• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I think Cap 1 is the least of the MCU movies to date, because of the reason discussed by Mike and Jay in their Half in the Bag review: the first half is great, but then the story just kinda sputters out. Once Steve really becomes Cap, and the mission montages start up and Bucky "dies", there's just not much left to do: storm the base, waste the Red Skull, don't let Steve and Peggy knock boots, save the East Coast, freeze. Hugo Weaving is awesome as always, but there's just not much to his character. That said, I have complete respect for Chris Evans, who was terrific from the get-go.

I also loathe DC, and though I knew it'd feature, was somewhat surprised that, apart from jaunts to a ship at sea and New Jersey, we stuck entirely to the Washington area. Also, boo on them for calling DCA "Reagan"; everyone knows it's still called "National" Airport, because the heck with that old gasbag. :p

Also, did it have to be so damn sunny and bright blue all the time? To fit with the somber mood of things, a scene or action sequence in the rain or at least dark/ominous clouds could have helped a whole lot. Points for realism, I guess, but is that really a priority in a comic book movie?

And the action... oh man, that action. So damn jittery. Why? It worked for The Bourne Ultimatum and Battle: LA, because those protagonists were mentally broken and/or scared out of their minds. But Cap is an old-fashioned man of resolve, so the shots should have been much longer. Also, the highway battle was rather longer than necessary.

And the Widow's hot and all, but she's no Pepper Potts or Rebecca Hall or even a Jane Foster, is she? Like they acknowledge at the end, there's just not really anything to her. And what, she doesn't know who Peggy Carter is? One of SHIELD's founding members? Kinda lame, Tasha, no?

IM3 and Thor 2 were great; this was merely good. Wish Rhodey woulda showed up. Wasn't Simmons at the Triskelion? Wish we'd have seen her too, if only for a moment. Cap's intercom speech woulda been the perfect time. Great to see Senator Stearns again, though; I had no idea he'd be back. Also weird that New York was mentioned, but the evil alien invaders weren't. Wouldn't alient threats be at the forefront of everyone's mind? What good does it do HYDRA to conquer the world if a Loki or whoever just shows up and takes all their sh*t?

Nah. I disagree.

It was a great movie. :)

WyndorfDave said:
I almost jumped out of my seat when Cap threw his shield through the window at Baltrok! I agree the shaky-cam was a bit much at first, but it seemed less noticeable as the film went on.

Shaky cam and rapid editing are my most hated aspects of modern action movie style. However, I found it to be at a minimal level in Cap 2. I never had difficulty in following what was happening, where people were in relation to eachother, etc. It was a bit too rapid/choppy in places, but it was nowhere nearly as bad as, say, Quantum of Solace or Die Hard 5.

Saw it last night, an excellent movie. Great directing, good script, stellar cast, much fun was had. 4/5

It is also very possible to see 2 movies in one weekend.

Saw it. Liked it. Better than IM3 & Thor2. Might even be the best in the series.

Finally had the time to go see this. Have to say that I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Enjoyed it the most out of the Phase 2 films so far. Be interesting to see what deleted scenes there are when the blu-ray comes out. And enjoyed this more than Cap 1.

Never noticed some of these nitpicked plot holes.
[video=youtube_share;JvHyk2ESFCI]

In Agents of SHIELD, when HYDRA reveals itself, but before he reveals himself, Bill Paxton's Garrett has the throwaway line "HYDRA always comes back." Kind of a genius moment, if you think about it - since he must be referring to post-WW2 HYDRA, that clearly implies that there have been several instances of SHIELD cells/personnel getting sick of waiting to rise again and doing evil crap on their own. When they're defeated and caught, they probably say they were recruited by higher-ups, but without concrete evidence, who'll believe them? Said higher-ups are always smart and patient enough to keep their records clean, and stay hidden.

Does it make sense in a real-world context? Nah. By comic-book movie standards? Sure, why not. ;)

I thought it was a great movie. One of the best Marvel movies so far. I've got a soft spot for Thor 1 and 2, so not so sure on that one, but definitely better than IM2, IM3, and on par (or even slightly better) than The Avengers.

The only thing I thought that came out of nowhere was:

When Senator Stern whispered Sitwell in the ear, exclaiming 'Hail Hydra'. That, to me, just seemed like a cheap Marvel move to make the Senator come across as the dick the audience thought he was. They were sort of justifying it. Yeah, you all think he's a dick, and here's our proof. Cheap. But I thought "figures" immediately, so it worked.

Back
Top Bottom