• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Buffy - The Prophecy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delpheas said:
This looks pretty great. I look forward to seeing what more you bring us from the Buffyverse.

As I write this the final cut is being uploaded on mega. It's a 3 GB-mkv. I ran into a last-minute-problem after I completed getting rid of the credits using the "Ken Burns"-effect in Final Cut pro X. After rendering it and outputting, the picture-quality was not as sharp as I was used to, and it took me a while to find the source of the mistake:

While getting rid of the credits a bug came up that caused all of the edit to be zoomed a little and reduced picturequality by a step or two. I don't know why, but I had to reload a previous version of the edit, before I did all the credit-removement and do it all over again.

In the midst of that second round the bug appeared again and ruined everything, but since I was aware of that I could easily undo it at that point and redo the previous edit, and fortunately then the problem didn't reappear.

But that last-minute problem and delay also brought some good, as a last idea came to me, which I built into the movie:
When you get to watch it, please watch the end-credits to the very end and beyond. I won't say more.:)

heatherly84 told me about that brushing-thing in Adobe After Effects for getting rid of the credits brushing them off picture for picture. I found something similar in the app "iphoto" that was preinstalled for free on my mac mini. There is a tool for remasking something out and it works pretty similar to that brushing thing in Adobe Effects.

I tried it out and I could indeed mask out the credits. The first attempt was a bit smeary, as I used it too big-sized, when I downsized the brush and went about it carefully, the end-result looked pretty good.

But it took me about 5-6 minutes for one picture to get it right, and when I calculate the time necessary for all of the credits that need to go, including exporting and reimporting the cleaned pictures... it would take me at least 96 hours, that is when able to do this highly concentrated and not being diverted in any way. More realistic would be 120 hours. That would mean it would take 60-100 days to complete the job.

I think I'll stay with the cropping-method:).

I tried to make a cover for my edit, but I need feedback on it:

rmdjki5qrtevmbysluvtq9-large.jpg

What do you think?

Project submitted, thread moved. Good luck!

TV's Frink said:
Project submitted, thread moved. Good luck!

What about the cover? Is it good the way it is? Or is it too many characters on it, should I just concentrate on Buffy alone or should I make a more abstract cover?...

NewSpock said:
What about the cover?

1. Is that the right aspect ratio? It seems kinda short at fat, maybe should be taller/skinnier?
2. The text background needs tweeks. For example, look at the 2nd 'F' in 'Buffy'. It's on top of an isolated white spot, making it hard to read at a glance, could be a P. It just draws the eye in a bad way. Even if you keep everything else the same, I think spot darkening that location would improve readability significantly. (Same thing but lesser extent with the 'HE' over willow's head, you could darken that part of the image to make the text pop.) You may do better though to try and find a way to put the text over a uniform background. Anytime you have text over a busy area with a lot of color variation it will tend to make the text blend in, as opposed to stand out.
3. Do you want to put your name on there? "Fanedited by NewSpock" or similar. Doesn't have to be as prevalent as the title, could be in smaller text at the top or bottom.

RollWave said:
1. Is that the right aspect ratio? It seems kinda short at fat, maybe should be taller/skinnier?
2. The text background needs tweeks. For example, look at the 2nd 'F' in 'Buffy'. It's on top of an isolated white spot, making it hard to read at a glance, could be a P. It just draws the eye in a bad way. Even if you keep everything else the same, I think spot darkening that location would improve readability significantly. (Same thing but lesser extent with the 'HE' over willow's head, you could darken that part of the image to make the text pop.) You may do better though to try and find a way to put the text over a uniform background. Anytime you have text over a busy area with a lot of color variation it will tend to make the text blend in, as opposed to stand out.
3. Do you want to put your name on there? "Fanedited by NewSpock" or similar. Doesn't have to be as prevalent as the title, could be in smaller text at the top or bottom.

Thanks for the feedback, will work on it a bit.

As to the aspect-ratio: Since I'm not doing a physical media-release, does the aspect-ratio play a role?

^ Not bad. I like the general layout and concept.

Though both Buffy and Willow (what is that square in the middle of her forhead?) look a bit fuzzy, out of focus.

Also I would play more with your title card and font.... make BUFFY much bigger and bolder, lose the hyphen and make THE PROPHECY smaller/centered under the main BUFFY title. Maybe go for a scarier font, more classic horror style....
I would definitely go with a different colour than creamy pink and maybe add some drop shadow to make it pop out more.

You could even add more stuff to make it feel more like a traditional poster.... add a logo, or have a quote or tagline at either the top or bottom of the poster or starring credits or other stuff.... though clean and simple works great too. ;-)

bionicbob said:
^ Not bad. I like the general layout and concept.

Though both Buffy and Willow (what is that square in the middle of her forhead?) look a bit fuzzy, out of focus.

Also I would play more with your title card and font.... make BUFFY much bigger and bolder, lose the hyphen and make THE PROPHECY smaller/centered under the main BUFFY title. Maybe go for a scarier font, more classic horror style....
I would definitely go with a different colour than creamy pink and maybe add some drop shadow to make it pop out more.

You could even add more stuff to make it feel more like a traditional poster.... add a logo, or have a quote or tagline at either the top or bottom of the poster or starring credits or other stuff.... though clean and simple works great too. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I don't have scary fonts. As to adding additional stuff like logos or quotes, thought about it, but it would disturb the "book-style" the cover is going for at the moment. I think I'll keep it simple.

The block on Willow's head was a window from the school-building behind it that shone through, I removed it.

I tried some other colours for the font, but can't decide yet which to go for:

Either this:

eknstxrpalh2eq3rwvbkye-large.jpg

or this one:

bklehaa1gnd80wf1cntmtg-large.jpg

Which one is the better?

I like the second one the best. :thumb:

Update: It has been approved!:)

What do you think of this banner for it?

oygwzf4odsfkfp4cehsaha-large.jpg

Shouldn't be too long till it can premiere.:)

it looks squished, like buffy's face is the wrong aspect ratio.

Yeah, agreed. The choice of image is fine, but the image itself looks squished.

Alright, I made the image to the right a little less squished and stretched the image to the left with the school-building to cover up the space:

rjeulmusoqktimhlfooy7s-large.jpg

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom