• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

TM2YC said:
Thanks. What did you think of the mis-matched colour grading? Interesting, or distracting?

By the way, I found another 30-mins of outtakes combing through all the bonus featurettes. There are a few more shots to go into the Holden and noodle bar scenes. I'm pretty sure I've got it all now.

I think I'm going to go with slightly sepia, a mid point between the natural grey colour and the DC tint.

I think the mixed sources and coloring are interesting, rather than distracting, at least to me.

I support a slightly sepia look, especially over a super-sepia or a green tint. It is supposed to be "memories" and a hint of sepia would reinforce that.

Siliconmaster said:
I think the mixed sources and coloring are interesting, rather than distracting, at least to me.

Thanks.

Here is a final version of the alternate first half of the Leon/Holden scene, with all the bonus material available used:

(Password: fanedit.org)

There is so much deleted material for this scene that I've managed to cut the footage together in a way that I only needed to use 4 shots (totaling less than 10 seconds) from the workprint source.

Here is a comparison video too:

Have you ever watched the White Dragon cut? It makes use of as much deleted material as possible to extend the film as much as possible. In some instances, it creates new scenes by heavily re editing other scenes. It's very interesting to watch.
Your project just reminded me of it.

Anyways, I'm still looking forward to your regrade as well as thus edit. The cut I mentioned is a bit of a handful, being too long and having too many scenes that were cut out for a reason. Yours seems to focus on being an alternate cut rather than an extended cut with alternative scenes, so I think I'll appreciate it more.
It's been a long time since my last viewing of Blade Runner. I wanted to watch it in November, but I kept forgetting. Since I messed that up, I might as well just wait for your regrade before I watch it again.

Oops, sorry I didn't reply 'til now...

jrWHAG42 said:
Have you ever watched the White Dragon cut? It makes use of as much deleted material as possible to extend the film as much as possible. In some instances, it creates new scenes by heavily re editing other scenes. It's very interesting to watch.
Your project just reminded me of it.

I've watched a few clips on youtube. I'm not at all keen on the new stuff that is added but it's been helpful in spotting some shots that I'd missed.

I've re-started work on the grade this week. The first 25-minutes are 100% finished, the rest just needs a final pass to finesse each shot. I'm aiming to complete at least 10-minutes a day.

I've been working on the Alternate Cut. I finally managed to complete going through the hours of special features, stripping out any and all out-takes and then putting them in movie order, ready for editing. I'm about 20-minutes into adding these extra deleted bits. The vast majority of those shots were without sound, so it's fun finding where they go and syncing them up to the movie audio.

Here is a couple of mins of Deckard arriving at the Tyrell building:

Wherever possible I've trimmed down the non-deleted footage, or rearranged it in different ways.

Sometimes scenes have so many out-takes that it's impossible to use them all and then some scenes have only a couple of scraps. I want to make sure I use everything I can, so I needed to find a way to use the start and end of some shots where Deckard is getting home but the middle of the shots don't exist.

So I decided to cut away a couple of times to the omnipresent blimp and I had an unused closeup shot of it showing a Japanese beer commercial. I googled images of Japanese beer labels and recognised it as the Kirin brand. I put Kirin into youtube, hoping to find usable audio from an old commercial but discovered Harrison Ford himself has done a ton of adverts for Kirin. So I've now got Deckard/Harrison looking up and listening to his own voice :D...

If you look closely Kirin beer is on all the TVs behind Deckard in his very first shot, a detail I never noticed before:

vlcsnap-2017-11-26-14h21m25s845.jpg

I'm looking forward to a nice double disc bluray set when this comes out - wink wink

Last Impressions said:
I'm looking forward to a nice double disc bluray set when this comes out - wink wink

If/when it comes to that it would probably be a single disc, with the option of separate mkv/mp4 versions too. The alternate cut is only going to be 720p, so wouldn't be worth wasting a whole blank disc on it. It's more of a bonus feature.

TM2YC said:
Last Impressions said:

If/when it comes to that it would probably be a single disc, with the option of separate mkv/mp4 versions too. The alternate cut is only going to be 720p, so wouldn't be worth wasting a whole blank disc on it. It's more of a bonus feature.

Makes sense. Maybe a BD50 so the main feature doesn't lose any quality, and then there would be plenty of room for the alternate cut at a solid bitrate.

I remember hoping this would be available before Blade Runner 2049 way back in summer 2017! :p

God knows how many versions of Blade Runner I saw. Plus counting the fan edits. Not a fan of the official color remastering Blu-rays, so looking forward to your regrade.  :)

Some progress is still being made (slowly). I'm up to 45-minutes on the Alternate cut. Here is a 9-minute taster of what it's like:

^ This section is maybe 40-50% made from video and audio not in the other versions.

TM2YC said:
Some progress is still being made (slowly). I'm up to 45-minutes on the Alternate cut. Here is a 9-minute taster of what it's like:

^ This section is maybe 40-50% made from video and audio not in the other versions.

What an amazing job with the color regrade TM2YC. I remember watching the extended edition from ADigitalMan and this looks very similar. My memory fades with age so i dont think it's exactly the same lineup but. But by judging by your video above, it will have superior color work.

Trez75 said:
What an amazing job with the color regrade TM2YC. I remember watching the extended edition from ADigitalMan and this looks very similar. My memory fades with age so i dont think it's exactly the same lineup but. But by judging by your video above, it will have superior color work.

Thanks but I didn't regrade any of that. It looks good because I don't think Ridley Scott cared enough about all the deleted footage to spend time ruining it with a new green tinted grade. Those outtakes are a good indicator of how good Blade Runner should look.

TM2YC said:
Trez75 said:

Thanks but I didn't regrade any of that. It looks good because I don't think Ridley Scott cared enough about all the deleted footage to spend time ruining it with a new green tinted grade. Those outtakes are a good indicator of how good Blade Runner should look.

Sounds logic. I said regraded because the color looks almost like my upscaled laserdisc edition :) I use a HDMI deinterlacing card to get the best quality from the composite output. I never liked those bluray editions in the first place anyway. The Final cut has this weird green color tint which i thought was ugly.

It'll be great to see it in the proper regrade :). I read this thread a long time ago and I've forgotten - are you going to change anything besides the colors?

I like the film the way it is, but I must admit the guy has a point and he's made his own BR edit. Check his ideas here, it's interesting:

Hi @"TM2YC" I must say this is my one of my most anticipated fan edit of the year :) All good with the edit still?

Trez75 said:
All good with the edit still?

I haven't done much work on it for a while unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom