• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner 2049: Aerodynamik (TM2YC FanFix) Pace of editing improved

First, let me say I absolutely prefer this version to the theatrical. But a video on Dune’s editing recently posted to the YouTube thread got me thinking. The editor talks about the editing having a rhythm. @TM2YC I’m curious if you were aware of a rhythm while editing and if you consciously looked to remove a beat or two rather than, say, 2.37 beats, which might upset the rhythm discussed in the YouTube video.

I thought very carefully about the timing of each edit and how it effected the pace of the scene and the pace of the cutting within the scene but I didn't think or care about "rhythm", for rhythms sake (except when I was deliberately timing with the score), just what felt natural to me and natural to the movement of character, flow of dialogue, tone and activity within the shot etc.

I had zero problems with the pace of editing on 'Dune' (it felt just right at all times) so it's suprising to know it was the same guy that helped make 2049 such a "taking me out of the movie with the bad editing" experience. I had more problems with how the story was edited in Dune.

Thanks for the response. I’m not an editor, but as a musician (such that I am), I found the idea of an internal beat dictating the cuts fascinating. Obviously when there’s music, that dictates the beat, when the beat is there. It’s almost like what if the editor had a beat of 90 bpm in mind rather 70 bpm? Would that have made the movie move better? I’m sure I’m also assigning too much responsibility to this one idea. There’s no doubt that Villeneuve had a large impact on that movie’s pace. Anyway, I think it would be interesting to see if there is a consistent pulse going on for stretches with the original editing. I mean could you start tapping your foot and predict the next cut? I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I do edit to a "rhythm", but I don't think that's necessarily any different to what TM2YC describes (or what the video is essentially communicating). It's more a matter of language, and I think I happen to use that language and view it that way because I am a musician first. When I initially make cuts, I go on what feels right, according to the pace of the scene, when I as a viewer "expect" a cut to happen. Often this does involve me feeling a sort of rhythm, sometimes even unconsciously waving my hand to an imaginary beat to match what I'm feeling internally, as a way of detecting where the right point of the cut should be during playback.

I recently finished reading "In the Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch (the editor for Apocalypse Now and The Godfather, among others), and he also seemed to describe a similar approach, albeit in a different language. Murch draws parallels between editing and the way we see the world, and talks of how blinking in real life, glancing from one thing to the next, sleeping and then waking... is like cuts in a film; that film imitates life and doesn't jar as we'd suppose, due to how scene transitions often relate to how we view the world. He talks of cuts almost occurring at a point where you would normally blink. Of course, the opposite can also be applied (and often is) as a way of throwing off the audience and making them feel uncomfortable. The book (more of a lecture transcription) is a fantastic read overall, which I would recommend to anyone who edits in whatever capacity.

Hi!
I made subtitles for this movie!
https://paste.bingner.com/paste/wdgwh
Use the Download button at the top, rename from .txt to .SRT and place it in the same folder as the video!

This link will only be active for 14 days, since pastebin does not accept curse words:poop:

Back
Top Bottom