• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

TM2YC said:
On the subject of Steve's Star Trek note...

It would be quite odd for a man from the past to view a TV show from his future, from the past of his present, that is imagining the future and in the case of something like 'Space Seed' also imagining the immediate past of his present which was also his distant future when it was his past but also the distant past of the TV show itself.
Most people are incapable of enjoying media from eras before their birth since they lack the proper context to see them as they were intended. It would be impossible for Steve to avoid modern media, which would surely taint his impression of older media despite how influential it was at the time.

I could see this working, though, if Steve was kept isolated from society to prevent culture shock. SHIELD would then drip-feed him media in a progression towards the modern era. The fact that Steve participated in the events of The Avengers and is clearly out in public in this film shows that they aren't doing that.

So, which do you all prefer? This:

movies_captain-america-2.jpg

Or THIS?

cap-2-old-skool__span.jpg

Ah! That second one's awesome! Reminds me of this one for Cap 1:

captain-america-poster.jpg

Fittingly that^ looks straight out of the forties and the one for Cap 2 looks like it's from a 70's political thriller. Good stuff.

Nic said:
So, which do you all prefer?

The second one, of course. Why studios use bland Photoshop creations when have the ability to hire talented artists to paint genuinely creative and attention-grabbing artwork is beyond me. Even stranger is that when they actually do hire an artist to make a great poster like that one, they only use it as a limited-edition cast and crew giveaway, and plaster the Photoshops up at thousands of theaters.

DominicCobb said:
Ah! That second one's awesome! Reminds me of this one for Cap 1:

The reason for the similarity is that both are made by Paolo Rivera, an excellent artist who also did the artwork for many comic books, including "Mythos: Captain America". His "Captain America: The First Avenger" poster, which you linked to above, is one of my all-time favorite movie posters. Why they only use his amazing posters for limited-edition cast and crew giveaways instead of at theaters worldwide is a source of puzzlement for me.

Some more Paolo Rivera artwork:

MYTHCA001_COV.jpg

CAPA2012001_Hastings-var_cov-col.jpg

CAPMCUDIG001_cov_col_r.jpg

captain_america_studies-01_wip.jpg

Iron-Man-3-poster-border.jpg

iron_man_is_born.jpg
iron_man_is_born.jpg
iron_man_is_born.jpg
iron_man_is_born.jpg
MYTHCA001019_dtl.jpg

Here's his website: http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/

Had a hunch it was the same guy. He's got some great work I see.

Marvel's posters have been extremely annoying as of late. That one of Cap on the jet is one of their better ones, actually. But ever since the Avengers, all there posters have been cut out of basically the same mold: slap dash photoshop with the same blue tint.

the-avengers-poster.jpg

iron%20man%203%20poster-1.jpg

thor-2-poster-dark-world-chris-hemsworth.jpg

This is the worst one so far, maybe:

captain-america-2-poster-us-full.jpg

The posters were still bad before, but at least they had their own identity. Now they're all just the same mush of shit.

While I prefer the style and tone of the non-official posters I also have a minor peeve when it comes to them: portraying the same character multiple times. The artist gives the main characters featured headshots, but then surrounds them with scenes from the film. It just feels odd to me.

As it's going that way, here is some more cool artwork of the Cap...

CaptainAmerica2.jpg

MarvelMondo6-366x550.jpg

13393744663_2f0656cdea.jpg

captain-america%20winter%20solider.jpg

captain-america-variant.jpg

captain_america_by_doubleleaf-d3d238e.jpg

I like that ^, almost Studio Ghibli does Marvel.

tumblr_mg02euw3J71qb4u6lo1_500.jpg

Oops, how did that get in there :-D.

Here's another really sweet poster:

captain_america_the_winter_soldier_ver20_xlg__span.jpg

How's it compared to Rivera's poster?

^That's a great one too. Playing up the political thriller angle is what all the posters should be doing.

Scarlett Johansson looks like she's go-go dancing. Bang bang shoot shoot in my clingy catsuit.

DominicCobb said:
Had a hunch it was the same guy. He's got some great work I see.

Marvel's posters have been extremely annoying as of late. That one of Cap on the jet is one of their better ones, actually. But ever since the Avengers, all there posters have been cut out of basically the same mold: slap dash photoshop with the same blue tint.

the-avengers-poster.jpg

iron%20man%203%20poster-1.jpg

thor-2-poster-dark-world-chris-hemsworth.jpg

This is the worst one so far, maybe:

captain-america-2-poster-us-full.jpg

The posters were still bad before, but at least they had their own identity. Now they're all just the same mush of shit.

Bet ya they would all look great if they were drawn by someone like Drew Struzan.

hellboy.jpg

backtofutureii1989artwoqo8.jpg

83337870.jpg

Hell yeah, they would. Struzan might have been the best part of the prequels:

09.-Drew-Struzan-Ep-I-Phantom-Menace.jpg

017.jpg

star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-drew-struzan.jpg

I like how on the ROTS poster, he just went "Screw this bullsh*t" and painted Palpatine to actually look like Palpatine :p. Also is it just me or has he painted the TPM poster to look like Obi-Wan is considering wether to decapitate Jar-Jar?

Brumous said:
Scarlett Johansson looks like she's go-go dancing. Bang bang shoot shoot in my clingy catsuit.
She looks even more like that in her character poster. It's the same shot, but something about the different presentation brings out the "dancing" look even more.

Black-Widow.jpg

That Johansson pose is pretty dumb. It's so obviously sexual (which I don't mind;-)). Kind of sexist considering she's currently the only female Avenger.

The apparent photo-shopping of her waistline is also pretty disgraceful.

It reminds me of the controversy over these posters for "The Avengers":

imaxavengersposterlarge.jpg

avengersw.jpg

Some people complained that these posters were sexist, due to Black Widow's exaggerated pinup-style pose, contrasted with the other heroes' action poses. Someone made this hilarious spoof poster reversing it:

avengers_booty_ass_emble_by_kevinbolk-d4hb4xl.jpg

hbenthow said:
It reminds me of the controversy over these posters for "The Avengers":

imaxavengersposterlarge.jpg

avengersw.jpg

Some people complained that these posters were sexist, due to Black Widow's exaggerated pinup-style pose, contrasted with the other heroes' action poses. Someone made this hilarious spoof poster reversing it:

avengers_booty_ass_emble_by_kevinbolk-d4hb4xl.jpg

Actually, with the first picture, Hulk seems to be mirroring Widow's pose almost exactly. Then again, I don't know exactly how big the audience who see's Hulk in that way is...

Just saw it.

Good. Not the "best one ever" like a lot of people are saying, but a good time to be had here. Lots of big changes to the Universe after this, it'll shake up "Agents of SHIELD" loads.

Zarius said:
Just saw it.

Good. Not the "best one ever" like a lot of people are saying, but a good time to be had here. Lots of big changes to the Universe after this, it'll shake up "Agents of SHIELD" loads.
If it's not too much trouble, could you answer a few questions about the movie?

I know that it's used at the very beginning (as Cap and Falcon are jogging), but is Alan Silvestri's Captain America theme used anywhere else in the movie?

Are there any flashbacks to the 1940s?

Is there any mention of Coulson?

Is the deleted scene from "The Avengers" showing Cap watching newsreel footage of himself and looking through folders incorporated into the movie?

When Cap and Peggy reunite, do they dance?

How much of an impression did Falcon make?

--Admin note: Please put answers in SPOILER TAGS.

Back
Top Bottom