• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

Junglist Paja said:
The Hair!

Correct but not just the hair I've swapped in a profile shot of Harrison's face too:

(Password: fanedit.org)

It's not perfect but I'm pleased with it considering my skills with FX work are pretty limited. For anyone that hadn't noticed before, it's wasn't originally Harrison in that shot and is really obvious once you've spotted it. I think it was a pickup shot filmed back in the UK with some dude wearing a random raincoat IIRC.

2731717_2.jpg

I'd have really liked for this project to be done by what I suppose is "Blade Runner Day" on November 1st 2019 but with just over a month left, I've realised that ain't gonna happen by some distance. To be honest getting it done before the end of 2019 will be a push but I'll be making an "work in progress" version available in the next few weeks if there is anyone who wants to watch this grade in some form for the Nov 2019 "anniversary" (I know I do :D ).

Work continues on fine tuning each shot. Here is one of those wipe/comparison videos of an establishing shot outside Leon's apartment:

A work-in-progress version is now available if anybody is interested (11GB 1080p AC3 with the English/French Spanish DVD audio mixes). It's the DC blu-ray with the unfinished DC DVD regrade and no FC changes.

I've also finished up a poster idea I had (not sure about the title yet):

You’re still intending the final release to include the FC changes, right? As well as a few of your own changes? I’m very much looking forward to this, but I think I’d rather wait and see the completed finished product.

Moe_Syzlak said:
You’re still intending the final release to include the FC changes, right? As well as a few of your own changes?

Yep that's right.

As excited as I am about this, I really want to wait and see the final masterpiece.

Although tempted, I too will refrain until the work is done.

Had a quirk of inspiration for this mock-up :D

BR.jpg

I've not done anything with polishing the regrade in the last fortnight (I got bored with it) but I've been looking into putting together a sort of bonus feature for the project. I probably mentioned the idea earlier in the thread somewhere? I want to do a version of the film with all the material not in my "Refinalized" cut.

- A blend of all unique material from the Deleted Scenes mini-movie and the Workprint (plus a few shots from the other cuts) combined with the Theatrical Cut voiceover.
- 720p not 1080p because the deleted scenes are SD and the workprint looks rough anyway. All other sources will be PAL DVD (converted back to filmspeed) to blend better.
- No-regrading (maybe a tiny bit to blend sources). I kinda want this to be unpolished and as is.
- As much voiceover as possible.
- If possible I want to use every shot not in the main cut and the smallest amount of other material to make a coherent film.

The ultimate plan is to put both cuts on a 50GB blu-ray for a complete Blade Runner experience on one disc. I'll work on this for a bit and get back to the regrading of the main cut in a while.

Love this idea. I found a similar edit called something like "the version you haven't seen before". I believe it was all deleted footage mixed in with the workprint. I deleted it to make space before I got around to watching it. I'd love to watch this and the regrade back to back.

TM2YC said:
The ultimate plan is to put both cuts on a 50GB blu-ray for a complete Blade Runner experience on one disc. I'll work on this for a bit and get back to the regrading of the main cut in a while.

This is music to my ears...i can finally bin the 4K disc that is wasting space in the case....on second thoughts better keep it so i don't break FE.org rules regarding ownership  :)

Here is a 4-minute sample of this complimentary hybrid cut idea:

It's quite fun trying to find ways to cut up the footage to keep everything unique about all 3 cuts. As little non-unique footage is used as possible and even that is mostly the workprint, which looks different anyway. Yes Harrison's narration is repetitive (and terrible obviously) but I want to include it all for completeness.

I decided to include the old 70s/80s Warner logo at the start of the hybrid cut for fun. This one:

Which I had on my 'Enter the Dragon' blu-ray. Unfortunately it's an early and notoriously bad transfer but the logo looks just fine at standard-def. I like it and was thinking about using it in my regrade as well but I'd need to find a better blu-ray source. Any suggestions?

Plus does anybody know of any evidence of what WB logo originally preceded Blade Runner?

" As much voiceover as possible. "

wKZtjQF.png

Last time (and second, altogether) I've watched it with voiceover it was ADM's extended... I remember it being awful, but not also that contradicting.  It's patched from various cuts in that clip?
Plus does anybody know of any evidence of what WB logo originally preceded Blade Runner?

This article says Bass logo was used up to 1984 when it switched to new shield logo.

Plissken1138 said:
Last time (and second, altogether) I've watched it with voiceover it was ADM's extended... I remember it being awful, but not also that contradicting.  It's patched from various cuts in that clip?

Yeah, it's every bit of narration from the theatrical audio and the deleted scenes. The ifdb listing for that fanedit seems to suggest that some lines of voiceover were cut.

Plissken1138 said:

This article says Bass logo was used up to 1984 when it switched to new shield logo.

Thanks. I could swear that that wonderful movie graphic design site had closed down a couple of years ago, glad it's still there! :) . I never knew that logo was designed by Bass and that page does seem to suggest it would have been some variation of that one in 1982. The Superman black and white one might mesh better with the white on black BR credits (I own that film):

I also really like the inverted Exorcist 2 logo too:

But would I consider buying the reputedly awful Exorcist 2 on blu-ray purely so I could rip the WB logo to use in a fanedit? (of course I would ;) ).

I like the idea of an alternate cut using almost-entirely alternate/deleted footage and as much narration as possible, but I do think the contradictory narration in your clip (Deckard saying he understood cityspeak during the spinner trip to the station and giving a backstory for Gaff, then saying he doesn't understand what Gaff was saying and giving him a different backstory when at the station) is jarring and off-putting, so I think it would be best to avoid that - I'd probably stick with whatever version wasn't given in the theatrical cut and nixing the contradictory parts of the theatrical narration.

Would Argo (2012) work? That had a recreation of that a particular logo.

I'm 28-minutes into the cut and despite me trimming every bit I can think of to slim down the narrative (without removing scenes completely), with the extra pieces it's actually a minute longer than the Theatrical Cut. I'd forgotten how many completely new bits there are in the deleted scenes, like Deckard reading reports on the reps in the Spinner cab and him doing a much longer search of Leon's place. Where I can see opportunitiesy with the non-unique footage, I'm cutting it in different ways to the regular versions, to give characters different reactions.

ChainsawAsh said:
I do think the contradictory narration in your clip... is jarring and off-putting

Those moments will be few I'd imagine and including those odd lines is preferable to having a cut with all the unique bits... except it doesn't :D . Having it all in one cut is the whole point of the endeavor for me.

TheUltimate said:
Would Argo (2012) work? That had a recreation of that a particular logo.

Thanks. Indeed it does. I found it in this video:

I'd prefer an original 35mm version, rather than a digital recreation though. That Argo one does have some visible gate weave and damage, whether it's real I don't know.

macmilln said:
Why would you need to rip it?

To 'own the source' for one reason, plus to have it uncompressed and to have an actual analogue film source element of it, not just a still frame.

Another idea is the blu ray of Enter the Dragon, which has the Saul Bass logo intact.

Back
Top Bottom