• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Buffy - The Prophecy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the new version of the trailer, I reduced the overall loudness of the music and allowed some more instances of dialogue to shine through to reduce a little the feel of it being like a music-video:

Password: Summers

What do you think?

I wasn't happy with the middlepart of the movie:

In order to properly introduce Jenny I had a section there that imho pulled down the movie as the writing wasn't of good quality and it disturbed a bit the overall pacing of the movie. I watched and rewatched the movie trying to find a way around it and a better paced transition between the second and third act.
I think I eventually found a way, which results in 10 mins (getting rid of Jenny's introduction and of Buffy meeting and kissing Angel in the Bronze after Angel killed Darla. Eventhough I really like that Bronze-scene, and I really didn't want to cut that, but it was better for the overall story-arc... ie. allowing Xander's story-arc to have a better meaning) less for the edit, so it's now 2 hours and 14 mins long.

I think it's now nearing the finish-line.:)

Thanks to a corrupted project-file I had to start afresh (now I'm backuping different versions to fall back upon ;)), but thanks to having to start afresh I had a nice idea with the anointed one and so I restructed the whole story-telling to make it possible:

Do you remember the "Anointed one", that kid besides the Master in season 1? I didn't like that he pretty much didn't have anything to do in the whole season.

For this movie-version I changed his role a bit, quite a bit actually, by making him being able to enter Buffy's dreams, ie. I turned it him into a sort of psychic.

I did it by instrumentalising Billy from the "Nightmare"- episode. I took out all the mentioning of the name "Billy" and made that kid appear in Buffy's dream right at the beginning of this movie, in that first dream Buffy has that forecasted the master's threat.

Then throughout the movie I let that kid appear in Buffy's dreams, all in all he has three appearance culminating in that dream-turned-reality-sequence where the master buries Buffy alive.

In that last appearance in the form of "Billy", I also let concurrently happen an earthquake as if Buffy's direct encounterement with the master in that dream caused the earthquake in reality. The reason I chose that connection was the master's dialogue with buffy wherein he says "I'm free because you fear it, your fear makes the world crumble..." It just fitted perfectly.

Then at the end when the anointed-one-child appears before the school waiting there to lead Buffy to the master, and Buffy sees him for the first time, I inserted a short sequence showing "Billy" from one of the dream-sequences and then fade the picture onto the anointed-one-kid, clearly making the point that "Billy" and the anointed kid are one and the same. Then Buffy says "It's alright, I know who you are" and takes his hand, giving a much deeper meaning to that sentence and giving the viewer a nice plot-twist to think about, and at the same time making the role of the anointed one much more important.

The movie is now about 90% finished, but the wait and even the corruption of the project-file are imho definitely worth the extra-time and extra-work. :)

I finished the movie. Imho it's a great movie, but then I made this edit so I'm very biased.;-)

That's why I look for previewers to give me some feedback on it. I would upload it on mega as a mkv of about 3 GB. Who is interested?

Hi, NewSpock. I know I'm new, but I'd be very interested in seeing it, if you wouldn't mind!

heatherly84 said:
Hi, NewSpock. I know I'm new, but I'd be very interested in seeing it, if you wouldn't mind!

Thanks, you are welcome to watch it, as soon as I have it all uploaded I'll send you the links for it. The movie is 2 hours and 13 minutes long.

But I need more previewers, I thought maybe about three or four, in order to have diverse points of view and feedbacks.:)

Is there a thread specifically for that? Also, should I leave my feedback in this thread when you send me the workprint?

heatherly84 said:
Is there a thread specifically for that?

If you are asking if there is a thread for the links, that's against the rules. Links can be shared via PM.

Actually, I was asking if there's a thread specifically for "Previewers wanted." (On another board I hang out on for making custom content/mods for Sims 3, there's one thread/board for works in progress, and another for seeking beta testers for finished mods.)

I just check this trailer out, well I am not to crazy about it as a trailer its more like a music video, plus the trailer does not have any titling to it as to what it is, However we all know what it is. I think the trailer could have been more exciting, seeing this did not make me interested in seeing this as a movie, but I want to see it since I just did one of my own as a movie.

BloodLust

BloodLust said:
I just check this trailer out, well I am not to crazy about it as a trailer its more like a music video, plus the trailer does not have any titling to it as to what it is, However we all know what it is. I think the trailer could have been more exciting, seeing this did not make me interested in seeing this as a movie, but I want to see it since I just did one of my own as a movie.

BloodLust

You are welcome, and I hope you don't mind that I do a Buffy s1-movie-edit as well, but while reviewing your edit lots of ideas came up how to make it differently... until I couldn't resist but trying to do a version of mine.

