza like 2001 or Gravity but a thematically grounded human drama. It is a good drama, channelling not so much Kubrick (other than obvious visual references), but more Terence Malick than anything.

ranger613 said:
channelling not so much Kubrick, but more Terence Malick

It's that bad then? ;-)

TM2YC said:
It's that bad then? ;-)
Not at all. Malick movies are great as are Kubricks. Just that Kubricks work is often detached and misanthropic while malicks are humanist and emotionally grounded. Both are good but very different. I went in expecting 2001/gravity (both amazing films) but instead got tree of life (also an amzing film). I think thats where a lot of the mixed reviews come from-- the trailers make it look like a sci fi epic from the director of inception and dark knight. Its actually a human drama from the director of following and insomnia. It takes time to digest and warrants thinking about, does not give you that instant "awesome" reaction like at the end of prestige, inception etc. I certainly recommend seeing it, and I'll be buying it on BR. Visually, tho its definitely not a 3d imax must like gravity was, it should still be seen on the big screen as the space sequences are great.

I absolutely loved it. I guess I understand the complaints I've been hearing, I simply won't believe anyone who claims they weren't captivated by the sheer sense of wonder several sequences manage to capture so well.

ErikPancakes said:
I absolutely loved it. I guess I understand the complaints I've been hearing, I simply won't believe anyone who claims they weren't captivated by the sheer sense of wonder several sequences manage to capture so well.
Wonder is definitely right. I'm still thinking about the movie a day later so that's saying something. The music I thought was amazing, captured the space atmosphere perfectly.

The music is almost too amazing. I just want to listen to it all day but the soundtrack won't be released for another week and I cannot wait that long. It's killing me.

But I'm seeing the movie again tomorrow (this time in 70mm IMAX!) so I can't complain.

Looks like we have some people here that like it so far, can't wait to see this in Imax 15/70 soon. I think I am most excited to see all the practical effects. Surprising even more so is that the film has NO greenscreen whatsoever, which I hadn't realized before.

[video=youtube_share;xaMN10L27pc]

Question for people who have seen the film, do some of the FX look older than today? And I mean that in a good way, like less modern gloss. Also for IMAX scenes, how much true IMAX is there, and what about shifting AR?

Here is the best review of this movie, spoiler free, and pretty what I think about it.

Back
Top Bottom