• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

TM2YC said:
macmilln said:
Why would you need to rip it?

To 'own the source' for one reason, plus to have it uncompressed and to have an actual analogue film source element of it, not just a still frame.

In my opinion, that doesn't really qualify for a source you need to own. And I'm not savvy enough to understand what the value/difference is in having a still frame vs. a rip of a still frame.

But, doesn't really affect me regardless, power to ya if ya wanna buy it! Can't wait for this edit, regardless.

macmilln said:
TM2YC said:
macmilln said:
Why would you need to rip it?

to have an actual analogue film source element of it, not just a still frame.

I'm not savvy enough to understand what the value/difference is in having a still frame vs. a rip of a still frame.

A still frame would be fine for a film shot today on digital cameras (such as BR2049) but BR was made in the early 80s on 35mm film cameras (and so were any logos at the time) so they should have the "organic" grain texture and subtle gate weave wobble characteristic of older films. Even with a perfect frame stabilization pass, the grain itself would move in a characteristic way.
TheUltimate said:
Another idea is the blu ray of Enter the Dragon, which has the Saul Bass logo intact.

I'm using that for the DVD bonus edit but the old blu-ray transfer of ETD is very bad (at least mine is) so it won't stand up to a 1080p edit.

I found a 1983 Laserdisc transfer of Blade Runner, this is a screengrab of the opening logo:

48928485726_af63d79cb4_o.png

At the time Embassy was owned by Jerry Perenchio, who is the first name on the Blade Runner credits. There is no WB logo. It sounds like this:

I also found a 1997 NTSC pan&scan DVD. Colour wise it looks very similar to the 1999 PAL Widescreen DVD that I'm basing the grade on but the image quality is vastly improved, although of course it's heavy cropped to 4:3. e.g. I might use it as a final colour reference check.

Look what I found on YouTube :) :

The colors look great in the regraded BTS footage.

Never noticed this before until I just read about it. This is a photo of Deckard and his "ex-wife"...

dcd35e66b95c0733b299e4fd0e978de4.png

...and this a photo of Rachel and her fake mother:

dw9psi3uqaashsw.jpg

Some theories have said they are the same porch, which if you look closely they are not but they are similar enough to presumably be deliberate. Interesting.

"Although Perenchio was one of the producers, presumably, would Embassy Home Entertainment logo be present on a theatrical release?" was my thought before I went to check out the opening titles... And then I noticed it for the first time, frankly. Never really paid attention to it until now. The last line, at the bottom.
What if there wasn't a separate WB logo on theatrical?

BOpYjXr.png

Plissken1138 said:
"Although Perenchio was one of the producers, presumably, would Embassy Home Entertainment logo be present on a theatrical release?" was my thought before I went to check out the opening titles... And then I noticed it for the first time, frankly. Never really paid attention to it until now. The last line, at the bottom.
What if there wasn't a separate WB logo on theatrical?

Yeah I very much doubt Embassy would have been on the theatrical prints in some form. If I had to guess, I'd say there was no WB logo on the cinema release but since I want this to sync with the FC, something could go there. Perhaps a fanedit titlecard instead.

The alternate Esper sequence on the deleted scenes will be in the bonus edit but I dislike the way they just dropped unfinished shots in there over a black background. So I thought it'd be nice to put them within an Esper CRT screen. I wanted to keep it subtle and unobtrusive so as not to obscure the bonus material too much:

(Password: fanedit.org)

The original version is 20 minutes into this youtube clip for comparison:

My alternate/bonus/complimentary cut of Blade Runner is done (a first pass anyway):

49000214793_3c8dc9462a_k.jpg

I'll wait until I finalise the grade recut, before finalising this extra cut though. It's currently coming in at 01.49.18 (including credits) so it's about 8-10 minutes shorter than the other cuts. I managed to retain pretty much every bit of bonus video/audio from the Theatrical, Workprint and Deleted Scenes (Working on a cutlist now). I think it'll be a fun alternate way to watch Blade Runner.

49025589021_c02d7bcd6e_k.jpg

It would be nice to fix the infamous "I can't un-see it" wide shot of Deckard getting the VK machine out of his briefcase, except there is nothing in his hands and it's already on the desk next to him. I'm not sure I've got the FX skills to fix it though. So if anybody does and wants to have a go let me know, or if anybody knows of a fan who has already done such and FX fix.

374l4qx0knd01.jpg

Siliconmaster said:
That is amazing and I will never unsee it

I had a go at trying to fix it but I couldn't make it work with my FX skill level.

I've started cutting the graded Director's Cut footage together with the Final Cut. It's harder than I'd hoped as the look of the transfer is so different. There is one much longer shot from the FC that isn't in the DC, as Deckard investigates the scales. Here is the last frame of the DC and the first frame of the FC extra footage:

49040181852_2afdf07f31_k.jpg

It looks so different that I don't even know where to start with grading it, so I can blend it into the DC shot :( . The FC footage looks so awful that I wonder if it was taken from the Workprint because the negative had been lost. Of course I could use the whole shot the FC, so I wouldn't have to blend it in to the nice DC footage. *sigh*

Maybe the Workprint blu-ray would be a better source for the shot?

Maybe. There's probably more color information to work with, but I imagine the workprint transfer isn't as clean.

ChainsawAsh said:
Maybe. There's probably more color information to work with, but I imagine the workprint transfer isn't as clean.

Indeed. It's not that bad damage wise but that scene looks very poor compression wise for some reason on the Workprint blu-ray. So I had to go with the Final Cut as a source.

After much time devoted to separating out different areas of the image for individual grading, I managed to get it looking close enough that when I fade from the beautiful DC shots to the poor looking new FC footage the change isn't too jarring:

(Password: fanedit.org)

I had to darken the shadows of the DC shot a little too, as I could only lighten the crushed blacks of the FC so much. Now I need to fix the other end of the shot to fade it back into the DC source. Plus do some fixing of the colours on the middle FC bit so it's not all teal and murky brown.

^ Thanks.

The integration of selected Final Cut changes is nearing completion. I could really do with finding an exhaustive, trustworthy and accurate list of all the FC changes on the web but all the ones I've read are incomplete (IMDB, move-censorship etc), just to have something to double check, that I got them all.

I'm also a third of the way through cutting up the Dangerous Days documentary to extract all the alternate takes and angles, ready to add into my bonus cut.

I noticed that this matte of Deckard climbing when flipped upside down had a similar angle to the dove shot. Perhaps something like this rough mockup would feel better integrated into the other FX shots? Obviously the perspective isn't quite right, it's just for ideas. Instead of a tower on the RHS, a shaft of light between buildings occupying the same negative space as the tower.

49089249472_0e6735da1c_k.jpg

At the end of the Theatrical Cut's credits is an R-Rated titlecard, which I'm going to use (instead of the redone slower and longer Final Cut credits). It looks way too bright and under-saturated but not being American and not being old enough to see an R-Rated film in an American theater in 1982, I'm not 100% sure what the colour should be. As far as I can tell, it should look something like this...?

49096591501_b7f0185d02_b.jpg

(Ungraded = top / Graded = bottom)

Is anybody old enough to verify?

I've also had a first pass at trying to grade the FC dove shot but it's not all that sucessful. That teal colouring is so harsh and baked into the image:

49096631526_647ba5d97f_b.jpg

Looks pretty damned good to me, honestly. You managed to take out most of the teal, and the bit left seems like just some ambient glow from nearby lights.

I’m old enough but I barely remember that screen. That said, I like the bottom way more than the top.

I wonder how that de-tealed shot looks in motion. Maybe try to just desaturate remaining teal in second pass?

Back
Top Bottom