• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Blade Runner 2049: Aerodynamik (TM2YC FanFix) Pace of editing improved

I think I've got the finished timeline:

13-minutes cut in total. Time to render and watch this back.

Congratulations, TM2YC!  Curious to watch this as I found the original interesting but very, very diluted.

Seeing a TM2YC timeline is like watching Jordan in the finals. You can't deny the talent and you can't achieve the same greatness (yet ;)).

TM2YC said:
I think I've got the finished timeline:

13-minutes cut in total. Time to render and watch this back.

That timeline is like a piece of art - if mine was art it would look like a Jackson Pollock.....i have a lot to learn :D

It almost feels like there should be some sort of "Timeline Gallery", where we can all stroke our chins and beards while we view and ponder on the artistic beauty of well organised timelines.

'Blade Runner 2049: Aerodynamik' is completed, released and on ifdb.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/blade-runner-2049-aerodynamik/

br2049_aerodynamik_3dview.jpg

Tagline: "No scenes removed. No shots removed. No lines removed. 13 minutes shorter"

Movie Runtime: 163 Minutes
Fanedit Runtime: 150 Minutes
Time Cut: 13 Minutes
Cuts Made: 429

Some screenshot comparisons (click image to see super size 3840 x 12200 comparison):

1920x800 / 11.7gb MKV / AC3 448

Cutlist:

General plan of changes:

- Regraded the film scene-by-scene and shot-by-shot (if needed) to tone down excessive tinting, make blacks black (not grey), make whites white (not grey), lighten up scenes that were impenetrably dark, increase saturation in some scenes, decrease saturation in other places and generally make things look more varied and contrasty.
- Removed overlayed location titles because the '82 film had none and the information isn't really important.
- Made some (hopefully invisible) VisFX tweaks t ofix continuity mistakes and combine multiple takes into single shots.
- Reordered some lines and shots, mostly to facilitate removals of dead time but these changes are rare.
Cuts and Additions:

I've made 429 tiny cuts to the length of shots which are far too numerous and small to list but here is a list of other more significant changes:

00.00.00 - TM2YC and FE.org titlecards added.
00.02.18 - Opening sequence rearranged and shortened to more closely approximate the faster pace and intercutting style of the '82 opening e.g. the eye is now in two shots in the middle and we open on a slow fade up timed to the music.
00.02.36 - Removed part of shot that had the opening location title.
00.03.47 - FX tweak to time the spinner door closing with K clicking the thing in his hand.
00.04.59 - Added slow zoom in on the kitchen to make it more of a Sapper POV and to smooth in the cut to Sapper already in motion in the next shot.
00.07.05 - Reordered shots to increase pace and to make the timing of the gun being placed on the table more menacing.
00.10.24 - Tweaked yellow flower in long shot so it's more prominent. Also added slow zoom in on tree and animated spinner window to match new camera move.
00.11.46 - Shortened flying sequence and timed the cuts to the drum beats on the soundtrack.
00.11.52 - Matted the window to adjust the grade separately in order to maintain a consistently grey sky.
00.12.34 - Matted the window to adjust the grade separately in order to maintain a consistently grey sky.
00.13.02 - FX tweak to remove the baseline onscreen title.
00.22.32 - FX tweak to fix continuity error by adding Madam's elbow to the edge of the autopsy table.
00.23.18 - Rearranged a couple of lines to aid the removal of some dead time and to make the conversation flow better.
00.23.45 - Added slow zoom in on K's face to make the shot more impactful.
00.25.12 - FX tweak to combine two halves of this shot so K reacts to Madam quicker.
00.26.09 - Adjusted grade of two shots to fix mis-match of neon lighting colour across the cut.
00.26.29 - FX tweak to remove Wallace onscreen title.
00.27.42 - FX tweak to re-time Luv and what is on her computer screen.
00.31.57 - FX tweak to combine two halves of this shot so Luv reacts quicker to K's comment.
00.43.54 - Added slow zoom onto the carving to make the shot more focused.
00.46.56 - FX tweak to combine three parts of this shot so Madam and K's conversation occurs quicker.
00.48.27 - FX tweak to make the gap between Madam's lines shorter.
00.48.43 - Added slow zoom out to the first 2 seconds of this shot to increase the menace in Madam's stare.
00.49.19 - FX tweak to re-time computer screen readout.
00.49.54 - Added slow zoom to shot of screen to make it feel more like a natural POV from K.
00.53.31 - Several shots in this sequence had to have the windows matted and colour timed differently to maintain a properly graded cockpit but keep the skies grey and overcast.
00.54.36 - Did my best to correct what I believe to be an FX error. Joy's head was partially transparent, so I've made the black of her hair black again to look more solid. It's improved but not fixed.
00.56.18 - Sped up pace of K waking up, this meant I had to carefully re-time each of the heavy bass beats of the music, so the gaps between them were all consistent to the new pace.
01.03.00 - Added slow zoom to make the shot more focused on what K is looking at.
01.04.46 - Added slow zoom to make the shot more focused on what K is looking at.
01.07.11 - Added slow zoom in on horse to make the shot a little more intense.
01.09.12 - FX tweak to combine two halves of this shot to decrease the gap between lines.
01.12.47 - Added slow zooms in on K and Ana's faces to make them a little more intense.
01.13.13 - Cropped shot of K's face tighter to be more focused on his reaction and to maintain consistency with the new earlier zoomed shot.
01.13.37 - Added slow zoom and camera tracking move to focus in much more on K flipping out.
01.18.26 - FX tweak to combine two halves of this shot to decrease the gap between lines.
01.35.26 - Added slow zoom to draw more focus to the dog.
01.42.36 - Added slow zoom in on K's face to make the shot more interesting and intense.
02.16.20 - Brought forward shot of Deckard looking down at the horse to increase pace and drama. FX tweak to re-time movement of K's arm.
02.16.35 - FX tweak to combine two halves of this shot to improve pacing.
02.18.18 - Reordered ending shots to intercut K and the snow, with Ana and the snow, timed to the existing Vangelis music.
02.19.17 - Added slow zoom out and upwards from K's body to give his last shot more finality.

'Aerodynamik' is intended as an experiment in almost purely removing dead time and leaving the rest as unaltered as possible. For those like me that felt BR2049's main fault was the extremely slow pace of the editing. I will create a new thread for a more extensive fanedit of BR2049 that I may do at some point down the road. That will feature shots, lines, scenes removed and reordered, different music etc.

Hey TM2YC
Excited to see your edit of BR2049but couldn't find it on .info, is it released somewhere else?

Cheers, Paul

Congratulations once again @"TM2YC"!  Can’t wait to see it.

^ Thanks.

Paden said:
Hey TM2YC
Excited to see your edit of BR2049but couldn't find it on .info, is it released somewhere else?

Cheers, Paul

A PM is the first and best place to ask questions like this.

I threw together a BD size cover for anyone who might want to put this BD. The spine was borrowed from your DVD cover and resized to fit.

The design doesn’t look bad, but the images look kind of squashed.  If you fixed that, the cover would be very good.

Canon Editor said:
The design doesn’t look bad, but the images look kind of squashed.  If you fixed that, the cover would be very good.

Agreed and ditto the spine. Never squash images or videos. With the squashing fixed that'll make a fine BD cover.

Just getting back onto FanEdit after a long hiatus.  

I'm liking much of what you've done here in terms of regrading, continuity, motion matching, zooms, and coloring.  

On note of recoloring some scenes, perhaps you could adjust your cover to match the regrading you did in your edit.  Whereas you removed much of the orangeness in your edit, what you have above for your cover appears more alike to the original film.

That said, congrats on completing your edit, and expect a PM from me with a request!

p.s. Kraftwerk are one of my newest favorite bands to discover, the Tour de France album in particular!

jyndir said:
My guess is they were just looking for a quick and dirty reminder of her hologram-ness. She can look a bit too corporeal in some scenes. On the matter of continuity - I was surprised at how obvious some of the errors are in this film. Most are easily fixed (which begs the question as to why they weren't dealt with by the editors), but there's a nasty one in the "Are you telling me 'No'?" scene with Madam and K that I'm still working on. Madam is half way to her desk in one shot and then she's back leaning against the window sill the next. Messy. Harrison Ford's instant hair-drying in the Luv vs K scene cracked me up - but turned out to be pretty easy to iron out (and increase the tension in the scene at the same time).

Nice catch on the continuity!  (the Joshi part) 

As more of a beginning editor myself, I didn't even notice in this case!   (But I suppose neither will a majority of viewers, or if they do, they won't really mind ;)

Not seeing the wet/dry hair part, on the other hand, and your posted video didn't appear to be accessible for me (I don't see a posted password, at least).  That said, your B&W edit in the other thread sounds great!  Will be checking into that soon as well!

Can I get subtitles for the fan edit or would that be too difficult?

ajtpak said:
Can I get subtitles for the fan edit or would that be too difficult?

I didn't make subtitles for the edit, sorry.

Edited post
Edit2: there's no surround sound, it's stereo unfortunately.  I mention below the rain scene, there was some audio in my surround speakers, but that's just a fluke.  Why isn't it surround?  Originalish post in spoiler.  Going to seek another fanedit that shapes this overlong but amazing film into a slightly shorter view, but with surround sound maintained.  The sound in this movie is the best in any movie in my opinion, one of the main takeaways for me when I saw it in the theater.  Thanks for the hard work on the edit though!

I (was) struggling to find information on the audio here.  

I [was starting to think there is ] surround, even though, it was barely perceptible at the early scenes of the film edit.  Regarding my home theater setup, my Plex says Stereo sound for TM2YC's edit, and for my original (digital) non-fanedit version - it says 5.1

But later into the scenes in the TM2YC edit, suddenly I'm hearing it, I believe it's correct - noticeable firstly when the virtual girlfriend goes outside the apartment with him, into the rain. 

So ok I'm going to get back to watching and drinking fucking wine.  Thanks for the work on the edit.  I really feel that 13 minutes, meticulously sculpted away, helps smooth it out to a perfect length, overall, and per scene.

I wanted to watch the original after this for once in that direction just because.  Damn when you get into Bladerunner mode.... not much else matters :)  Even played the videogame a bit

First, let me say I absolutely prefer this version to the theatrical. But a video on Dune’s editing recently posted to the YouTube thread got me thinking. The editor talks about the editing having a rhythm. @TM2YC I’m curious if you were aware of a rhythm while editing and if you consciously looked to remove a beat or two rather than, say, 2.37 beats, which might upset the rhythm discussed in the YouTube video.

Back
Top Bottom