It should be possible though to have two edits for the same thing and yet offer different experiences, as proven by the various starwars/superman/matrix-edits.

As to the trailer, you are right it's not really a trailer, as I simply don't know yet how to make a trailer. Making a trailer needs definitely a different approach than making a movie but I'm confident that given time and practice I'll be able to make a trailer that feels like a trailer.

heatherly84 said:
Is there a thread specifically for that? Also, should I leave my feedback in this thread when you send me the workprint?

I'll send you the links via pm in a few days and I would prefer it to get the feedback through pm as well, as it's just a preview.

Once the final version is up, hopefully improved here and there after reflecting the feedback, all are free to offer their opinions publically in the forum.

NewSpock said:
So I settled for a compromise: I put a black ovale-mask over the appearing credits, it's not optimal, but imho definitely better than leaving the credits as be or cutting and stretching the image.

How happy were you with this method - ie now that you're done, do you wish you had done the coverup differently or do you still think this was the best result per time effort? Any chance you could post a couple screenshots showing particular good or bad instances with any recommendations on how to minimize the damage when the credits appear over a busy background?

I'm working on an edit of The West Wing which has the same issue with intermittent credits.

RollWave said:
How happy were you with this method - ie now that you're done, do you wish you had done the coverup differently or do you still think this was the best result per time effort? Any chance you could post a couple screenshots showing particular good or bad instances with any recommendations on how to minimize the damage when the credits appear over a busy background?

I'm working on an edit of The West Wing which has the same issue with intermittent credits.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm happy with my solution, but I'm slightly more content with it than with stretching the picture. The best solution is still a manual frame by frame recoloring of the letters, but I just didn't have the patience for it.

Here's a picture with the ovale black-mask:

dwcsmjk9sscykngivc6ggf-large.jpg

By the way, the preview-version of Buffy-The Prophecy is uploading right now on mega and should be available by tomorrow if everything works.

NewSpock said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm happy with my solution, but I'm slightly more content with it than with stretching the picture. The best solution is still a manual frame by frame recoloring of the letters, but I just didn't have the patience for it.

Here's a picture with the ovale black-mask:

dwcsmjk9sscykngivc6ggf-large.jpg

By the way, the preview-version of Buffy-The Prophecy is uploading right now on mega and should be available by tomorrow if everything works.

If you have AfterEffects and Photoshop, you'd get a much better result by extracting a still frame of each credits spot, taking the spot healing brush to it, and then making a mask from the still.

heatherly84 said:
If you have AfterEffects and Photoshop, you'd get a much better result by extracting a still frame of each credits spot, taking the spot healing brush to it, and then making a mask from the still.

I don't have either application but I'm curious how it could look better. What does that healing brush do? Does it try to equalise the colour of the mask with it's surroundings? If so won't it look wobbly in a moving picture?

It's time: The previewers will get their links by pm.

NewSpock said:
I don't have either application but I'm curious how it could look better. What does that healing brush do? Does it try to equalise the colour of the mask with it's surroundings? If so won't it look wobbly in a moving picture?

It's time: The previewers will get their links by pm.

Sort of. The spot healing brush does an amazing job of matching the spot to the nearest piece of background. This may not work as well with detailed things like that globe, but with stuff like walls, floors, non-patterned clothing, and skin on places like arms (i.e, where there aren't any changes in shape, like you'd see on a face), it blends it in pretty much perfectly, so that you can't see that there's a mask at all.

You can see a tutorial on how to do this here:

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing your workprint! Off to check my PMs now!

so you are covering up the distracting credits with a distracting black circle? I'm confused how this is an improvement over just leaving the credits in.

ThrowgnCpr said:
so you are covering up the distracting credits with a distracting black circle? I'm confused how this is an improvement over just leaving the credits in.

It's an improvement over leaving the credits in for two reasons:
a) The black ovale doesn't contain any information. Credits, you would read them and think about them.
b) It's black, while the credits are glaringly white, so the ovale doesn't stand out that much.

But I'm not saying it's a good solution and far from ideal, it's just the one I chose given the tools I have. I just didn't like the effect the stretching of the picture has, when using the normal solution for credits.

heatherly84 said:
Sort of. The spot healing brush does an amazing job of matching the spot to the nearest piece of background. This may not work as well with detailed things like that globe, but with stuff like walls, floors, non-patterned clothing, and skin on places like arms (i.e, where there aren't any changes in shape, like you'd see on a face), it blends it in pretty much perfectly, so that you can't see that there's a mask at all.

You can see a tutorial on how to do this here:

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing your workprint! Off to check my PMs now!

Wow, that's pretty awesome technology there! This brushing thing is great. But the app is way too expensive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom