• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner 2049: Aerodynamik (TM2YC FanFix) Pace of editing improved

That's exactly the cut I ended up making!  (keep the bee on the hand, but cut the part where he sticks his hand in)

I wasn't even thinking back to the Voigt Kampf, but that's a great catch and nice attention to detail.   Shows K truly is 'more human than human'.

Only about 15-mins left to edit now:

The final Wallace scene has taken a lot of tinkering to get right. Chipping away a few seconds here, then adding back a few seconds there, to get it to flow right. As short as possible but not to feel rushed at any point. The 8-minute scene has been trimmed by 1.18 minutes, again removing no lines, or shots:

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Toned down orange tint
- Regraded dream-Rachel to be closer to the original movie scene
- Swapped one Wallace line to scan better. "Designed to do nothing but fall for her, right then and there... that is if you were designed" (originally he said "All to make that single perfect specimen" in the middle of the sentence.

Regraded dream-Rachel to be closer to the original movie scene

Great work - I am pleased you are leaving Rachel in the edit , however, i do feel if you removed  the dream sequence Rachel this would give the appearance of new Wallace Rachel more impact.

TM2YC, have you considered cutting the VO and flashbacks when K looks at his gun before going to save Deckard? Just to make it a little less in your face as to what the message of the film is.

Last Impressions said:
do feel if you removed  the dream sequence Rachel this would give the appearance of new Wallace Rachel more impact.

Perhaps but I much prefer super slowmo dream Rachel with the Wallace voice-over, to uncanny-valley real Rachel. At this stage I'm just tightening up the editing but I'd certainly like to trim this scene down heavily. Having an up to 8-minute slow dialogue scene right in the middle of the finale (just as it's ramping up) is very odd pacing wise IMO.

darthrush said:
TM2YC, have you considered cutting the VO and flashbacks when K looks at his gun before going to save Deckard? Just to make it a little less in your face as to what the message of the film is.

I haven't considered this part yet but I will. Some of the voiceover/flashback stuff needs retained, otherwise the film won't make sense. e.g. K realising who Deckard's child really is. This is only shown through flashbacks and voiceover.

I agree for him realizing the origin of the child. There is only two instances where I feel the voiceovers/flashbacks don't belong at all and in it's the situation I already talked about above and then the Sapper Lines while K is flying away from the LAPD and going to Wallace corporation building.

Your edit is looking awesome far. Looking forward to the rest of your work!

No edits to this scene of K watching the Joy advert (as I think it's a rare part where the pace of the editing is spot on), just regraded to remove the super-aggressive blue/purple tint. With it removed, there is a whole rainbow of colours in this scene (e.g. the green light behind K is fully blue in the original version):

A little something I experimented with for the opening shots but probably won't use:

EDIT: Also I tried recutting the intro to sync (as closely as possible) with the timing and edits of the original film's Director's Cut (Just for fun):

[Perhaps but I much prefer super slowmo dream Rachel with the Wallace voice-over, to uncanny-valley real Rachel. At this stage I'm just tightening up the editing but I'd certainly like to trim this scene down heavily. Having an up to 8-minute slow dialogue scene right in the middle of the finale (just as it's ramping up) is very odd pacing wise IMO.]

My thoughts exactly.  It's already a slow movie, and this is a part that especially drags toward the end.  One too many slow-going scenes, and by this point I was more so just waiting for the movie to be over with (at least on 2nd viewing and beyond).

This is all a big part of the reason I cut a lot from the 2nd Wallace scene myself, and even trimmed down the comic-book battle with Luv.  Was hoping for something more profound like with Batty, but instead an otherwise elegant and ambiant Blade Runner film suddenly becomes a generic action flick.

Eye Edit
----------
I think what you have here with the eye closing makes more sense than the original film since when we first see Gosling he is asleep. 

That said, in the original Blade Runner I can see the eye being connected to Leon's Voight Kampf, but in 2049 there's really no reason to flash it except to do the same thing as in the original.  The closed eye-lid also appears more ugly than the opened blue eye.  

I might end up trimming through it myself, or at least only displaying the open eye for a few seconds.

Pairing with original music
--------------------------------
I considered doing this as well, but decided the original music didn't match with the newer setting of the farms and solar energy stations(?) in daylight.  I at least couldn't help but think of the original scene at night with all the lights.

All the same, this is a great job of editing, and a nice just-for-fun scene to see.  Maybe that would make for a good YouTube post! :)

I think I've got the opening scene the way I want it now using some ideas from those test clip:

- About 20-seconds cut. No shots removed, they just stay on screen for less time. The pace of the editing is still a little slower than that of the original '82 opening but I think this pace fits the Zimmer music.
- Regraded to increase contrast so the images aren't so horribly flat and dull. It's never going to look spectacular like the original movie opening but whatcha gonna do?
- Re-sequenced the shots to be more like the '82 opening style. Eye shot split in two and moved forward. Some other shots reordered slightly. Now we first open on a slow fade up on the solar farm.
- Onscreen "California 2049" title edited out. I didn't like it.

The subtle differences really work good job. I love the eye split as it breaks up sleepy time.  In the original i thought K stood for kipping replicant

Last Impressions said:
The subtle differences really work good job. I love the eye split as it breaks up sleepy time.  In the original i thought K stood for kipping replicant

I think having the eye mixed into the montage gives the whole thing more of a dreamlike quality, like the '82 opening.

I've made some artwork for this first phase of the edit, which will be called "Aerodynamik" after the awesome Kraftwerk song (they are a very Blade Runner band in my imagination) and because that's what this edit kinda is about:

I've decided to release this purely streamlined version separately from a more extensive edit I will then work on. That will have a different title (to be determined). I'm concentrating on completing the grade across the timeline before tackling the final confrontation, so we're getting close.

Posting just because...

TM2YC said:
Last Impressions said:

I think having the eye mixed into the montage gives the whole thing more of a dreamlike quality, like the '82 opening.

I've made some artwork for this first phase of the edit, which will be called "Aerodynamik" after the awesome Kraftwerk song (they are a very Blade Runner band in my imagination) and because that's what this edit kinda is about:

I've decided to release this purely streamlined version separately from a more extensive edit I will then work on. That will have a different title (to be determined). I'm concentrating on completing the grade across the timeline before tackling the final confrontation, so we're getting close.

Posting just because...

Two of my favourite things in the world - Kraftwerk and Blade Runner .

What does anybody think of this scene change...?

I'm going to try to make an effort to finish the grade this weekend.

TM2YC said:
What does anybody think of this scene change...?

I'll be honest - I've only seen the film once and I can't remember that scene. Are you asking narratively or editing-wise? The cut I'm assuming you made was at 11 seconds? It felt a bit sudden to me.

The Scribbling Man said:
Are you asking narratively or editing-wise? The cut I'm assuming you made was at 11 seconds? It felt a bit sudden to me.

Editing-wise and yes that one. I can't find a youtube clip of the original scene to compare unfortunately.

I think it's just the moment that it cuts away that feels a bit unnatural. Maybe it's because you're cutting away from a close up of Gosling to a wider shot of him in a different room? There's something about it that feels mildly disorientating.

It says the embed code is invalid, but clearly Scribbling Man was able to watch it, so I don't know what's going on at my end.

It was there, but it's saying the same thing on my end too.

There was a recent update to the forum software. Please bear with us as we try to sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom